Disc brake wheelset - suggestions?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Disc brake wheelset - suggestions?

Hey there,

Must preface this by saying that I'm a total noob to the road/cross world.

I have a build in progress in which the frame/fork are both disc compatible and it seems a shame not to utilize them. I'm tempted to grab a set of wheels from one of my 29er MTB's and use them, but think they may be a bit overkill, not to mention that I'll have to get a set of wheels to put back on the MTB.

If I'm looking for cross specific wheels, what should I be looking for in terms of rim width etc?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I believe ZTR makes a version of thier alpha road rim with MTB disc hubs that may be right up your alley if they are in your price range.

Great White North
    I've got a set of Mavic Speed City wheels that I'd part with, they'd be great for a cx disc bike, 19mm rim width, 6 bolt disc mounts, UST rims (tubeless ready).

Generally, you'll probably not be able to take advantage of a wide rim with the limited clearance a cross frame has anyway...

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good, eh!

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    [QUOTE=Plum
    Generally, you'll probably not be able to take advantage of a wide rim with the limited clearance a cross frame has anyway...

Plum[/QUOTE]

Great White North
    Meaning, a wide rim with a 35-40c cross tire doesn't make a lot of sense, as there will be little to no sidewall bulge, and most cross frames won't clear a wider tire (and the corresponding) wider rim.

Another way to look at it is, the wider the tire, the wider the rim to spread it out and add volume. A narrower tire (35's say) doesn't need a wide rim.. Unless we're talking about a monstercross setup, then a wider rim really won't be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Plum

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Meaning, a wide rim with a 35-40c cross tire doesn't make a lot of sense, as there will be little to no sidewall bulge, and most cross frames won't clear a wider tire (and the corresponding) wider rim.

Another way to look at it is, the wider the tire, the wider the rim to spread it out and add volume. A narrower tire (35's say) doesn't need a wide rim.. Unless we're talking about a monstercross setup, then a wider rim really won't be necessary.

Plum

Are you basing this off of assumptions or experience?

I have Stans Crest and 355's. Both with Bulldogs and Pirranhas (34c) and both tubeless. I also have Velocity Deep V's (not tubeless), and I can tell you that if you that the difference in tire width when mounted on either rim is marginal. If your frame can't handle that then it is a roadbike. The wider rim is a little more cushy with a larger air volume, but overall width isn't drastically different.

Unless you consider 355/Crests skinny, then you're arguement against wide rims (not super wide like P35/Gordo/etc) is a little off.

Great White North
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Are you basing this off of assumptions or experience?

I have Stans Crest and 355's. Both with Bulldogs and Pirranhas (34c) and both tubeless. I also have Velocity Deep V's (not tubeless), and I can tell you that if you that the difference in tire width when mounted on either rim is marginal. If your frame can't handle that then it is a roadbike. The wider rim is a little more cushy with a larger air volume, but overall width isn't drastically different.

Unless you consider 355/Crests skinny, then you're arguement against wide rims (not super wide like P35/Gordo/etc) is a little off.
    I would consider a wide rim to be anything past the mid-20's.

Point being, as you mentioned, there's not a lot of gain when you go to a larger rim with a cross tire, in terms of volume. I generally see people going to a wider rim (25 or larger, IMO) when they're looking for more volume and stability with a wider tire..

My experience is that rim width should be proportional to tire width. Big, Fat 29er tires, go wide. Cross tires, no benefit to a wider rim, IME.

And yes, I've ridden fat tires on skinny rims, and narrow tires on wide rims, always felt the narrow tire/wide rim leaves the rim exposed to damage and since the tire isn't 'rounded' out like it would be on a narrower rim, the bead doesn't seat as well, again, IME.

Plum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Stan's Alpha disc road set is around $650, I forget the weight...maybe 1700gr's or so. He isn't using American Classic hubs anymore-his own ZTR hubs use DT Swiss internals-according to them. Could be a great wheelset.

I had a disc wheelset built up by Dave Thomas-Speed Dream Wheels. I used Velocity disc specific rims/DT 240 hubs, the wheelset has been flawless for almost two years...but comes in at 1760 grams.

You want to spend real money...renyolds will build you the Attack 29er wheelset. It's not on their website, but it's a fairly deep carbon rim, and the set will weigh about 1600 grams when done. I believe MSRP is around $1300.

Dave Thomas is probably your best bet, if you want a mid to hi end wheelset. There are plenty of heavy as hell disc compatible wheelsets out there.

Question-what's your budget, what's the bike build...