Forgive my ignorance - categorization question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Forgive my ignorance - categorization question

I'm new to bike racing in general, but I do understand how the Cat thing works. My question is for CX races where it seems there is a lot of overlap between races.

A race this upcoming weekend has 3 main categories (not including masters/ss) - Cat 4, Cat 3/4, and Cat 1/2/3. What's the deal with the two race overlap for cat 4, and then the two race overlap for 3? In these scenarios how is it determined which race you ride in?

Sorry for the newbie question, just curious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Halebopp
    I'm new to bike racing in general, but I do understand how the Cat thing works. My question is for CX races where it seems there is a lot of overlap between races.

A race this upcoming weekend has 3 main categories (not including masters/ss) - Cat 4, Cat 3/4, and Cat 1/2/3. What's the deal with the two race overlap for cat 4, and then the two race overlap for 3? In these scenarios how is it determined which race you ride in?

If you think your faster Cat up.

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Halebopp

This is mostly done to allow people to do multiple races, you'll notice they typical space these overlap races an hour oe so apart to allow for recovery. This is also pretty standard on the road for Crit racing also.

The Dropped 1
    I think it is to be able to do multiple races (sometimes people have a far drive, so it helps to - for our series anyway - be able to pay an extra $5 for extra events and increase the race time), but also to test your ability. Cat 3/4 is going to be easier (or it should be) than 1/2/3, and cat 4 would likely be a lot of beginners or first year racers.

So, if you are a Cat 3 and you want the ultimate challenge, race 1/2/3. If you're a cat 3 and not sure on how you might do, race 3/4. If you're a cat 4, then do the 4 race and if you have enough time see if you want to do a 2nd race and do 3/4. Just keep in mind you might be a little more tired for 3/4 and the field will be a little faster

RoadBikeReview Member
    The last race I did the winner of the Cat4 race did 5 laps at an average of 8:20.
    The Cat 3/4 winner did 6 laps with a 7:30 average.
    The Elite 1/2/3 winner did 5 laps with a 7:10 average.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I'm still looking for Cat 6 races.

Steve.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    locally(NY Cross series) If you don't have a UCA cycling license, and need to buy a one day license-you can only race in the Cat 4, sometines called the citizens race. At some events, they are only 30 minutes in length.

If you are a license holder, as others have stated...you can do multiple races.

Personally, I try my hardest to just suck in Masters 40+, and not even consider the 3/4 race. That extra race just cuts into my drinking and cow bell ringing time. It's all about priorities afterall.