Lined up next to Lance Armstrong today
    Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004

Lined up next to Lance Armstrong today

A's race in Woodland Hills Ca. (suburb of LA) Lance and Tony Cruz showed up. Lance went Hard from the gun, Mark Noble (new 40-44 national champ) and Brent Prenzlow stayed with him early then it was Mark making him earn it, wearing a Santa Beard no less. I asked him(Lance) how his race went after and he said he "suffered". Oh and it was about 80° and so clear you'd swear you weren't in LA.

Incorrigible Wanderer - R.I.P.

'Cross in Woodland Hills?!?!?!?!!!

Wish I'd known--that woulda been worth seeing. Where was the racing held?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Who won?

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004

Held at Pierce college, Lance won.

Quote Originally Posted by wunlap togo
    Who won?
    It was far from a classic cross course, probably 150 ft of climbing per lap. I think Mark or Brent might have gotten him (lance) had it been a more technical course. I can't help but laugh everytime I envision Lance sitting on Marks wheel thinking " I'm not losing to a guy in a Santa beard".
    Last edited by OnTheRivet; 12-19-2004 at 11:18 PM.

jm3
    RoadBikeReview Member

I doubt either could have takem him no matter what the course

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheRivet
    It was far from a classic cross course, probably 150 ft of climbing per lap. I think Mark or Brent might have gotten him (lance) had it been a more "traditional" course. I can't help but laugh everytime I envision Lance sitting on Marks wheel thinking " I'm not losing to a guy in a Santa beard".
    First of all, Lance put distance on Mark not only on the climbs, but also on the downnhill. And that tight off-camber grass section - Lance was clearly faster than Mark through there. The only place I saw Mark as obviously faster was on the run-up, but Lance was faster than Brent through that section. I raced Master 35+, so I walked the entire course and watched them in every section. Lance is a very good bike handler - I was surprised and impressed (although I had no reason to expect less - he's considered one of the best bike handlers in the peloton). Cross is cross, the strongest rider wins more often than not (I know I didn't win today!). I will say, however, that "Santa" showed himself proud.

The surprise to me was Tony Cruz. I mean, Lance was clearly carrying a lot of holiday weight, but Tony looked very fit. His fourth was surprising, but man that guy simply does not look comfortable in the dirt or off the bike running - he barely cleared the barriers a couple of times. Brent, after realizing he couldn't catch Mark, clearly had him marked, and was just waiting to jump him for third. Good job there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=67357
    someone posted pictures here...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    So...did you really line up next to LA. Were you in the race? If so, did you try to hang on and how long did you make it.

The pics are cool and you can really see that off season weight. Makes me feel better about my holiday eating schedule.

JT

Not Banned

the lappers

was fun as it was a climbers course so guys were timing their getting lapped by Lance until the climb after the start finish. that way their friends and family could snap pix of them in front of Lance for that brief second. Brad House of Urban Cross even put a good 'suffer face' on for his pic. Best though was Mark Noble's son Chance ( Racing elite, did Jrs at Nats and I think he's 15) jumping LA's wheel on the climb. Classic, matching him up the hill with Antlers on. Someone got it on video. Tony just lacks skill as far as cx, he pedaled strong but was slow in the dirt and portage. Other great moment was on last lap when Lance 'buzzed' Sheryl and go, after the climb he went off the road right at them and forced them to dive out of the way. He was suffering but still had a sense of humor.
    oh and he was very cordial.

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004

Actually.....

He lined up next to me. He was on the opposite side of the grid initially then moved over to my side to be by Tony. It was kinda weird having everybody swarming around in front taking pictures, he's probably used to it so he seemed to be a good sport.
    I think I finished 8th

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Sounds amazing...then what happened? Did you try to hang with him at the gun?

Not bad...8th to LA.

JT

Not Banned

who do you ride for?

I'm sure I saw you. what color was your kit and who were closest to racing wise? I was feeding the Celopacific guys.

Born from JortsŪ

LA in LA

nice report!

lots of Lance sightings seeming to pop up now that he's in town. The guys at Bicycle John's in Burbank saw him cruise by the shop last week. Too bad he didn't stop in...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Online article

There's an article up on the most recent edition of velonews.com. Looks like it was Lance vs. multiple Santas! I wish conditions were that nice here right now!

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004

Hey that's you?

Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    I'm sure I saw you. what color was your kit and who were closest to racing wise? I was feeding the Celopacific guys.
    I was the guy in the blue yellow and white who you were giving a bottle to. Thanks again. Funny story, Lance came over and staged next to John and I, when they were introducing Mark as the new National Champion Lance turns to us and asks" who is that?" I told him he raced on the track for the UK in the "84" Olympics.
    Last edited by OnTheRivet; 12-20-2004 at 03:24 PM.

Not Banned

I thought so

I'm saying, it's gotta be the guy with the San Clemente Cycles water bottle. yea Lance beat Mark but the course wasn't technical and Mark was wearing a Santa suit. Nice to put a face on a name for once.,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002

Cool Hey, Lance

If you read this, you ought to join us in Columbia, TN on January 9th for a little late season cross. If I remember right, Sheryl's sis lives in Nashville, so you could get brownie points for dropping in on her family and whoop up on our local As all in the same trip.
    The older I get, the older I get.

Strained coccyx etc etc
    got a website clippard? i might drive up. that way, if lance doesn't show, at least you'll have one celeb. i'll even sign autographs. be nice when you lap me.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002

you can find the Columbians online at

http://www.columbiacyclingclub.com/newyears-generic.stm

I'm not a member of their club; just the guy bringing up the back of the B group week in and week out. They put on a nice event, though I got to say yours had more energy. The January race is usually their biggest draw. Hope to see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by J's Haiku Shop
    got a website clippard? i might drive up. that way, if lance doesn't show, at least you'll have one celeb. i'll even sign autographs. be nice when you lap me.
    The older I get, the older I get.

Not Banned

Santas were Team Amgen

Mark Noble (Santa #1) is US Nat 40-44 champ. Santa 2 was Gary Hansen the team member/race promoter, Santa 3 was Perry Paolini (top Jr rider) on a SS and Reindeer was Chance Noble (15-16 a but racing elite)

Not Banned

weather

actually was unbearably hot. plus Santa Ana winds kicking up every pollen, dust, pollution
    my Asthma kicked in