2009 Cross Bikes, post them up
Page 1 of 16 123 ... LastLast
    flinty-eyed moderator

2009 Cross Bikes, post them up

Thought it might be nice to see what people are running now. Just got my Orbea back from its SRAM-ification. Wheels are completely un-exciting Ultegra/Open Pro's right now for training/offseason.

Bike is an Orbea custom cross, Alpha Q carbon cross fork, SRAM Red, Pauls Neo Retros, FSA crank, BB, front derailler, seatpost, Al bar, Ritchey WCS Al stem, KMC10SL chain, Specialized Toupe saddle.

iPhone quicky photos at shop:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-orbea-1.jpg   2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-orbea-3.jpg   2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-orbea-2.jpg   2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-ec90slx-red.jpg  
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

flinty-eyed moderator
    At 421 posts, the last thread (the second of its kind no less) was getting a bit unwieldy. So a third age of the "post your cross bike" thread is here. Prolific posters of the cross forum, I salute you! Now show me shiny picture of your cross bike already.

Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

flinty-eyed moderator

Number 2 on the course.

From early last season. . .

Eventually the Thomson layback went on the Soma, a Thomson 0 degree went on the Scattante and the Soma got a twin DA/GL330 wheelset with Grifo 34s (better clearance) and a polished Kinesis Al fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-bikes.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Dang how's the weather up there?

Number 2 on the course.
    Heh. You can see why I have no use for sloping TTs.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Or gears?

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Or gears?
    They were both geared for two races. Probably won't be ever again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Both set up in dirt road and/or commuter mode...

Number 2 on the course.

Also in the household. . .

I've posted this CrossCheck in its previous SS incarnation. Sorry about the mess in the background. It was geared full-time last season. It also had a color-matched steel fork for a while. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-surly.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

2009 Sycip CX/Touring Hybrid

Here is my new build. Enjoy.

The knobbies are on back order......coming soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-cx-touring-driveside.jpg   2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-cx-touring-nondrive.jpg   2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-cx-touring-front.jpg   2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-cx-touring-back.jpg   2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-cx-touring-low-front-angle.jpg  

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    I saw Sycip at NAHBS in Indy and liked the quality.
    There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

Game on, b*tches!
    Dag. That thing makes Peebuttnutter's bike look tiny
    Nice bike, BTW.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram
    Dag. That thing makes Peebuttnutter's bike look tiny
    Nice bike, BTW.
    No kidding. Good to see a normal looking bike.

Game on, b*tches!
    My Bonfire. Changed from the last time I posted it in that I now run a 1x10, have Tektro cr720's up front and Oryx in the back (I may ditch the rear and go with another 720-not thrilled with the Oryx), Ritchy WCS stem and Bar and a differnt seat. I would like to go with yet another seat (white) this yr as I'll be running white Challenge XS tires a lot of the time plus new wheels. That should be it for this yr.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Cross Bikes, post them up-b1.jpg  
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    I've posted this CrossCheck in its previous SS incarnation. Sorry about the mess in the background. It was geared full-time last season. It also had a color-matched steel fork for a while. . .

That fork looks a bit wonky...or is it just me?

Edit: 'Had'...I get stuff.
    Last edited by hawss; 03-11-2009 at 12:21 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

scattante cross...

here's my new rain trainer (built just in time to miss all the rain). I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out. The only "new money" spent was on the frame ($150. thanks craigslist.) H2O cages, fenders, brake shoes and a f.der adapter. Prolly $250 total.

Everything else was in parts boxes or begged/stolen from friends garages. tri-aligns, bar end shifters, an Ned autographed bottle from 1998 LOL!. I may have to get a new saddle. 30 minutes into a 4 hour ride and I remembered why the aspide was sitting on a shelf.

I was even surprised by the weight. 20.85lbs as shown (that's a powertap rear and wire bead 700x28 Gatorskins....not svelte). not too shabby for a cross commuter.

...and yes, I admit it's a bit pimpy w/ the red+white accents, but it's down right bland relative to my others.

Last edited by crankles; 03-11-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    Well put together Urban Assault Bike.
    There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    New Surly Crosscheck 58. Finished it few days ago. Drives like a dream. Sorry about the tires I'll get some cross tires soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

a CX bike for my daughter

A Nice low cost frame. Carbonfiber seat stays and fork, very light. The bike comes in at about 18 Lbs.

12-27 105 cassette, 105 rear derailleur, Ultegra front derailleur, FSA Gossamer crank: 46t & 36, Mavic Open Pro Wheels & 105 hubs

FSA compact drop bars, BBB carbon stem, 105 Brifters Tektro brakes and cross bar levers

Planet Bike blaze blinky, Light & Motion steady beam, Planet bike superflash on the seat stay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

weird huh?

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Eventually the Thomson layback went on the Soma, a Thomson 0 degree went on the Scattante and the Soma got a twin DA/GL330 wheelset with Grifo 34s (better clearance) and a polished Kinesis Al fork.

But man.........is that the old Benotto slicky bar tape on the Soma? That stuff scares me!

Number 2 on the course.
    The Benotto is not that bad, but I keep my hands on the hoods pretty much all the time. Since that is my pit bike, it also does a nice job of keeping clean while laying in the grass.

RFC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

1998 Litespeed Appalachian

I just picked up this1998 Litespeed Appalachian. What a great little bike. It is my bike path, canal path, frontage road ride.

Oh, and the Mavic CXP 14 rims are very funky.

F1000SL
    Aug 2006

Hey Peanuts how is the element as a

bike transport, is on my to get next vehicle list.
    All I've ever asked of my Marines is for them to obey my orders as they would the word of God.

Do you know what Nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent,

<a href="mailto:cis181ellin@yahoo.com">USAC coach</a>

Number 2 on the course.
    The Element rules. I can fit four bikes (inc. both my 60cm frames) three racers and gear on the inside without much hassle (front wheels off). Nice when the guy parked next to you is de-icing his handlebars after taking his bike off the roof rack. As you can see, there is so much room with both the rear seats removed that you can be a real slob.

My only wish is that it was a hybrid. But since the seats slide forward enough for me to lay down without being diagonal (I'm 6'3), if it comes down to rent or gas money I can sleep comfortably in the car.

Page 1 of 16 123 ... LastLast