how do you plan your season?
    50ft. Queenie

how do you plan your season?

calling on some of you seasoned-experts out there....
    i know this is a little early.. but for those of you that race every weekend during the cross season, how do you set up your "peaks" ??

this is once area of periodization that i cant seem to get a grasp on. what to do when you have 3 months of racing, where they are all equally important? such as a season long series?? look at someone like mark mccormack... the guy seems like he is in a perma-peak.

perhaps i am incorrectly thinking that going back into a "build" phase means an automatic drop in racing performance??

thanks!

Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by argylesocks
    what to do when you have 3 months of racing, where they are all equally important? such as a season long series??
    Then you're not going to have a pronounced peak. If you've got some time between all of the races, you'll be able to get some small improvements, but that's about it. If you want to race well every single weekend for 3 months, fuhgeddaboutit. You need some recovery time in order to come back stronger.

Last year, my primary goal was to race well at Nats. I had a decent start to the season, but I certainly wasn't as fast as in years past. Built up slowly throughout the season, and took some time off from series that I usually focus on. I sacrificed series overalls with my eye solely on mid-December in Portland. The last big week of Bay Area racing and I didn't race a single event. I questioned my approach frequently towards the end of the season, but it all paid off in Portland. Had my best ride of the year, making it all worthwhile.

You need to sit down and seriously review your goals. One big peak for a major race? Steady racing for a series overall? Is performance in one series more important than others? Decide what is important and train/plan accordingly. You can't set the world on fire in everything. You WILL have to make sacrifices.

50ft. Queenie
    Quote Originally Posted by cycloscott
    Then you're not going to have a pronounced peak. If you've got some time between all of the races, you'll be able to get some small improvements, but that's about it. If you want to race well every single weekend for 3 months, fuhgeddaboutit. You need some recovery time in order to come back stronger.

Last year, my primary goal was to race well at Nats. I had a decent start to the season, but I certainly wasn't as fast as in years past. Built up slowly throughout the season, and took some time off from series that I usually focus on. I sacrificed series overalls with my eye solely on mid-December in Portland. The last big week of Bay Area racing and I didn't race a single event. I questioned my approach frequently towards the end of the season, but it all paid off in Portland. Had my best ride of the year, making it all worthwhile.

You need to sit down and seriously review your goals. One big peak for a major race? Steady racing for a series overall? Is performance in one series more important than others? Decide what is important and train/plan accordingly. You can't set the world on fire in everything. You WILL have to make sacrifices.
    thanks scott...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I took 3 weeks off the bike at the end of jan.- start of feb. this year and then got to work on base for road season which I started in on a bit late. My first road race was on easter day (copperopolis- ouch...). I'm racing one or two days a week now, and I'll be doing at least 3 3-5 day stage races throughout the summer (sea otter, mt. hood, tour de nez w/ nevada city). During late july- early august I'll go back to base and stop racing for 3-4 weeks and then start back in with road races (my team got an invite to tour of Tobago/ Trinidad in september, I wonder if I can fit that in?!!) and early season cx races. When I did this last year, I had some of my best road results of the season after my "break" (a win and a 2nd as a cat3 and then 2 top 10s at the p/1/2 level). I came into the first cx races going pretty well, and although I felt a little flat at some of the USGP races around late oct. I was able to bring it back up for nationals (not well reflected by my result there, although I know I was very fit- that's cross for ya!). I was also going pretty well in europe, I felt like I was going so fast and I was still getting smoked! So basically, I've found that I can go pretty much year round and expect to feel really good 2 or three times throughout. The rest of the time- some good, some not so good. I feel right now that the pro road races combined with the motor pacing I've been doing for the last few weeks are going to set me up for a killer cross season. I've really noticed some good changes in how much work I can handle and my speed is way up from last year. I have a really great coach who's helped me achieve steady (if somewhat slow) growth and improvement. My season is focused on 'cross too, and I expect my best form to show in december this year. I can't wait!