Need BB recommendations....mine is dying, but not quietly.

Mar 2004

Need BB recommendations....mine is dying, but not quietly.

Bought a used 2002 KHS CX100 three months ago for commuting. It's got a Truvative crank and a Truvative BB (per website). BB started clicking a month ago...then it started chirping... now it's starting to sound like nails on a chalkboard during certain parts of the rotation.

First off, what should I replace it with? I checked the reviews of ISIS BB, and almost all of them suck at my price range ($50 or less). I've never had a problem with 105/lx level Shimano BBs (both Octalink and square), so I was surprised at the types of failures for ISIS. What's a safe bet? Weight is not an issue. I'm 165 (lb, not kg) and do about 90 miles a week on KHS. At this point, it's going to be 95% commuting, but I intend to hit a few fire roads and stream crossings (I suck at singletrack).

The other question I had is what happens when the BB finally fails? I mean, will is just be super noisy and a bit more difficult to spin comfortably? At this point, it doesn't feel significant slower, it's just annoying. If that's the only risk, then I'll just ride it until it dies. On the other hand, if the damn thing is gonna seize and leave me stranded, I better replace it ASAP. Thanks all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since it's a 2002, I'd highly doubt the BB is dead. Try taking it out of the frame, cleaning it and re-lubing it. Consider the old Teflon tape trick as well ($.45/roll at your local hardware store).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMSG
    Bought a used 2002 KHS CX100 three months ago for commuting. It's got a Truvative crank and a Truvative BB (per website). BB started clicking a month ago...then it started chirping... now it's starting to sound like nails on a chalkboard during certain parts of the rotation.

First off, what should I replace it with? I checked the reviews of ISIS BB, and almost all of them suck at my price range ($50 or less). I've never had a problem with 105/lx level Shimano BBs (both Octalink and square), so I was surprised at the types of failures for ISIS. What's a safe bet? Weight is not an issue. I'm 165 (lb, not kg) and do about 90 miles a week on KHS. At this point, it's going to be 95% commuting, but I intend to hit a few fire roads and stream crossings (I suck at singletrack).

The other question I had is what happens when the BB finally fails? I mean, will is just be super noisy and a bit more difficult to spin comfortably? At this point, it doesn't feel significant slower, it's just annoying. If that's the only risk, then I'll just ride it until it dies. On the other hand, if the damn thing is gonna seize and leave me stranded, I better replace it ASAP. Thanks all.
    the ISIS spindle is larger than the Octalink spindle, and the bearings are smaller. consequently, the least bit of contamination goes a much longer way than it would on another BB. on MTBs, ISIS BBs have had a poor record. your best bet would probably be to replace crank and BB.

Sep 2004
    FSA Platinum Pro

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

it may seize

I had an Ultegra Octalink seize and back the drive side cup out.No wonder I was struggling up that hill.....

Dan C.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by euro-trash
    Since it's a 2002, I'd highly doubt the BB is dead. Try taking it out of the frame, cleaning it and re-lubing it. Consider the old Teflon tape trick as well ($.45/roll at your local hardware store).
    I dunno about that. From the reviews I read for almost all of the ISIS BBs in the lower price (and many at the $100-range), many posters said that theirs died after only a few months of light riding. Again, I'm used to Shimano stuff that lasts forever, so this was why I was so surprised about the ISIS issues.

I thought most lower end BB were sealed units that weren't servicable. Hell, I'd be happy if the BB were old school and I could just clean out the grease and re-pack it.

Mar 2004

O.K., that does it...I'm taking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cas
    I had an Ultegra Octalink seize and back the drive side cup out.No wonder I was struggling up that hill.....

Dan C.
    Based on what you said, I guess I better take care of the problem now. I hope Euro-trash (the poster above) is right about the BB being serviceable.

Mar 2004

Shimano BB

Shimano Bottom brackets are very easy to service. I've taken both the Dura-Ace and Ultegra apart and re-greased and put back together. As long as your bearings aren't toast, you should be able to fix it. I've had a gritty feeling bottom bracket and I just serviced it with some new grease and it felt fine afterwards.

Oct 2003

American Classic

I have an American Classic on the way. You can replace the sealed beringns when they are toasted, and it's lighter than most ti bb's. Down side is it's about 90 clams.

e

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah i got the Am Classic on my weight weenie road bike, have used Ultegra Octalink and also have a FSA Plat Pro sitting in my toolbox that i replaced with the AM Classic just because it was like 20 grams lighter. They all work as intended, never any issues. My new CX is going to have an XT BB, which i just ordered.

Before you buy a new one, take out the one you have and reinstall it. I've had issues with BB's coming loose and then making a horrible clicking noise that i couldnt figure out. If those cups loosen at all, they'll make a bad noise. Its cheap to try and just might solve the problem.

jeremyb

Quote Originally Posted by NoMSG