CX Disc Wheelset
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

CX Disc Wheelset

I'm thinking of building up a CX bike for some off-road adventures. I'll definitely be using disc brakes. For the wheel build, I'm trying to decide between 28 and 32 hole and 2 or 3 cross. I weigh about 175. Most of the off-road riding would be fire roads and trails. Nothing too crazy as I also have a full suspension MTB. What do you all think? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a set of disc wheels built up for the new bike this season, they are tubulars. I used 28 both front and rear, 2x up front and 3x out back. I'm just under 200#. I'm still waiting for the new bike, so I can't tell you how they ride... but I don't expect any issues out of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for that data point. I'm also wondering what is a good width for a carbon clincher CX rim. I've seen rims at both 20mm and 25mm. Is 25mm better? Is 20mm too narrow? Thanks again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    Thanks for that data point. I'm also wondering what is a good width for a carbon clincher CX rim. I've seen rims at both 20mm and 25mm. Is 25mm better? Is 20mm too narrow? Thanks again!
    I'd go 25mm. More gluing surface and the larger CX tires are bette supported.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    I'd go 25mm. More gluing surface and the larger CX tires are bette supported.
    I'll actually be using clinchers, not tubulars. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tubeless? Even more reason to go wide with a wide tire. What is the internal width of the rims you are considering?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Tim, I just went through the process of selecting a wide rim that would handle road tubeless as well as 'cross tubeless, something less expensive than the Hed C2 Plus. Found what may be the perfect rim: Pacenti CL25. Designed as a relatively light XC rim, it is 25mm wide outside, 20mm wide between the beads AND it will handle road tubeless tires.

I had two sets laced to Hope disc hubs set up for 11sp, work like a charm w/ Secteur 28mm tires. I was using the tires on Velocity A23 rims and was able to run 10 psi less pressure for the same ride quality due to the extra width. I can only imagine they'll handle any tubeless cross tires, too. Of course, you can run tubes, too. ~$85 each, weigh about 420 grams, WITH eyelets. My LBS wheelbuilder told me they were the easiest rims to build with he's used in a long time.

Built up w/ 32 butted spokes front/rear, they came in within about 15 grams of the Grails w/ 28/24 spoke lacing.

Highly recommend them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Tim, I just went through the process of selecting a wide rim that would handle road tubeless as well as 'cross tubeless...
    I haven't used tubeless setups for cross or road, but out of curiousity... Are tubeless setups more forgiving of rim width than regular clinchers? A rim with a 20mm interior is considered risky for any regular clincher under 28mm or so...

Tire Width - BikeTiresDirect 119

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnStonebarger View Post
    I haven't used tubeless setups for cross or road, but out of curiousity... Are tubeless setups more forgiving of rim width than regular clinchers? A rim with a 20mm interior is considered risky for any regular clincher under 28mm or so...

Tire Width - BikeTiresDirect 119
    I wouldn't run a tire under 28mm, so concerns over a 20mm internal width doesn't bother me. Besides, I'm not a believer that a 28 is as narrow as you could go on that rim. No reason a 25, or even a 23 wouldn't work, notwithstanding that outdated article. When it was written, concerns over road tires on rims that wide was speculation as no one was doing it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I just use standard road rims for cross clinchers, Mavic Open Pros. I use Challenge "open tubular" clinchers without problems. I have heard that "open tubular" tires will role off wider rims easier than standard width road rims when run at lower pressures needed for cross.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    I just use standard road rims for cross clinchers, Mavic Open Pros. I use Challenge "open tubular" clinchers without problems. I have heard that "open tubular" tires will role off wider rims easier than standard width road rims when run at lower pressures needed for cross.
    It is a balancing act and understanding what you are prioritizing. A narrower rim will create the lightbulb profile, which will put more pressure on the beads, so yes, they are maybe slightly more likely to stay on the rim. But the lightbulb profile will also give you a less stiff/supported sidewall, so cornering will be sacrificed and you have a better chance of folding the tire over. The lightbulb is also more likely to lead to pinch flats as more of the tire hangs over the rim bead.

Me - I'd rather have the benefits of better tire profile and pinch resistance than focus my set up on the less likely rolling of a clincher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I am building up a set right now. I had some old dented up flows on hope Pro II hubs that I was using as backups for my two 29er MTB's. I realized the WTB Frequency I19 Rims had the same ERD as the flows so I got them re-laced to new rims. I got the adaptors for DT Swiss 9x100/10x135mm RWS axles and I was all set! The weight should be respectable and they will be strong enough for me not to fret over.

I'll re-post when I set them up tubeless.