Lightest clincher rims for use w/DISCS ?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

Lightest clincher rims for use w/DISCS ?

This might be an unusual question but here goes...

I need to build a really light clincher wheelset for my CX bike for use with disc brakes. They will be used for approx 80% pavement and 20% fireroad riding and lots of urban commuting. No heavy duty off-road abuse.
    The narrowest tire I would ever consider fitting to these rims is 25C but I likely won't run anything smaller than 28C.

The plan is to use DT 240s or American Classic ISO disc hubs with a 28 spoke count and probably Sapim CX-Ray or Laser butted spokes, unless something better/lighter can be found.

I would really appreciate some good rim suggestions. My goal is to keep the total wheelset cost under $1500.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Stan's? Velocity Aerohead?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Stan's won't safely accommodate the high pressures a narrow tire requires. Maybe an Open Pro or 719 from Mavic, or a Salsa Delgado Cross?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I'd look into the Velocity Aerohead.
    Its pretty light and strong but the biggest advantage is that you can get it non machined.
    http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=581
    Having it non machined will look much better than a 700c rim with a braking surface. I have their fusion and am very impressed with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel
    Stan's won't safely accommodate the high pressures a narrow tire requires.
    ???
    The OP said he wasn't likely to use anything more narrow than a 28. Also, Stans now makes a road rim.

The Stans 340 would work, so would the Velocity. Check-out the Kinlin 270, it's not the lightest, but it's light enough, would be reliable, and with 28 cx-rays would be a stiff wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by seahuston
    I'd look into the Velocity Aerohead.

Having it non machined will look much better than a 700c rim with a braking surface. I have their fusion and am very impressed with it.
    Good point! I hadn't considered that a rim with a machined braking surface will look a bit odd in conjunction with disc brakes!

The Aeroheads look good and they come in a great selection of colors but 425g is kinda' porky.

The Stan's 340s are in the ideal weight range I want but I plan to run with tubes so perhaps these tubeless wheels aren't the best option?

The Mavic Open Pro and Kinlin 270 are nice rims but both have the same problem - 435g and 430g

Any suggestions for sub-400g clinchers for use with tubes?

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ringmaster

The Stan's 340s are in the ideal weight range I want but I plan to run with tubes so perhaps these tubeless wheels aren't the best option?

Any suggestions for sub-400g clinchers for use with tubes?
    You can use tubes in Stans 340's.

Also, ZTR Crests are under 400gs and wide for good cushy volume. I never tried running a 28 on it though.

If I were you, I'd go 340's with 28 holes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    i'd go with the crest rims if you can get them in 28h.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel
    Stan's won't safely accommodate the high pressures a narrow tire requires.
    Are you sure about this? I thought the PSI limits only applied when running tubeless. On a Crest rim I usually pump my Conti Speed 700x35c with tubes up to 60-65psi for pavement, which is above the recommended PSI for a 1.5" tire if tubeless.