Chinese carbon bike failure - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought a Specialized Epic mtb. It started squeaking. My LBS diagnosed as a squeak in the BB. Specialized had them pop the bearings out, apply some Loctite product, and cure for 48 hours. Within a week, it was squeaking again. Specialized replaced my Epic Expert frame with a Spec Epic S-Works frame. No arguing, no problems. Not due to a crack or failure, just squeaking. Replaced it with a SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded frame to compensate me for the time it took to get it to me. During which I still had a bike to ride, it was just a Squeak Attack experience on each ride.

I had a Yeti 575 that the chainstay snapped. They Fed-Xed overnight a new rear triangle to Moab and paid Poison Spider to swap my parts over to it so my week vacation wouldn't be ruined. The front triangle developed some hairline cracks and they warrantied that as well. No arguments.

Good companies stand behind their products.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Not just bad experiences with Chinese companies. My Salsa Dos Niner broke (in the same spot where they all do) and Salsa was no help... in fact their crash replacement price was more than the LBS said they could sell me the frame. Up till then I was a Salsa lover (MTB, CX and road) - I sold the road bike, look everyday at the broke MTB and still ride the CX till I can find a replacement frame.... and that is a USA company.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikefj View Post
    Not just bad experiences with Chinese companies. My Salsa Dos Niner broke (in the same spot where they all do) and Salsa was no help... in fact their crash replacement price was more than the LBS said they could sell me the frame. Up till then I was a Salsa lover (MTB, CX and road) - I sold the road bike, look everyday at the broke MTB and still ride the CX till I can find a replacement frame.... and that is a USA company.
    But it's not a "real" US company... it's a wholly-owned property of QBP. It's just a distributor brand these days....made in China/Taiwan like everything else.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    But it's not a "real" US company... it's a wholly-owned property of QBP. It's just a distributor brand these days....made in China/Taiwan like everything else.
    All the more reason that Salsa, Surly etc. would want to protect their reputation. QBP is an ambitious company looking to increase market share.

My advice to OP:

1) Get frame repaired. Got to be cheaper than replacement. Consumers that buy direct from overseas have no leverage when things go wrong.
    2) If you want to save money, try someone like On One/Planet X/Titus. English company now in the states (they use the Titus warehouse in Portland OR). Their bikes and made in Taiwan/China. They have two models of CX carbon - the On One Dirty Disco and the Planet X Pro carbon. They both go for $800 f&f. They give it a modest markup compared to buying direct but you have more peace of mind because they want to grow their business state-side and aren't likely to screw you.

I've had a Dirty Disco for 2 years and it's been great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Defs look like a crash crack to me. No way you just riding along and that happens.

Even landing on the top tube can do that or a hard front wheel impact. Get it fixed for cheap and keep on riding it. Take out your fork and check inside the steerer with a torch.

Safe riding.
    Over 270 000km cycled as a vegan...

My youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee

My facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Durian...97363716986830

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
    Defs look like a crash crack to me. No way you just riding along and that happens.

Even landing on the top tube can do that or a hard front wheel impact. Get it fixed for cheap and keep on riding it. Take out your fork and check inside the steerer with a torch.

Safe riding.
    Hey, congratulations for digging up a thread that nobody has posted on for SIX years! You win the prize for "thread dredge" of the day.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12