Any appreciable difference btw. Shimano 105 and Ultegra?

May 2002

Any appreciable difference btw. Shimano 105 and Ultegra?

IS there any 'real' difference between 105 and Ultegra? Or enough to make a poor kid like me spend his extra beer $$ on Ultegra over 105? I'm thinking about 105 STI and rear derailleur for my new 'crosser, along with a SRAM caseette and chain.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Not Banned
    Ultegra a tad smoother and lighter. Seriously if you are on a budget, get some Bar Ends and regular brake levers ( you can get a D/A set up for way cheaper than 105). get the SRAM cassette (MTB?) and an XT or XTR rear der. or 105 if you go road cassette. Cheaper, more reliable, works in all conditions, cheaper, will last longer, did I say CHEAPER yet? seriously if you are on a budget this is the way to go.

May 2002
    I've used bar-cons in the past and wasn't totally thrilled with them. I found in hard to shift on the fly on trails and such.

Apr 2000

Practice, practice, practice...

Yeah, it does require a leap of faith and a pretty steep learning curve when you first start using barcons off-road--I had some amusing (for the spectators, at least) wrecks during the first couple of months after I went from STI to barcons just because it seemed so unnatural to me. Always seemed like there was a tree root or a deep rut just waiting for me to take a hand off the hood and reach down for that stubby lever....

Of course, you could turn a set of barcons into thumbshifters, if Paul still has any of that special run of road Thumbies left. Best upgrade since topmount brake levers!

May 2002

Talking Ok, now to make this more complicated...

I have been offered this for $150:

Shimano Tiagra 9-spd. STI
    Truvativ Elita ISIS cranks (triple, so I'd need new chainrings)
    Avid Shorty 4 brakes (f&r)

Now, I might not know much, but that seems like a hell of a deal -- too good to pass up.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Colin_S; 03-01-2004 at 09:06 PM.

Not Banned

chainrings

maybe not. I know a few people (myself included) running MTB cranks. You can pitch the granny and run the 48 (or 46) -36 (34) NO trouble. gives you slightly lower gear but I've never in a race found myself needing a 48-11 or 12. The Avids are okay but tend to squeal like a stuck pig on the front wheel. you'll have to check the old board to research. I had the 6's and got rid of them cause of this. Understand the trepidation about bar cons but it's really not all that bad.

May 2002
    Well, the Elita is a road triple so it's 50-42-34 or whatever. Seems like a good deal, though.

Not Banned
    Elita, throw a chain guard on the outer ring and run 42/34 or throw 2 on for a single 42. it would be fine for race day, alot of pros run 42 singles. Page ran a 50 last season

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    Elita, throw a chain guard on the outer ring and run 42/34 or throw 2 on for a single 42. it would be fine for race day, alot of pros run 42 singles. Page ran a 50 last season
    Page used an FSA Energy 50/34 crank. I am seriously contemplating swapping out my Ultegra 53/39 for the FSA, could always use more lower gears(in my case).

When I got my present rig off ebay, it was equipped with bar cons, which I really loved after about 5 minutes on it. My old reliable road bike had down-tube shifters & now, my hannds never have to leave the drops. Woo! Hoo! Reason to celebrate!

ex pro grad student
    Oct 2002
    i love ultegra and feel that it is pretty close to DA.

with that said i can't afford more than 105.

the new ultegra (gotta love trickle down) in the next year or so will be sick.
    You won't eat our meat but you glue with our feet.

Not Banned

FSA energy

they make it in 48/34 as well