How many of you run Campy on road rigs and something else on CX rigs?
    RoadBikeReview Member

How many of you run Campy on road rigs and something else on CX rigs?

I have Campy on all my road bikes. Considering picking up a disc'ed CX bike for commuting during the nasty German winters. First of all, just so you know, I am not a CX'er but I've always thought it would be kind of fun to get into it. I don't want to get a cheapo commuter- where is the fun in that purchase???

I'm eyeing the Lynskey Cooper CX disc. I'm thinking of picking up the frameset and building it up with new Veloce or Centaur. OR I can buy the complete disc-specific CX/race or CX/commuter version with SRAM Rival for a few bones less than I could piece-meal the frameset with Campy. So the price isn't really the issue, it is more the hassle of putting together a CX bike with discs. I have never worked on discs, even with MTBs.

What do you Campy die-hards think about SRAM for CX/commuting? I am thinking I would be OK with SRAM on a commuter but if I ever got into real CX, I'd probably prefer Campy.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    I run campag on the road but have Sram Apex on my cross bike which I'm happy with. Mostly because that is what the bike came with and I did want to try Sram. Campag is too expensive for me to trash on a cross bike that I mostly use as a trail bike.
    Master of my own velocity.

tja
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I've always used Campy on my road bikes and cross bikes. But I have tried SRAM on a cross bike I demoed and felt that, if necessary, I could use it just fine. Still, I did find that my thumb would be searching for the tab to shift before I remembered, "oh yeah..." Also, I love the ability to drop through multiple gears at a time when cresting a riser or hitting a finishing straight. Neither SRAM nor Shimano offer that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have had Campy on my various road bikes for years and years. My cross bikes are all Shimano. Never has been an issue. I'm sure going back and forth with Sram would be no problem as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    I have a Campy "Dirty Disco". I see no reason not to run campy on my cx bike. I see no reason to not use it to commute. I wouldn't put super record on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I run Campy record 10 on my road bike. Sram Force on my cx rig which works great. Sweet thing is I can run my campy wheels/tubbies for racing with Campy 28 cassette and shifts fine with Force shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Dura Ace in the road and Campy 9 speed Veloce on the cyclocross bike. I also have the back brake on the left on the cyclocross bike, right for back on the roadie.

Takes 1 stop and 1 set of shifts to get my shifting/brake mind set then I am good to go.

No issue for me.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone using higher end Campy groups? For cross I really can't see any more than Centaur. I can't imagine trashing Chorus or Record groups.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    My wife runs Chorus and Record 11 on her CX rigs. Works great. Campy parts are quite durable and easy to fix if something does go wrong.

She tried Sram for one season on the CX bikes and didn't like it... so back to Campy.

tja
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
    Anyone using higher end Campy groups? For cross I really can't see any more than Centaur. I can't imagine trashing Chorus or Record groups.
    I run chorus 10. But it's from 2003, so I don't think that counts as higher end anymore. Still, I swapped it over from my road bike 2 years ago (after it being on my road bike for 7) and have been racing it since with no issues. And that includes a wreck where another persons pedal tore through about 20 spokes in my rear wheel and the derailleur hanger got all bent up. Good to see the hanger did its job because the chorus derailleur was just fine -- and still going strong.

I think the higher end stuff is bomber quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    The cyclocross series I ride in has neutral wheels but only sram/shimano compatible. You can always bring spare wheels but you never know. Something to consider

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tron View Post
    The cyclocross series I ride in has neutral wheels but only sram/shimano compatible. You can always bring spare wheels but you never know. Something to consider
    i race campy 10 on my cx bike but have on occassion, used a sram rear cassette/wheel and had zero issues. last night i borrowed a friend's rear wheel with a sram cassette and without a single adjustment, it shifted very nicely on my campy 10 bike. i've never tried a shimano cassette with campy though.

to the OP, i'd recommend either swapping one of your older groups from a road bike to the incoming cx bike, or buy an inexpensive level like athena or centaur to go on the new cx rig. both of those can be had for a fair price and if you're like most campy owners i know, you'll be happier keeping your whole fleet Campy.

Railing the Berm of Life
    All of you sound rich. Ill be using my SRAM till I win the lotto. Thanks.
    Dirt is good for the soul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo View Post
    All of you sound rich. Ill be using my SRAM till I win the lotto. Thanks.
    I'm not rich, but I'm not a starving student either. I spend all my discretionary income on my son and my bike hobby.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    i race campy 10 on my cx bike but have on occassion, used a sram rear cassette/wheel and had zero issues. last night i borrowed a friend's rear wheel with a sram cassette and without a single adjustment, it shifted very nicely on my campy 10 bike. i've never tried a shimano cassette with campy though.

to the OP, i'd recommend either swapping one of your older groups from a road bike to the incoming cx bike, or buy an inexpensive level like athena or centaur to go on the new cx rig. both of those can be had for a fair price and if you're like most campy owners i know, you'll be happier keeping your whole fleet Campy.
    I've been hunting ebay and CL for a Chorus 10 group. Actually need several groups as I might have 3 builds in the near future.

For the CX bike, I'd definitely like to keep it Campy.