Chinese carbon bike failure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

Here is my experience purchasing from a manufacturer called Miracle (Shenzhen Miracle Carbon Technology Co.,Ltd).

I worked with a vendor through Aliexpress called Miracle, which has been mentioned in this forum before. I decided to give them a try after seeing a few positive posts. I had settled on purchasing the MC098, which features disc brakes and Di2 routing.

After building up my bike, I spent some general road riding time with it. I commuted to my work, which is about 12 miles. I had tested it for about 15 minutes in the dirt, in it's short lifetime. On roughly my tenth ride, I was in a parking lot slowing down and dismounting off the bike when I heard a crack. My initial thought was that I ran over something. When I looked down, I saw a large crack, about 1 inch long.

2013-10-20 10.59.46.jpg

I double-checked their website and felt confident they would help me since this clearly appeared to be a manufacturing defect. You should be able to get off a bike without breaking it.

2013-10-20 11.01.02.jpg

2013-10-20 10.58.42.jpg

Anyhow, the company Miracle had this to say after I e-mailed them and showed them the pictures:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your information.
    I have sent the pictures of the frame for our engineers.And they analyse it,and they told me ,the crack was caused by the strong impact from outside.And the picture leave the proof of impact.
    And if it is quality problem,there are only one crack line,instead of Hundreds of crack line.

Sorry about this news.Hope you can understand .

I have not even ridden the bike for a solid month. It's a cyclocross bike and it should be built much stronger than what I just experienced. This is the warranty they have listed on the product page:

Warranty Policy:
    We warrant our frame to be free from manufacturing defects for a period of 2 year after the original date of purchase. And we offer 2 year quality guarantee for our frames.

However, the warranty does not cover:
    Normal wear or damage or failures caused by a crash, impact,
    abuse of the product, non-compliance with manufactures specifications of usage or any other fractious reasons;
    When the serial number or production code has been deliberately altered, defaced or removed.

This has been my experience so far. I told Miracle I would post my experience on Roadbikereview, so here it is. I do not recommend them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by williemach; 11-06-2013 at 09:42 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Know what I did with my Chinese frame from Hong-Fu? Got rid of it before I rode it. Take the loss, and buy a frame from a reputable dealer. Not a criticism, just a reality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    First, sorry. That sucks.

I like how there is no indication of any impact damage on the brake line, none at all.

It sucks that this happened to you, i hate to say it but some lessons are costly.

Hope your new bike is awesome.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by williemach View Post
    Here is my experience so far working a chinese manufacturer called Miracle. I worked with a vendor through Aliexpress called Miracle, which has been mentioned in this forum before. I decided to give them a try after seeing a few positive posts. I had settled on purchasing the MC098, which features disc brakes and Di2 routing.
    Sorry to hear about your issues. I'm struggling to understand why you would go with this company, as my searches don't yield any positive results, only the typical spamming from low posters saying they successfully bought something and posts where the OP didn't get a response.
    Looking up the company themselves shows a small inventory and no pricing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    you hung all those nice parts off that pos frame, I can't say I've ever heard good things about overseas frame dealers with unknown history, chances are they won't be around within the warranty period anyways. It not that hard to start a frame company in Taiwan and did you honestly think they would stand behind their product?

They work in pure numbers and don't care about customer service with a canned email response like that. Take you money to the locals, it might buy you more than just a frame, something like piece of mind, customer service and reliability.

On a side note the area of breakage makes me worry even more about these china frames since in a conventional alloy or 'real' carbon bike the center of the tubes are the thinnest and least vulnerable to damage from regular riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Di2 on that frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Worried about concealed cables, then uses yellow brake lines?
    Maybe you got the groupo cheap, get another frame and your good to go!

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    Hmmm, I'd have to see more complete pictures (how about a picture of the drive side and underneath) before I judged. That is an area on a frame that sees virtually zero forces during normal riding. The only other carbon frame I've seen broken here had fallen over and impacted a pole. FWIW, I have 3 chinese direct carbon frames that have been ridden hard with zero issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Here's a picture of the bottom of the area that cracked. I will work on getting a drive side picture on tomorrow since the frame is now stripped down. Its virtually clean and the crack does not work it's way all the way to the bottom.

2013-10-20 11.04.38.jpg

It is a costly lesson, but i'm personally glad I learned it without it being a more catastrophic lesson. I've moved back to my local bike shop and had my parts moved to a reputable name. I will not make the same mistake twice. I just want my experience to speak for itself and let a potential buyer decide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    You had a bad experience, there are good Chinese Direct components available (as OnTheRivet mentioned), in this case it would seem you ran into a dud. As mentioned I personally wouldn't have gone that route. Hopefully this will steer folks away.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by williemach View Post
    I double-checked their website and felt confident they would help me since this clearly appeared to be a manufacturing defect. You should be able to get off a bike without breaking it.
    I would never feel confident with receiving warranty from a Chinese company.

I have sent the pictures of the frame for our engineers.And they analyse it,and they told me ,the crack was caused by the strong impact from outside.And the picture leave the proof of impact.
    And if it is quality problem,there are only one crack line,instead of Hundreds of crack line.

Sorry about this news.Hope you can understand
    Nope, don't understand. There is zero evidence of a strong impact. Given the location of the crack on top of the frame, it came from an upward force on the top tube. During normal riding, the stress would be on the bottom of the tube. During braking, the stress would be on the top of the tube. Ironically, it broke while you were braking.

IMO, the crack came from braking or a front wheel impact. Either would cause an upward crack like that. But no way of knowing if it was from something you did, or a poorly built/designed frame.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Here's some pictures of the drivetrain side and a macro shot.

drive.jpg

upclose.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Nope, don't understand. There is zero evidence of a strong impact. Given the location of the crack on top of the frame, it came from an upward force on the top tube. During normal riding, the stress would be on the bottom of the tube. During braking, the stress would be on the top of the tube. Ironically, it broke while you were braking.

IMO, the crack came from braking or a front wheel impact. Either would cause an upward crack like that. But no way of knowing if it was from something you did, or a poorly built/designed frame.
    Good analysis, concur

Daft Punk built my hotrod

Good analysis.

Must spread reputation around before giving it to tlg again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Look for a reputable carbon repair person. Here in the Denver area there is a guy that repairs carbon bike frames and does excellent work. At least this way the frame could be used for something, like a dedicated bike for the trainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Firstly, I don't condone them not honoring their warranty.

That being said, manufacturing defects happen. It is not just the Chinese manufacturers.

Specialized announces voluntary recall of 12,000 forks - VeloNews.com

As a counterpoint I have a FM058 which I purchased nearly 2 years ago. I have had no sign of any problems. Admittedly it is a commuter bike, but it has taken the occasional hit in a pothole and survived.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    Good analysis.

Must spread reputation around before giving it to tlg again.
    my thought as well. that is an upward buckle not a downward, impact crack.

don't buy chinese

don't buy carbon
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned

drove it into a curb?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    That's why, you have to be careful ...who you buy from...should have bought a FM059...I've been riding the piss out of mine...two crashes...still going good

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    You can always get the crack repaired. Geez! People spend anywhere from 3 to 10 times more on brand name frames, you know why? They are paying for a new frame up front should they ever need a warranty replacement. Why trash a Chinese made frame when you only paid maybe $600 for it? There are only a couple of factories producing carbon frames and they are in China and Taiwan. I've purchased several wheel sets and 2 frames from China and they all are great parts, they still work great. If one of these wheels or frames breaks, after the amount of use I've gotten from them, I'm not going to complain about it. I'll just go online and order up another one from China. Just to note, I bought a Scott Spark 30 MTB carbon frame (almost $2000.00) and the rear stay cracked after about 20 rides. And it couldn't be warrantied because Scott changed the stays design so I was S.O.L.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    drove it into a curb?
    That's what it looks like. You can brake a name-brand frame by driving it into a curb. A while ago there was a thread about pinarello that broke in 3 pieces while all the parts and even wheels were undamaged. The bike was real pinarello not a chinese knock off.

I don't know what happened but I am not convinced that frame was defective.

d2p
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcreosote View Post
    Firstly, I don't condone them not honoring their warranty.

That being said, manufacturing defects happen. It is not just the Chinese manufacturers.

Specialized announces voluntary recall of 12,000 forks - VeloNews.com

As a counterpoint I have a FM058 which I purchased nearly 2 years ago. I have had no sign of any problems. Admittedly it is a commuter bike, but it has taken the occasional hit in a pothole and survived.
    You realize Specialized bikes are made in Taiwan? Not exactly a great example...

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaBrain View Post
    You can always get the crack repaired. Geez! People spend anywhere from 3 to 10 times more on brand name frames, you know why? They are paying for a new frame up front should they ever need a warranty replacement. Why trash a Chinese made frame when you only paid maybe $600 for it? There are only a couple of factories producing carbon frames and they are in China and Taiwan. I've purchased several wheel sets and 2 frames from China and they all are great parts, they still work great. If one of these wheels or frames breaks, after the amount of use I've gotten from them, I'm not going to complain about it. I'll just go online and order up another one from China. Just to note, I bought a Scott Spark 30 MTB carbon frame (almost $2000.00) and the rear stay cracked after about 20 rides. And it couldn't be warrantied because Scott changed the stays design so I was S.O.L.
    spend 2-6K on a brand frame, maybe get a warranty where you pay a grand or so for a 'crash replacement'. That buys you somewhere between 5 and 10 $600 Chinese no names
    Last edited by atpjunkie; 11-08-2013 at 07:19 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RunninKurt View Post
    You realize Specialized bikes are made in Taiwan? Not exactly a great example...
    One assumes Specialized have stricter QA requirements, and have contracts to enforce them. And IIRC Taiwanese manufacturers are not regarded the same as mainland Chinese manufacturers, having a greater reputation for quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast