Cyclocross Rim Reccomendations (maybe setup tubeless)
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Cyclocross Rim Reccomendations (maybe setup tubeless)

1) Looking to replace my Mavic CPX 33 rims (which are shot) on my CX training wheel set. I weigh about 165#, and am currently running tubes and clinchers45-50 PSI. Also, I own a set of tubulars for racing, so I am not trying to start a tubeless vs tubular discussion.

Initially I was interested in the 32H Stans Alpha 340 in case I wanted to try the tubeless option. My reservations about the Stans are 1)durability and 2)stiffness, as compared to something more tried and true like Mavic Open Pros, which are also at the top of the list, but appear to be harder to setup tubeless. I don't want to run the Stans 355 because of the difference in rim width .

2)This could be a separate post, but I'll include here: To get a flavor of setting up Mavic Rims tubeless, I taped the CPX 33 w/ yellow tape, then set two-26" butyl rim-strips (as a substitute to a Stan's rim strip) and poked a valve through it all. I mounted the Maxis Raze's I had lying around, and they aired up and sealed fine. Unfortunately @ 40 PSI I can get them to burp by pushing on the sidewall, so I doubt they'll work while riding.

I was wondering what specific CX or Road tubeless setup (tape +rim strips+tires) others have had luck w/ for Mavic CPX33 and/or OPEN Pros? I expect Michelin Mudz will be a recommended tire.

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    Nov 2007
    I'm going to build a set of wheels with velocity A23s, which an employee told me work great tubeless with a stans kit. I thought about the Alpha but 120 dollars a rim is sort of crazy when their other mountain stuff is closer to 80.

You said you don't want a wide rim, but they are the same as their Aeorhead, only wider, so that could be an option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I hear good things about Stan's rims...

RoadBikeReview Member
    honestly, i would say to heck with the tubeless. running a nice set of challenge clinchers and latex tubes is a great setup for training and then as a back up on race day to your tubulars. if you didn't already have the race wheels and kinda wanted a race/training wheel, then maybe. to me, its just too much of a risk right now with the tubeless conversion stuff. not enough support from the manufatures on the tire side to make it work well (like in mountain biking).

then you can go with any of the great rims out there