Mental blockage...
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

Mental blockage...

Hiya Cross forum
    Been a while since I posted anything on here. Nice to see and hear that everyone is having a fun season. The weather is cooler here in southern Ontario, the leaves are finally beginning to turn, and my mind turns to cyclcross, racing, pain.
    And that's about as far as I get. Thinking about racing. Because I just can't justify the hours of driving to race my bike. Ninety percent of the cross races in southern ontario are two and a half hours from me. It's become a massive mental stumbling block: why drive to ride\race?
    Does anyone else have this problem? Am I being plain lazy?

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmpunker
    Does anyone else have this problem? Am I being plain lazy?
    Yes, the car ride is half the fun! Carpool with someone to races, it makes it much more bearable.
    Harrow: "You have to finish it, lad. You have to finish it. For a man to lay beaten... and yet breathing? It makes him a coward."

Inara: "It's humiliation."

Mal: "Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood... Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    I dunno. It has become a personal paradox I can't get over. Don't drive to ride.
    And I live in the country and no one around here races cross. Attempting a car pool would be harder than driving.
    Maybe I could organize some kind of very local race series here on the farm. I love the sport but I really hate the transportation hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by vonteity
    Yes, the car ride is half the fun! Carpool with someone to races, it makes it much more bearable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    We are heading up to Hamilton for the race on sunday but will be leaving a day earlier with the dogs and the two kids to go camp out and tool around town I love cross racing in Southern Ontario, we did Ziggys a couple weeks back and were able to race right in the middle of Toronto and check out the city afterward. It's harder for me to sell the family on some race in a haypatch somewhere in Guelph with no flush toilets. I see the drive as part of our time to spend together and catch up on life.

We drive cars around in North America, it's our way of life and bike racing is a very car intensive sport. The price of gas (yours is worse even) has made me rethink the costs of travel, though. Mostly I'm more bummed when I have a bad race or mechanical as I think of the 50 bucks down the toilet...

Get out and race in Hamilton, you'll be a better man for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005

Don't drive to ride, drive to race

Hey.

One of the perks of not living in the big smoke of TO is that you don't have to drive to ride on a daily basis. Racing on weekends is arguably one worthwile exception to the rule. Besides, if nothing else the drive will make you appreciate how good you've got it having good training roads at your doorstep.

Looking forward to Hamilton next weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    Farmpunker

My rule of to determine how far to drive to a race is this - warm-up time and race time must be equal to the amount of time it will take to drive to an event. That means for 'cross I normally won't drive further than 1.5-2.0 hrs.

Buddy B

RoadBikeReview Member

come on dude!

do you have to be convinced to race cross?????

for me 'riding' a cross bike doesn't even come close to racing cross.
    just do it, how many 'cross races are there in a year?

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by wpbusc
    Farmpunker

My rule of to determine how far to drive to a race is this - warm-up time and race time must be equal to the amount of time it will take to drive to an event. That means for 'cross I normally won't drive further than 1.5-2.0 hrs.

Buddy B
    If I had that rule, I would only be racing maybe 3 times a season, tops.

Most races are at LEAST 2 hours from my house. I'll drive up to 8 hours to get to one. Further than that is "No way, man" territory.
    Harrow: "You have to finish it, lad. You have to finish it. For a man to lay beaten... and yet breathing? It makes him a coward."

Inara: "It's humiliation."

Mal: "Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood... Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    I'm lucky that most of the local series races are 20-90 minutes away. However, I did drive to two of the "middle america" UCI races this year which were both about 8 hours away. I tried to look at those as road trips which just happened to culminate in a race.

I had all the road trip prerequisites - good road music, good road food (some bad road food too) and good traveling companions. That makes it a lot more enjoyable. I also knew that other teammates and friends would be at those races which makes it fun to be there and catch up and cheer them on and motivates you to go when common sense would say not to drive 8 hours for a 45 minute race.

Renee

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    During the MTB season the majority of the races (and good DH riding) are 3+ hours away so I either hotel it or camp. And every one of those weekends feels like a mini vacation. Then when I'm about burned out from all the vacations it's cross season and most of the races are within an hour or so. Then after cross it's a few monthes of just riding local.