Panaracer Cross Blaster Tires
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Panaracer Cross Blaster Tires

Has anyone used these tires? They only come in a 700 x 31mm size. Any impressions would be appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
    Has anyone used these tires? They only come in a 700 x 31mm size. Any impressions would be appreciated.
    A teammate and I have ran 'em the past year. He had 5 flats in critical situations, due to pinching. So, he went ahead and changed over to Tufo sewups. I didn't have too much trouble with the tires but I ran 'em at 55-60 psi to avoid the pinch flats. Makes for a bumpy ride.
    They wear fast, too, so these aren't tires to be training on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love 'em. they're light for clinchers, and I found them to grip very well. I ran them about 45 psi and didn't have a problem (I'm 150). Used them for race days, usually about 10 a season, then they went to the training wheels.

Off the back

Been OK for me

2 seasons now, no complaints. I ride at 60psi and am 230lbs and have honestly never flatted these. I don't have anything to compare with and am considering the Vredensteins since I love the tri-comps on pavement. The panaracers are pretty inexpensive. I think biketiresdirect has them.

Oct 2002
    they grip well, are light (as said previously) but are rather narrow... like 28 mm or so. wish i could get hold of those old wide michelin tires..

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    It seems I've tried a lot of tires in the recent past. Here are my impressions of the Crossblaster: light at 320 gm (my scale). great on grass, but not on hardpack or gravel (what is good on gravel?). seems to be more of a 32 than a 31, but whatever.

IMO a vred Campo is a better all arounder though 50 gm heaver/tire! The michelin jet, labelled as 30 is actually 35 and a very nice ride, but also heavier than the cross blaster. Both these choices grip better on varied terrain than the blaster. I also like the ritchey excavader for more agressive riding (muddy condidtions)

Mark Abel, masters 45+ likes the blaster a lot and he's a really good 'crosser.

hope that helps.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff
    (what is good on gravel?)
    pedaling. ya know?

ultralord
    They are Brent Steelman's favorite. He recommends them to all his cross racers. He says they do well on both road and trail. Also, it's very consistent and predictable on turns and leaning.

As far as my own opinion, I got none.

fc

RoadBikeReview Member
    I recently picked up a pair of cross blasters to give them a try. The handling is great, very predictable like others have said. I have ridden them on pavement, hard pack dirt, sand, grass and mud. I would say they hold their own in all situations. They bite into the hard pack relatively well, they shed mud quickly and they roll really fast on pavement. The only problem I have is that they FLAT like crazy. There is very little puncture protection, which is really a shame because they are so good otherwise. The added weight of a puncture resistant layer would be well worth it. I would say these tries are top notch for parks, paths (dirt and paved) and smooth(ish) fire roads. I would go with something a little more sturdy for trails and sharp gravel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I used them for a season and I liked them. Like JMeerse said they are light and hooked up well. I weigh about 160lbs and ran them at 45 psi and never pinched. It has been a few years but if I remember correct the price on them are great! I would use them again. I have heard good things about the Schwalbe's RR as well.

ultralord
    Wow, talk about an old thread.

I used a pair until they got all worn out. I think it's really more of a road tire with occasional dirt mixed in. It's fast and handling is good on the road.

On the trail, they flat a lot. Handling is consistent but there's just not a lot of grip, braking and climbing traction. Plus having to run them at high pressure might be part of the problem.

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images