29er rims with 32mm cx tubulars
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

29er rims with 32mm cx tubulars

Hi,

Do you know if a UCI legal cx tubular stick well to a typical 29er 24-25mm cross country rim ? I've heard that the shallower bed of major toms are not that well suited to narrow road tubulars compared to standard road rims, so may it be the same for XC rims with narrower cross tubulars ? Or should I just continue using cx/road specific rims ?

Thanks
    Tomi

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Which XC 29'er tubular rims are you looking at??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Not anyone in particular. A friend is interested at cx bikes with disc brakes but most are sold with clincher wheels and he'd like to use tubular. He is looking at the market and doesn't see many highend road or cx specific wheelset for disc brakes. If he wants to make the switch he'd better not pull the trigger too late as he wants to sold his current bikes/wheels and spend the money on wheels before the season starts.

he see two options:
    -custom builds using road/cx tubular rims.
    -buying factory build 29er tubular wheelsets

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    I assume you mean tubeless 29er XC rims rather than tubular as wasn't aware tubular XC tyres were even available?

In that case you would be comparing a tubular with a tubeless so two different things all together.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kerley View Post
    I assume you mean tubeless 29er XC rims rather than tubular as wasn't aware tubular XC tyres were even available?

In that case you would be comparing a tubular with a tubeless so two different things all together.

Well, there are 29'er tubular tires and rims, but I don't know who here has glued an actual CX tire to them. They are rare and $$$.

For CX purposes I would just use a normal road rim. I have carbon ebay rims laced up to disc hubs for my CX'er.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerley View Post
    I beleive Enve is currently the only manufacturer offering tubular 29er (carbon). While not disc specific, I have been considering the options and was thinking that a good disc specific cx tubululars would include the Enve Smart 3.4 front rims but am also considering a Zipp 303 Firecrest tubular rims with either DT or similar disc hubs.
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I have the same question as I was considering ordering some rims from europe. There are more tubulars over there and some of the manufacturers don't import. There is an aluminum 29er tubular (FRM XMD 309) that is a reasonable weight and price but I was wondering about how a 32mm glued up when it was designed for a wider tire. It won't be long till more road tubular rims are wider, as well as clinchers. For now there are not many cheap alternatives (meaning they are carbon)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    I beleive Enve is currently the only manufacturer offering tubular 29er (carbon). While not disc specific, I have been considering the options and was thinking that a good disc specific cx tubululars would include the Enve Smart 3.4 front rims but am also considering a Zipp 303 Firecrest tubular rims with either DT or similar disc hubs.
    There are other manufacturers:
    Tufo
    DTSwiss
    AX Lightness
    probably others