low profile cross tires??
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

low profile cross tires??

I would like to ride my straight bar Salsa Campeon on some serious dirt and gravel roads as it is a very light and stable performer, but I only have room for small tires. Width wise I have room for 30 mm f&r.. but height wise a conventional 27 is about the tallest that might fit.

?? Anyone have any experience with a low profile tire that might be acceptable?

I also ride a c-dale optimo but all the tires I use for it are much bigger.

Prefer clinchers but might consider tubular clinchers (which I never have tried). No tubbies as I don't want to make this a permanent set-up for now.
    Thanks,
    Gary

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Try and find a set of the old green Vittoria's. I think they were called "master cross"

I had a set that I used on my winter commuter several years ago, as 27's they would fit your bill perfectly and are great on dirt roads. Hope that helps.

Edit: They were available in both clincher and tubular...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

SpeedMax

Ritchey speed max 30's may fit, I use them on a Lemond Zurich road bike which has a pretty narrow fork.

Fast No More.

Tufo Diamonds

Come in 28 and 30 widths, a few different casing/tread compound combos, and tubular or tubular clincher style:

http://www.tufo.com/index.php?lg=en&mn=4&id=10

Michelin Jets might also work, but the 30s come across as wider than other companies' 30s, so depeding on your standard of measurement, they may be too big.
    Last edited by Slow Eddie; 10-08-2007 at 05:49 AM.
    Work to Eat | Eat to Live | Live to Ride | Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

vittoria,speedmax,diamonds

Thanks for the suggestions!!
    .I'll look for these suggested skins locally and have a measure. I tried michelin speediums in 25 which fit but have poor dirt traction. they actually measured 26+mm in width. Also tried michelin dynamics in size 28mm (actually wider), that I inherited. Width was good and could have been even wider but the rear tire rubbed the derailleur band and the front was tight depending on pressure. The michelin dynamics are a tall tire! My restriction isn't width so much as height. I do have my cross bike to ride so not a big deal but sure would like to try the Salsa that carries 4# less weight and rides so smooth!
    Thanks again and all the best!
    Gary

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Panaracer Pasela TG

Try Panaracer Pasela Tourguard in 28c, they run a little narrow for 28s. I fit some in my road race bike. Great tires in a filetread, I train on gravel roads with them frequently.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    as long as you are measuring, you might try measuring the Vittoria Cross tires: the 32 widths are narrower than Michelin 30s ... their dry condition/file tread tire is kinda neat

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Avocet Cross II comes in 700x28C.

What'd I do?
    The Paselas and T-Servs are great, but they're tall. If you use one of those, you'd be limited to a 25 (Or, what they call a 25). The Rivendell Roly-Poly shares many characteristics of the Pasela (Including factory), but is lower and wider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

Paselas

I have tried the pasela 28mm tourgard..great tire for most conditions and have used them on my classic lotus. You are right, they are a tall tire and are too tall for my salsa. They are actually narrower than 28 ..more like 26.5 or so which doesn't provide much flotation like a real 30 width would.
    Thanks!
    Gary