Mixed terrain (pavement too) tire recommendation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

Mixed terrain (pavement too) tire recommendation

So I just got my Jake yesterday and it came with Continental Gatorskins on it. While they will be great road tires I am looking for something else. What do you guys recommend for a clincher that will have good road manners but will still hold up to some single track and gravel grinding? I am looking something that will last a while as this is my commuter bike but I don't want to spend a ton on the tires, so no more than $40ish each.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Kenda Happy Medium
    $60/pair on Ebay

File tread center, but more aggressive shoulders than most file tread tire choices.
    formerly "backinthesaddle"

Strava is Latin for 'bench-racing"

banned
    Jul 2011
    I just ordered Panacer Pacela Tg's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Pacela is a good price but doesn't seem like it would hold up for much single track or fireroad. Anyone have time on the Vittoria Cross XN, XM, or XG?

acg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    I like the Continental Cyclocross tires for 80% commute / 20% trial riding on my cyclocross bike. They come in 700x42. I wanted something wider than the standard 32s or 35s as it gets quite muddy and wet here in Portland. The greater floatation / tire patch surface characteristics of the tire worked well for my style of riding.

Continental Cyclocross Tire at BikeTiresDirect
    Merlin Extralight Campy
    Airborne Lancaster XTR
    Planet X Uncle John Campy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kenda Happy Medium, just did 45 miles on road and dirt on them, could not be happier...
    Tomorrows battle is won during today's practice. - Samurai maxim

In the course of achieving anything, nothing is more important than persistence.

Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Ritchey Speedmax Pro. I've seen them as low as $25 online. You can get the steel bead version even cheaper. The Ritchey rolls fast on pavement and is decent on dirt. If you ride roots or rocks I'd go with the Michelin Mud. You can find those for 29 dollars online.

I haven't tried the Vittoria models but they get good reviews. I think all of them are better than any of Conti's cross tires.

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

WTB Crosswolf

adrenaline bikes has um for $38 ea. Also the mud IIs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    35mm small block 8s, high pressure on the road, lower it down a bit for the gravel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Ok watching those Happy Mediums, a pair of Clement PDX, and a pair of Vittoria XG Pro. See where that gets me. Keep the recommendations coming as I am sure I will end up picking up more than one set. I eventually plan to build a new pair of wheels with BikeHibStore hubs and either Velocity A23s or Fusions. I like a wider profile on my wheels but this is my first road bike so will have to get used to the smaller tires/wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I have about 600 miles on the Vittorias this year. They're very fast and handle well on the frozen gravel and pavement in MN. Very impressive tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Ritchey Speedmax Pro. I've seen them as low as $25 online. You can get the steel bead version even cheaper. The Ritchey rolls fast on pavement and is decent on dirt. If you ride roots or rocks I'd go with the Michelin Mud. You can find those for 29 dollars online.
    Another vote for the Speedmax. When I travel and I am not sure where I am going to ride. I always put the Speedmax tires on my bike so I can ride on most any surface.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have been using the Vittoria Cross XN's for the past year...

One of my staple rides is about 10 miles of pavement followed by 7 miles of dirt climb to top of Mt. Tam.

Great for the road, great uphill, marginal on loose rock/dirt downhill - but what isn't on a cross bike.

I like 'em. I have a pair of Kenda Small Block 8's to try next.
    All is not lost, just forgot that we never found it...

Not Banned
    I have the older XNs (no side knobs) and they work well for mixed riding
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Ok well I put a bid on the Cross XG Pro's.. I have always had good luck with GEAX products so hoping the same happens with Vittoria. I have heard quite a few people that like them so I have high hopes. If nothing else the Gatorskins can stay on for a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The XG is not really even close to a XN - no smooth file tread down the center for pavement speed, but I imagine you'll do better in the loose stuff...
    All is not lost, just forgot that we never found it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, if you're not overly concerned with weight, I'm having quite a bit of success with my Bontrager LT3s.
    I've been riding them to the trails, then riding with mountain bikes once there. I'm continually impressed by how well they do once in the dirt, and they don't feel too slow on the road. Your local Trek dealer should have them for under $30.

Los
    "My pit bike is a six-pack."
    -Hodala CX

RoadBikeReview Member
    I rode Speedmax Pros for years (5?) on pavement and dirt. They're great off the road, but are squirmy in the corners and wear very quickly. I wouldn't get these if you're spending any significant time on the road.

I bought a cheap set of WTB All-Terrainisaurus tyres on a whim, and they're a definite improvement on the road. They roll much faster then the Speedmax on the road, and haven't shown much wear at all. They do give up some traction in the dirt, but not much. On the down side, they're really, really heavy. However, I've raced on them several times, and can't complain. I still have several Speedmax Pros, but haven't used them since finding the WTBs. It doesn't rain much here, so I don't know how the WTBs do in the mud.

I'm currently using 35mm WTBs for CX races, and 38/35mm (F/R) WTBs for normal riding.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 251 View Post
    I rode Speedmax Pros for years (5?) on pavement and dirt. They're great off the road, but are squirmy in the corners and wear very quickly. I wouldn't get these if you're spending any significant time on the road.

I bought a cheap set of WTB All-Terrainisaurus tyres on a whim, and they're a definite improvement on the road. They roll much faster then the Speedmax on the road, and haven't shown much wear at all. They do give up some traction in the dirt, but not much. On the down side, they're really, really heavy. However, I've raced on them several times, and can't complain. I still have several Speedmax Pros, but haven't used them since finding the WTBs. It doesn't rain much here, so I don't know how the WTBs do in the mud.

I'm currently using 35mm WTBs for CX races, and 38/35mm (F/R) WTBs for normal riding.
    Good luck trying to kill that All-Terrainasaurus. I probably had somewhere north of 10k miles and several years on one.
    Finally, the bead wrap started to come apart from having changed tubes so many times over the years!

Los
    -Hodala CX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Yeah I am not overly concerned about weight but then again dont want to be pushing a 600+ gram tire if I can avoid it. I was riding my mtb with 2.25" Purgatory Control 2Bliss and GEAX Saguaro (absolute favorite tire for anything but wet!) so as long as the rolling resistance is less than that I will be happy. Looks like I am still winning on the Vittoria XG Pros so we will see. I have been looking at the All Terrainasaurus and Pathways as alternatives..
    Yeah, I have a pair of SM8s on order, should be nice to save 200g off of [B]each[B/] tire.
    The All-Terrainasaurus has got to be at least 650g, if not more, but wears like iron.

Los
    -Hodala CX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah I am not overly concerned about weight but then again dont want to be pushing a 600+ gram tire if I can avoid it. I was riding my mtb with 2.25" Purgatory Control 2Bliss and GEAX Saguaro (absolute favorite tire for anything but wet!) so as long as the rolling resistance is less than that I will be happy. Looks like I am still winning on the Vittoria XG Pros so we will see. I have been looking at the All Terrainasaurus and Pathways as alternatives..

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just put a couple of my tyres on the scale:

700x32 Speedmax Pro, folding: 360g
    700x35 All-Terrainisarus, wire: 510g
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really want to get my hands on a pair of these..... whenever they show it. If they show up.

USH Adventure Tire | Clement

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Ok thanks guys...
    So looks like the leaders are:
    Kenda Happy Medium
    Ritchey SpeedMax
    WTB All Terrainasaurus
    And a couple votes for Kenda SM8

I will keep my eyes out for these as I am not in a huge hurry for new tires but if it does decide to snow and stick for more than a few hours I am going to need something that will get me back and forth from work (Gatorskins will not do that).

Keep the suggestions coming as I am still looking. Cheapest thing I have seen is a couple (questionable) sites have the SpeedMax for as low as $18/ea but BikeTiresDirect has quite a few tires for under $40/ea.

Oh and something else I forgot to mention... these will be going on my stock 19mm wide rims so they will have to be able to play nice with a bit "smallish" width rims.

Not Banned

the Kenda happy mediums

have a pretty big side knob
    it will be noticeable cornering on pavement
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast