New Bike Options
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

New Bike Options

OK here is my question if you had a choice which of these options would you choose. I'm selling one cross bike (which doesn't fit) to purchase another and with the money I could do one of the following.

1. Get 1 IF frame (built up with parts off my old road bike).

2. Get 2 Felt cross frames and build them up. Giving me two identical bikes. One to commute on one to race on.

I've already got one Sycip cross bike and the IF would be made to be like the Sycip. But the shop I'm going to buy it through is concerned that the 2 will never handle exactly the same and thus will sort of negate the reason for having 2 bikes.

Any one have any opinions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think the IF frames are sweet!!!! But, having 2 identical bikes would be rad. The Felts are nice and I think would work very well for you. If I was going to buy a new bike I would consider the Felt. You could also use it as a pit bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Last edited by Greg-O; 03-17-2013 at 04:17 PM.

SF
    Aug 2005

Proud owner of 2 new Felts

I was in a similar situation as you. I REALLY wanted a custom steel cx bike, particularly an IF. But I'm really focused on racing and after much deliberation I decided that I was better off with 2 bikes. So, I got two F1X's for less than the price of one IF. They are sweet bikes and I am fine with Al, so no complaints there. The Felts are nimble and light, and spec'd very well for the price. My only concerns (and I'm not sure if they are even valid) is that they have an integrated headset, and, as i recently found out when trying to install spooky's, the rear cable stop is mounted to the SIDE of the seat tube (there's no brake bridge). This presents a problem if you want to use any center-pull canti's (ie. empellas, spooky's, etc) that dont use a link wire (ie. Avids, Tektro's, etc). I know, I know...you say, "why not just use a seatpost cable hanger,"...and thats what I thought too, but if you look at the frame you'll see that the seat tube comes up high, so that presents a problem because the angle of the cables is way off.

anyway, i'm still trying to find a workaround...but it's minor and for now the tektros work fine. all in all i'd say the felts are sweet rigs, and i must say that it is very nice having two absolutely IDENTICAL bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wait, what am I missing...

You have a Sycip, and are either buying 1 or 2 more bikes. You're leery of the IF because it wouldn't ride exactly like the Sycip. If you buy 2 Felts, one of them would be used as a pit bike to the Sycip. In which case, it wouldn't ride exactly like the Sycip. (and the second would be for commuting, so who cares if it rides differently anyway)

What are your goals?
    1. Racing on identically riding bikes: Sell the Sycip as well and buy 3 Felts. 2 for racing, one for commuting
    2. Racing on super-nice bikes: Buy the IF, and set it up slightly differently than the Sycip. Use the set-up that's best for the course and the other one for the pit bike. (I still start some races on my Bontrager with the Sycip in the pit)
    3. Having a commute bike: Buy the IF, and track down an old Miyata Alumicross for commuting. Best $150 I've spent. Full fenders, racks, kick-stand and permanently mounted lights.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    WOW. I wish I had your problems!

If I were you, I would go the route of 2 identical Felts ASSUMING the geometry and sizing works for you. You could probably same the same with 2 Redlines, 2 Fuji's, 2 whatevers.

I am wanting a second bike, but not that I really need a pit bike, but more of having a back-up for training on/riding cross practice, etc. While it would be comforting to have a bike in the pits in case of a flat tire or a mechanical, but I want one for other reasons. After the last two weekends (including one very muddy one with races both days), it has been a struggle just to keep the one bike together for training and racing. $$$ dictate that I do not get a second cross bike, but that does not prevent me from wanting one.

If you were not tied into a particular brand for sponsorship reasons, I would look at the options out there and get 2 frames with identical set-ups. I would also make sure I used affordable components that were cheap and easy to replace (IE, 105 versus Dura Ace), because mud seems to tear everthing up very quickly.

Not Banned

exactly

since you have sweet botique steel, stay the course. get the IF, maybe put a bigger cluster for courses with more climbs so you have 2 interchangable A/B bikes. Felts are nice but they are Al and will feel WAY more different from the Sycip. I commute on my cx bike, just swap out the wheels and toss on a sadlle bag and a bottle cage if ya need it. You could be bicoastal steel YUMMY
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering