• 09-17-2004
    theraindog
    Cannondale Cyclocross Disc or Redline Conquest Disc R?
    Pretty self-explanatory.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5XR1.html

or

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/modul...uest-discR.htm

Discs are a must, but otherwise, I have no preference. I'll be riding a little road to and from singletrack that ranges from practically paved to pretty technical. No fire roads, no dirt roads, no rail roads. Plenty of rain and mud, but very little snow. I'm 6'0, ~180lbs, longish upper body and stumpy leg... been riding both road and mountain for at least a decade.

I don't want to spend more than the Cannondale, and I dont' want to wait for the Kona Sutra to show up in April 2005. Oh, and I'm a total 'cross newbie. Wanted to give myself some extra challenge on trails that are just too easy on my 5"/5" mountain bike and riding my cobbled together rigid single speed to and from the trailhead is no fun, especially in traffic.

Any idea which bike will take more abuse? Be better suited for tighter singletrack? A better deal overall?

Thanks
  • 09-17-2004
    xdisc
    C dale vs redline
    If you decide on the Redline I wanted to plug Bicycleblowout.
    I purchased a Conquest pro 54cm for $1100.00. Non disc.
    Unfortunately I needed a little more stand over and no 52's were in stock. so I had to send it back. They were very good to deal with.
    The Disc-R's are the same price .
    Note: These are 04's so they wont have the same paint or sloping top tube as the 05.
    also a review in Bicycling Mag said that the BB on the Disc-R sits a little lower than on the Conquest. Keep that in mind for the singletrack.
    here's the link: http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID40386...sc-R-2004.aspx
  • 09-17-2004
    Wade Kelly
    Am much interested in this thread and hope you get a lot of activity.

Both of these bikes look really nice. Would be extra nice if the mfg.'s would provide removable canti bosses on the seat stay and fork so one could switch to canti brakes as are required in sanctioned Cross races. The CC, Colorado Cyclist, Project Cross offers this "double duty" frame & fork set in a built-up bike with canti's in 6000 series alum.

Am also in the mode for a "hybrid" cross bike. My wants are simple. :) Red color, downtube dX routing, dt shifter bosses on the down tube, sloping top tube, disk tabs *and* removable canti bosses. At this point may have to take a welding class, buy the tubes and build my own, which is on my long list of things to do anyhow, as also want to build up a recum"Bent" frame, etc.

BTW, am more interested in the top tube dimension than the "size" of the bike as like to run a 110mm stem "zero" rise [ parallel to the ground] to size the bike & pay keen attention to the "cockpit" dimension measured from the CC of the BB to the CL of the bars, a la klein.

Note, Seven-Cycles catalog has some interesting points on this top tube sloping business that make some sense. Otherwise, prefer the "classical" horizontal top tube.

Cheers all,
    -WK
  • 09-17-2004
    Gripped
    Get the Crack-n-fail. The Redline has a 130mm rear spacing so only one disc hub in the world fits it -- the one on the Velocity Sagitta. The Cannondale takes 135 so when you get tired of those stock Coda hubs, you can get some real wheels -- maybe with King hubs ...

Dunno how much the Giant TCX costs but it has disc tabs as does the K2 Enemy.
  • 09-17-2004
    atpjunkie
    he's longish in the body
    as am I and C'Dales tend to be short in the TT. try one for fit before buying.
    agreed there's other mfrs w/ disc tabs
    Redline better bang for the $$$
    discs on cx bikes are over rated. even for trail riding. if you want 'more of a challenge' than your 5/5 (Disc equipped I assume, as is my MTB) run canti's, rigid-canti-narrow tired....= increased bike handling skill.
  • 09-17-2004
    theraindog
    I know I can get other frames/bikes with disc tabs, but from a cost perspective, adding discs and rebuilding wheels on an existing bike doesn't seem as economical. Maybe I'm wrong, though. I certainly wouldn't mind something like a Major Jake built up with discs and 105ish components, but getting it done cheaper than the alternatives is another issue.

Discs are a must, though. Not because of the superior stopping power, necessarily, but because it rains a lot up here (Vancouver) during the winter and I'm pretty much only going to be riding in mud. With cantis and v-brakes, I get sick of pad wear, crappy mud performance, and setup time. I've been on discs on my mountian bike for more than five years now and I'll never go back.

Can't convert the mtb to cantis, anyway. No bosses for them ;)
  • 09-17-2004
    atpjunkie
    should have figured
    with a handle like 'raindog' yup love my discs in the wet. So I'd go for the redline, great rigs, affordable just limited by rear hub choice. I'm sure there will be more 130 disc hubs (for tandems etc) in the near future
  • 09-17-2004
    Stockholm
    Being the owner of a 2004 C'dale X1000 disc, I have to admit that it's one of the best purchases I made this year (and my IPOD).

It's does everything I want it too, and for the money, it's a great pic of parts... you should know though, that even though it's spec. with Ultegra, that doesn't include much more than the rear derailler/shifters. I also switched out the Mavic Speed City wheels that were included to a Chris King disc hubs wheelset that I got at a great price.

I think with the C'dale, you get what you pay for, and in that respect, it's a great value for the money.
  • 09-18-2004
    SSped
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...id=31199&stc=1

I would go with the c-dale. it is a much more universaly compatable bike which is important. dont do what I just did and end up spending 3000.00 on a custom bike just so I could get Quality on a frame. I did end up building one sweet ride though.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...id=31199&stc=1