2013 Raleigh RXC canti Pro vs 2017 Trek Boone 7 canti- which is better
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Looking to purchase a used CX bike-any thoughts as to which would be the better choice for primarily road as well as some off road touring-no cyclocross racing. Handling & comfort important. In reading reviews the couplers on the Trek do require special maintenance. There a no local LBS so I would have to maintain myself. Any advice appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hartley1 View Post
    Looking to purchase a used CX bike-any thoughts as to which would be the better choice for primarily road as well as some off road touring-no cyclocross racing. Handling & comfort important. In reading reviews the couplers on the Trek do require special maintenance. There a no local LBS so I would have to maintain myself. Any advice appreciated.
    If you're trying to guess off of an anonymous e-bay bid, you're rolling the dice. Both bikes seem to have close geometry, but the Boone does have seem to have an extra 0.5 inch of BB drop which will add to the stability factor. Don't worry about the coupler maintenance on the Trek, it's not that big of a deal and if you're riding the bike enough to warrant that maintenance, you'll be happy to research and do it yourself. So I think the Trek has the upper hand in handling and comfort. I didn't look at component specs much, but it seems that it's Shimano (RXC) vs. SRAM (Boone), plus consider the wheels. But if handing and comfort are important, Trek seems to be the better option. Ride both bikes before deciding if you have the chance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Canít comment on the Raleigh but I just built up a Trek Boone (Ultegra) that is also going to do double duty as a road bike with a separate set of wheels.
    I cannot believe how nice it rides on dirt, gravel, limestone roads. The isospeed does make a difference, more than I expected. Very happy I went with this frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by floridave; 12-16-2018 at 07:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hartley1 View Post
    In reading reviews the couplers on the Trek do require special maintenance.
    I haven't heard of anyone doing "maintenance" on those couplers, and I know several people that have the Boone Cross bikes that use them for cross and gravel. I've got over 20,000 miles on my Domane with the same coupler and have never had to do any maintenance on it. I wouldn't let that be a deterrent from getting a Boone if thats what you really want.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett