Zipp 404 vs Fulcrum 1
    RoadBikeReview Member

Zipp 404 vs Fulcrum 1

Anyone out there own both sets? Any thoughts. Cost isn't really a concern. I prefer any posts focus on ride quality between the two as it relates to transmitting vibration. I'd also be interested in the long term durability of the 404 clinchers.

Moderatus Puisne
    aw, geez, don't tell me you are going to train on these?

BTW, If you prefer to focus on ride quality, why are these two wheelsets the choices?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    aw, geez, don't tell me you are going to train on these?

BTW, If you prefer to focus on ride quality, why are these two wheelsets the choices?
    They are the kit options for a bike. More than likely will end up the Fulcrum as I am just not much of a deep section rim fan. If I want more choices I can just sell them off I suppose and buy another set. I have no real attachment to either. I had some Fulcrum 7 for everyday wheels on my old bike. Liked them okay except for the trademark pain in the arse with certain tires aspect that Campy wheels have.

Jul 2004

Lightbulb

i have 404s on an aluminum bike and Fulcrum Racing Zeros on a carbon bike.

i don't notice a difference in a transmission of vibration but i wouldn't expect to unless i tried both sets of wheels on each frame. i can't do this because the aluminum bike is ultegra and the carbon is chorus.

i must be really tolerant or just don't care because if the wheels are stiff and respond the way i want, then i'm not concerned nor do i notice "ride comfort".

to me, "vibration transmission", is going to come more from the tires, from which, i notice any change or difference than the wheels.

ps i love both sets of wheels and wouldn't hesitate to buy either set again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    I've got a Cervelo R3 with both Fulcrum 1's for regular riding and 404 tubulars for "special: days. Over bumps, the fulcrums have a solid "thunk" sound and in fact you feel more of the road imperfections through them. The 404's ride very smooth, They almost feel like your tires are soft. i run 120 psi in both wheels so the difference may be do to the compliance of the tubular tires. I run Conti Competitions on the 404's and Michelin Pro race 2's on the fulcrums. The 404's feel like they spin up faster (they are much lighter than the fulcrums), and the feeling of the aero advantage is there, but quite subtle and perhaps more psychogical than anything. In any case, you can't go wrong with either.

No team-cest unless 8+!
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    Anyone out there own both sets? Any thoughts. Cost isn't really a concern. I prefer any posts focus on ride quality between the two as it relates to transmitting vibration. I'd also be interested in the long term durability of the 404 clinchers.

404s are the definition of playaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    I also have a Cervelo R3. I dont have Fulcrums but I do have Mavic ES wheels. I didnt think the ride could get anymore comfortable until I tried 404s. It seemed to dampen the vibration even more. Remarkable wheels except I live in an area that is normally windy ranging from 10-25 mph. What I didnt like was the way the bike handled with the 404s and crosswinds. S C A R Y!!!!!