bad sew-up !

Thread: bad sew-up !

weird huh?

bad sew-up !

Sigh, finally had to happen I guess. Just mounted (read glued) a new pair of Vittoria file treads. Did the whole '84' hour thing to finally do it right. Anyway, first ride out....thumpa thumpa thumpa.

I was super careful mounting and aligning them, so wtf? I go to pull off the offending rear tire to see where I messed up and I spot a bulge. Tire was mounted straight, but there is an expansion (even along both sidewalls) creating what looks like a smaller diameter feeding into a bigger diameter tire. If you were to measure where it is pronounced, one measurement would be 32mm and the other maybe 38mm. Didnt notice when I had them stretching out before I glued them. It's like the tire 'grows' in width for about 3 inches, then reduces to its normal width.

I'm assuming a manufacturing defect, unless anyone else chimes in with experience with this.

Absolutely not dissing Vittoria's. Have had great luck with this tire in the past. Shoulda paid more attention before I voided the warranty by applying glue !

Oh, and did anyone else ever get Mastic between their toes and not notice it until they're wearing shoes and socks at work the next day?

just sayin'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    Never wear sandals while gluing tubulars.

just sayin'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by strathconaman
    Never wear sandals while gluing tubulars.

just sayin'
    words to live by for sure.......

Aug 2006
    I'd get in touch with Vittoria about that, you prolly voided the warranty, but never hurts. Maybe they'll be cool, get you a new one at cost or something.

Sounds like there is a casing failure, likely at the seam (under the base tape), I have had this happen to tubulars that have been raced a bit, not something that should happen whilst the mastik is drying. Good Luck.
    If your beer isn't Belgian you ain't racin' 'Cross!