Mtb frame with road components

Sep 2004

Mtb frame with road components

I have an Mtb frame that I was wondering if I could use my extra road components to create a cross bike. The frame is designed for 26" wheels and suspension fork. I have a full Shimano triple Ultegra group from a damaged frame, as well as a set of Bontrager Race lite road wheels, though I would probably have to get different wheels because of the rear spacing difference, frame is 135 hub is 130. Would the drive train be usable? And what about a fork?

Thanks,
    Craig

Squalor
    Nov 2002
    Check out this article:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2002/features/frankenbike.shtml

I think it will answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck and post pics

Lance P

On your left!

Woo Hoo! I get to post it again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guyiniowa
    I have an Mtb frame that I was wondering if I could use my extra road components to create a cross bike. The frame is designed for 26" wheels and suspension fork. I have a full Shimano triple Ultegra group from a damaged frame, as well as a set of Bontrager Race lite road wheels, though I would probably have to get different wheels because of the rear spacing difference, frame is 135 hub is 130. Would the drive train be usable? And what about a fork?

Thanks,
    Craig

I did it and love it. This bike rocks on all cross races so far, especially those nasty technical ones.

But first, your questions:

I have a full Shimano triple Ultegra group from a damaged frame, as well as a set of Bontrager Race lite road wheels, though I would probably have to get different wheels because of the rear spacing difference, frame is 135 hub is 130.

The spacing is not too much of a problem, but the 700c is unless you want to really change the handling. 700's will put the bb way too high. Stay with mtb wheels. You could buy the spokes and rims so you can use the hubs, but by that time you could buy some entry level race wheels made right. You could use the cassette on the new mtb wheels if you have the usual 12-23 or 25 combo.

Would the drive train be usable?
    STI Shifters, rear deraileur chain, cassette, Yes
    BB, maybe, depending on clearance, more details below.
    Crank, triple, no (don't show up at a xrace with triple, it will be bad enough to show up on a mtb rig)

But the bigger problem is chain ring clearance. On my mtb, the chain stays bend out pretty wide for the fat tires. I could not use the 53 without going real wide on the bb. I chose to keep the standard bb and go with a 48 big ring. I get a few gear inches back by using an 11 tooth small cassette cog.

Front deraileur, most likely no due to the diameter of the seat tube and position of the pull, top or bottom.

Brake calipers, no.

Stem, bars, Yes. Your current stem may be a bit long on a mountain rig.

Seat post, maybe

And what about a fork?
    As mentioned, I do not suggest using the 700c stuff, so either buy a rigid fork, or use a suspension model, preferably with a lockout. If you go rigid, you need suspension corrected.

Anyway, I hope this helps and thanks for letting me post my favorite bike on this site again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feb 2004

Very nice!

BTW, for less-technical cyclocross courses, I came across the elusive 26" cyclocross tire that I just couldn't locate back when I had a MTB Frankenbike -- the Schwalbe CX Pro comes in a 26"x1.35" that would brobably be a lot faster than a mountain bike tire in the grassy crits around these parts. A friend bought a matching set for his wife's CX bike that had the Terry-style 26" wheel on the front & 700c on the back, and she loves 'em.

They're online at:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/racing....ges/cx_pro.gif

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Reach issues w/drop bar on MTB frame

When you guys put the drop bars on your MTB frames, did you spec a shorter stem at all.

If you used the same stem length on your mtb, don't you have a pretty long reach to ride on the hoods?

I can see that climbing on the bar tops places you in essentially the same position as your mtb handlebars given the same stem length.

I'm going through this issue right now, except backwards: changing my cross bike over to flat bars.

Using the same stem length w/flat bars results in a cramped position, so I need to go to an ultra long stem to get the position set up more like my mtb.

I'd appreciate your comments.

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    yep..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_diggler_1
    yep..
    See if you can't find yerself some BadBoy wheels for that thing. You CAN run road rims in that frame...

That was one of the things I was planning on doing to my F3000 right up until I sold it!

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

Not Banned

quite a squeeze for portage.

do you use the seat when shouldering? all these drop bar MTB's remind me of WTB back in '81

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_diggler_1
    yep..
    I think I'd still want brake hoods on that thing. I'm a riding on the hoods/bar ends kind of guy.
    Pro rep, yo!