Canti's: Acera > XTR

Aug 2004

Canti's: Acera > XTR

I drop kicked my useless Avid Shorty 4's recently. I just picked up this XTR canti on Ebay and I stole an Acera canti from my dads 10 year old rigid mountain bike. I've got them both set up very well. I never even knew you could get such good stopping power from a cantilever. I'm impressed.

I, however, cannot tell any difference between the Acera and the XTR. The Acera was much cheaper thus I consider it superior.

So if you need some new canti's and can find some Shimano Acera canti's for el cheapo, then don't be discouraged. They are great brakes. I actually like cantilever brakes now.

I'm using kool stop canti pads.

Last edited by mattv2099; 05-14-2005 at 09:39 PM.

Apr 2000
    I, however, cannot tell any difference between the Acera and the XTR.

Put a pair of STX RC and a pair of XT cantis of the same vintage side-by-side, and I'll challenge you to point out a single functional difference. The XTs might look better, but I guarantee I can set up the STXs to stop just as well.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus
    I, however, cannot tell any difference between the Acera and the XTR.

Put a pair of STX RC and a pair of XT cantis of the same vintage side-by-side, and I'll challenge you to point out a single functional difference. The XTs might look better, but I guarantee I can set up the STXs to stop just as well.
    The geometries should be the same, so basically, yer paying for finish and slightly better bolts/etc.

Now for real 'cool points' find yerself some Mafacs! (I've got a set in the box o' fun that I haven't gotten around to installing yet.)

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

Apr 2000
    After dealing with the Graftons that I inherited on a Bianchi RC 'crosser, I'm not ready to tangle with anything else that would earn me "cool points", for a while. I'd always thought Shimano cantis established some sort of perverse gold standard for being a PITA to set up, but these really were in a class by themselves. They work well, finally, but many's the time I was all set to tear 'em off and put some Avid Squealies on....