Race Reports 11/11, 11/12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    More Cowbell!

Thumbs up Race Reports 11/11, 11/12

Post 'em if you got 'em.
    Pro rep, yo!

aka Zoo
    Apr 2003
    Did the UNH Cross race today, don't have much to say other than mud, mud, and more mud. Was covered from head to toe. Was very slow, sections were actually faster to run than ride. Don't have any idea how I did because results weren't posted by the time I left, I think I got about 25 or so. Will have more details later.
    2005 Orbea Lobular 100 - 2005 Hot Tubes Carbon - 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc - 2007 Kona Major Jake

Game on, b*tches!
    Lower Allen Classic in Mechanicsburg,PA. BEAUTIFUL day, no arm warmers or leg warmers needed. Huge men's C, masters b, juniors, masters 55 and wimmins b field. Typical Lower Allen course with many off-camber turns and fast, fast, fast! I think I went too hard at the start and was dying about 1.5 laps in (mens masters b). We did a fast prologue lap to thin the field out and I paid, plus I did a stupid-azz thing and drank a carbonated energy drink right before the staging and felt like I had to hurl. With 2 laps to go my stomack settled down and I actually started to feel pretty good. I was actually hoping for another lap.... Oh well, lesson learned. I ran the barriers much better; even heard someone yell "good form" as I went through so that's a plus. Not sure where I finished as the results weren't posted before I left. Would have been fun to hang out for the elites and see our own vonteity battle it out. Best I could do was shake her hand and wish her well. Men's elite had some big names there including Chris Friggin Hoerner. Wonder how he did....My bikes working well; now I just have to work on the engine.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member

UNH Master A

First place. Got a gap in the mud pit half way through the first lap, and never looked back. About half the course was a mud slog, which I rode every time, cause it would have hurt too much to run. They started the Collegiate A's 3 minutes ahead of us, and I caught all of them but 1st and 2nd. Haven't had a W in 4 years, sure feels nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

UNH Course

A few years ago, I did UNH. It was an absolute mud bog. If it is the same course, the big field with the tractor road at the end was 12 inches of thick mud. Run it , ride it, it didn't matter it was slow. If you ran it your shoes got stuck, if road it, your wheels did. It would take the avergage rider about 2 minutes to go about 100yards. To make matters worse, there was a barrier at the end of the mud fileld. Like you weren't going slow enough already.

On a normal day the course is great. Through the equestrian, area along the pond, some single track. A little of everything.

Doc

Daylight Fading

UNH Master 4

Mixed feelings. Truly ugly mud. A gap got away and I never saw it again. Chain suck slowed me, but didn't affect my placing. I geared waaaay low, into my triple granny up front and road all of it out. No running. I hear they've had the course at another venue with better results. It's my alma mater, so of course I'd want to do it again, but not if it's that course.

All in all, it still beats not riding/racing and I did get a nice endorphan high post race, but other than that...

I got some great mud pics but every time I try to add them from this computer, it fails.

BT
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz

aka Zoo
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebob
    Mixed feelings. Truly ugly mud. A gap got away and I never saw it again. Chain suck slowed me, but didn't affect my placing. I geared waaaay low, into my triple granny up front and road all of it out. No running. I hear they've had the course at another venue with better results. It's my alma mater, so of course I'd want to do it again, but not if it's that course.

All in all, it still beats not riding/racing and I did get a nice endorphan high post race, but other than that...

I got some great mud pics but every time I try to add them from this computer, it fails.

BT
    BT,

If you wanna email them to me I can post them for you: [email protected]

I definitely liked the Kingman farm course better but I think they were having issues with the owners this year.
    2005 Orbea Lobular 100 - 2005 Hot Tubes Carbon - 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc - 2007 Kona Major Jake

Game on, b*tches!
    Whew. My streak is still intact. 24th out of 28 (3 DNFs). Here is the link to the story. A top 10 to von. ....http://www.cyclingnews.com/cross.php.../lower_allen06
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Mar 2006
    i did unh collegiate mens B. if you didnt get it was muddy from the above posts, well, it was muddy. we were the first race of the day (all 9 of us) and it wasn't to bad, everythiing was rideable (although 1 kid ran a section but he lost time doing that). i had a front row start, was 5th in the hole shot, 2nd out of the 2nd turn, 2nd into the barriers, where i dropped my chain. i was in last by the time it was back on. at that point the field split into 2 groups. i caught the second group, worked my way up into 6th place. i was about 1 min out of 5th at the start of lap 2. i slowly cut down that gap but never closed it, i think i was around 30 seconds out of 5th at the finish. so i got 6th. it happens, i dropped my chain and was super pissed as i was in 2nd and knew i could go for a top 3( knowing the riders in the field ). it was fun, i enjoyed it, and whatever, im looking forward to next weekend.

eyebob/bt - of you have any pics of the collegiate b race (930am) or the wommens elite/collegiate a/b race could you send them to me? [email protected] - thanks

Daylight Fading

West Hill/Putney

Again, first time on the course. Really, really fun course. I disliked the fact that they had a mass start for the Masters B/C (all groups), Men's 4, and Women's B. why all starts are not staggered is beyond me. Just let us go with 30 second intervals and the pile ups at all first obstacles wouldn't occur. My race had a crash on the steep downhill, which I almost avoided, but couldn't. I felt strong for 3 1/2 laps, but tanked on the 4th (or was it 5th?) lap. My crash just zapped my momentum. Funny how that happens.

As a postscript to both UNH and Putney, the music rocked at each event. Plenty of Beastie Boys at UNH, and I heard some Cake after our race in Putney.

BT

Mar 2006
    As a postscript to both UNH and Putney, the music rocked at each event. Plenty of Beastie Boys at UNH, and I heard some Cake after our race in Putney.
    haha, i helped make the playist for the unh race. we stayed with the unh team in the appt of the promotors and fri night helped make the prize bags and also the playlist. glad you enjoyeed it

and you all missed a fun unh post race partay.

50ft. Queenie
    UNH - B men
    blah. actually got a good start, stuck with the front guys for a bit.. then dropped to 8th... then 9th... then my wheels stopped turning, i think i got a tree stuck in there, with alot of mud... lost a couple spots there. finished 13th. ugh. that hurt sooo bad. i cant even tell you.

Brockton - B men
    started by parking on the road as told... registration was WAAAY up the road... i really had to piss... figured portapoties would be up there.. .nope, they didnt have any. nice. someone told me that they had em WAAAY at the other end of the park.. ugh.
    so then i got on the course.. basically some randomly hung caution flaging.. not on both sides.. just on 1 side, and just occasionally...

50% of the course was the most rocky singletrack i have ever seen... then you cross over a bridge with metal railings 3 feet wide (seriously).. then go into a barrier, run over another bridge with slippery wooden planks... then some pave.

not at all a typical cross course. not at all.

anyways.. 30-35 guys at the start line, it down poured (just to make matters worse)
    i seriously couldnt see anything for the entire first lap it was soo bad.. mud was everwhere.. the turtlehead rocks were bad... and passing on all that singletrack was impossible..

after a few laps someone said i was in 10th... then the next lap 8th... then my & my teamate come thru @ 5th & 6th... then i come thru solo in 3rd. holy crap im in 3rd...
    and i feel good... and i can see 2nd... hmm... this might end well... POP! front tire flat.
    suck. game over. i didnt bother with pitwheels & it was waaay to far to run anyways...

while i think it was a horrible cyclocross course, it was still a fun time....just wish i hadnt of flatted. ugh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeerse
    First place. Got a gap in the mud pit half way through the first lap, and never looked back. About half the course was a mud slog, which I rode every time, cause it would have hurt too much to run. They started the Collegiate A's 3 minutes ahead of us, and I caught all of them but 1st and 2nd. Haven't had a W in 4 years, sure feels nice.
    awesome, congrats on the V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

evergreen hs Seattle

Slept in decided to race the curtlo geared bike again, did pretty well last week in Bellingham, 6th place in the b class. I brought the cross check along as a ss pit bike, just incase, this time with a freewheel. No call up in a seattle series race, havn't raced much on a geared bike, so I started about half way back, or a little bit furtherback. Weather was kinda cold and rainy, didn't really get a warm up, but I don't usually. rode hard, couldn't really breath out of my nose, I'm sure I wasn't the only one, stalled out and had to run up the short hill after the downhill after the runup, after that I got into a slightly lower gear and was able to make it up, after that. The course was pretty muddy to be expected, but not overly so, it was also fairly open very cyclocross type of course, plenty of space to pass, not single track, some tough corners and slippery off cambers. I got a little bit of a side stich on the last lap, haven't had one of those for a long time, not even when I'm running, but I knew I had a guy trying to catch, me, I passed some women and others who were getting lapped, even Anne Knapp, but the guy behind me was able to get a second wind and pass me on a uphill with about a 1/4 lap or less to go, I was feeling pretty spent and wasn't able to catch him, ended up 10-15 seconds back in 16th place, out of 37finishers, felt fairly good about my finish, but felt light headed after the race and almost felt like I was going to puke, but I guess I did try hard enough, didn't have to use the cross check, the curtlo ran good just like DPXC said, he had no problems shifting and didn't need a bike change, I didn't get to see his race cause I got there later.

check out the podium
    Putney/West Hill Master A: The rain held off thank god, it would have been an absolute mess out there. On the way to the event, I had a conversation with a fellow rbr'er about not being in the mood to race. I claimed that had never happened to me, not even at nationals last year in that snow/sleet storm on Friday afternoon. This turned out to be a bit ironic: I discovered a crack in my frame as I took the bike off the roof and I could see that I may be eating my words before this day ended. The course started with some twisty sections (one set of barriers & a short muddy run up) behind the West Hill bike shop and then dropped down this greasy descent into a lap around a corn field (with a second set of barriers towards the end of the field). That was followed by a section of gravel road that led to a long but easy to climb run up and back to the start of the loop.

I staged in the second row and off the start was 10th or so into the upper barriers by the shop. The shock of the initial effort confirmed that I wasn't in the mood for this today and I just tried to hold my spot but people flew by me on the remount like I was in the wrong field or something. The second time down the steep hill the straddle cable on the front brake comes out of the set screw, leaving me with basically no brakes on the bike at all as my rears are set way loose. This is not my day! Besides the downhill, approaching the barriers was the only place where I really needed brakes, everywhere else I could just scrub speed by slowing a bit earlier or using my pathetic rear cantis. I decided to try a lap w/out fixing the brakes just to see how it all went. It was all good through the barriers and up the short run up, although I did bump into the guy infront of me a little. I tried to set up slowly for the greasy hill on lap three but it was too steep to really avoid flying down it so that's what happened. I had to take the muddier but straighter left hand line to stay on course, but it wasn't bad and I actually caught up to a few guys that were a bit ahead of me. I decided that I could survive that a half dozen more times without taking service.

I settled in with a group that was about 8 spots behind the leader and one of the local teams was blocking for a guy who was well off the front. Kind of silly, but whatever makes them happy. The little bit of rest that comes with group riding allowed me kind of get back into the spirit of the thing, because now there were only 25 minutes of suffering left and not the full 45. The brake problem was turning out to be a non issue and I was already dreaming of which bike I would be getting next to replace my faithful redline that was finishing up its last race ever. My group eventually whiddled down to about 5 guys and we rode this way for the final 4 laps of the race. With just over a lap to go, me & another guy attacked our group on the gravel road to be first up the big runup. I gapped him and the others over the upper barriers and through the twisty stuff and continued to roll away from the group throughout the last lap. I wondered if I had gone a bit harder earlier would I have been able to be hanging with a group further up? I finished 11th overall, 8th in the 35+ with 3 45+ guys infront of me. Not too bad. The frame held, but the crack is nearly all the way through the chainstay and the bike will be broken down today to avoid the temptation of trying to ride it even one more time.

Congrats to Zank for the 6th place and to the Putney guys & girls. The hometown team had some great results.
    http://legolord.blogspot.com/

early registration is worth hundreds of hours of training

-avatar photo courtesy of hup united

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Again, first time on the course. Really, really fun course. I disliked the fact that they had a mass start for the Masters B/C (all groups), Men's 4, and Women's B. why all starts are not staggered is beyond me. Just let us go with 30 second intervals and the pile ups at all first obstacles wouldn't occur. My race had a crash on the steep downhill, which I almost avoided, but couldn't. I felt strong for 3 1/2 laps, but tanked on the 4th (or was it 5th?) lap. My crash just zapped my momentum. Funny how that happens.

BT
    eyebob,
    You would have done better at Putney if you didn't waste all that energy flipping me the bird!

aka Zoo
    Apr 2003
    myette, what year is the redline and where is the crack? Redline may warranty it.

check out the podium
    Quote Originally Posted by DRLski
    myette, what year is the redline and where is the crack? Redline may warranty it.
    It's a 2003 and the crack is on the drive side chain stay just behind the bottom bracket. I'm going to see if my LBS will pursue this one for me, they are really good about those sorts of things.
    http://legolord.blogspot.com/

early registration is worth hundreds of hours of training

-avatar photo courtesy of hup united

Aug 2004

Talking CleveOH, Bay Village Masters

This course has always done right by me. And true 'cross weather... 40s and wet, muddy course... not the sticky kind though, just messy. Considering the weather, we still had a good turn out. I think most of the no shows were from the Master's field.

We got no warning on the 30 second send off, I guess we were talking to much about how fast the A's took off. With only the regular top 6s there, I ended up at the back on the start. I made up time on the sled hill run up, and the slick mud/cobble climb that was ridable, if you didn't loose all momentum.

Worked it to end up fourth... one place ahead of my normal standings, so a "good day" in my book.

More details on my blog at http://ehrlinger.blogspot.com

aka Zoo
    Apr 2003
    Does anyone have any pics of the UNH race I can throw on my blog to show all the mud? My camera died so I didn't get any.

RoadBikeReview Member

My first upgrade point - Putney

Though my head wasn't into it this weekend, I scored my first upgrade point at Putney.

UNH, cat 4 - What can I say? No excuse other than I just wasn't into it. I watched everyone else simply pedal away. I pushed on the pedals as hard as I could and lost more and more time. I looked at my watch coming to the end of lap 2. I figured we had been out there for 16 minutes or so and if I saw 1 to go I would finish. I even thought, well if it is 2 to go, I'll do it. Nope, 3 to go. I called it a day.I felt ashamed, but I had nothing in me.

My lousy feelings turned to feelings of delight though as I watched my wife finish 6th in the woman's 3/4 race. I was so psyched for her. It's her first real season of cross and she has moved up from dead last in her first race to being top third in this race. Cool.

Putney, cat 4 - Drove up with pal Myette. Had a great warmup and grabbed a front row spot next to season long battle partner Oscar J. Wistle blew and it was a 500 meter or so drag race to the first set of hurdles. One dude stacked it into the first hurdle and 5 or 6 of us got away. We stayed together around the upper portion of the course and then down the chute into the corn field. I jumped across to the lead three. But they had the gas and I couldn't hold the wheels. Found myself in a group with Oscar and a couple other guys. On lap 2 and 3, I was on the front of this group and then found myself alone in 4th. That was until a group of 3 caught me at the end of the 4th lap. We got the bell. If I was smart, I would have stayed on the front of this group, but I wasn't smart. I sat on wheels right until the run up and then couldn't get by. Ended up 6th (one guy in the group was a master and was scored seperate. He won the masters B race). So now I have 1 upgrade point! Only 14more until I get my cx3 upgrade.

Lessons learned.
    Well, I ddin't learn my lesson last week. I should have stayed on the front of that group no matter how bad I was huritng. I felt held up in the technical stuff following them and I should have done everything I could to lead into the run up. That race was decided at the bottom of the run up because there wasn't much road between the top of the run and the finish. When will I learn?

Oct 2006

UNH & West Hill/Putney

I did the self-dubbed "Maple Syrup Cross Racing Series" this weekend, with races in Durham, UNH and Putney, VT. These were my 3rd & 4th cross races, I competed in the C Men category.

UNH race - The weather on Saturday was beautiful a mostly sunny, balmy, 60 degree day for November. It had rained hard in the area on Wednesday night, so this led to the backside of the course being turned into a mud bog real fast.

After a practice lap (w/ all the mud, one was enough) I washed my bike off and got ready for the race. The first part of the course was cool, some nice turns, and a set of barriers, but the back half was brutal. There was a long "S" part on the rear part of the course. They say that 'cross is the equivalent to the European Tractor Pull, and no doubt it probably looked like a good ol' 'merican tractor pull took place back in Durham. I rode through it a couple of times, and then ran part of it for the last 3 laps. I made some spots up running on the first time, and held my place the other times. If it had been another few laps, it probably wouldn't have been worth it to run, because when you remounted you all your momemtum went sinking down into the mud. After getting out of the bog, there were some more barriers and then a little uphill into a short wooded area followed by the finish. I was hurting for sure after this race, but the post race recovery meal of a root beer and sausage hit the spot. I didn't stick around long enough to see the results, but I probably finished towards somewhere in the 20s (don't see 'results online yet). In retrospect, I wish they could've implemented more of the wooded area in lieu of the back corner of the field. But overall, it was a fun day with a good vibe provided by the UNH cross crew.

Interesting observations during the trip out and back to UNH... I passed the Lee Speedway which is part of the NASCAR circuit (you don't see much in New England) What was a little more suprising was that right next door is the entrance for a "Family Nudist camp" (they're online! nhnude.com). NASCAR enthusiasts and New Hampshire nudists so close together, quite a combo!

West Hill / Putney, VT race: The weather was overcast and probably in the high 50s. We were lucky to have the rain hold off until later that afternoon. This course was super fun. It had lots of technical areas, twisting and turning around the actual West Hill Shop. The first half of the course had a fast set of barriers, a couple of whup-dee-doos over the dirt jumping area, a natural log barrier/run up, and a tricky turn followed by a fast downhill. The 2nd half after the downhill, was a big lap around a ploughed corn field, which ended with a set of barriers and then a turn on to a gravel road, which ultimately led to the famous Putney run-up and back up the shop.

I crashed on the downhill twice, once in practice and once on the 4th lap. During practice it was from too much braking. It probably looked like the mudslide scene in "Romancing the Stone" as my backside was covered. The 2nd time it was because I had to change my line and go inside, unfortunately I probably lost 5 spots there. I was able to make recover some spots in the barriers and the run-ups. On the final lap I eventually caught some of the riders I had been with before my crash and made up a several spots taking the direct route up the steep run-up. Though I probably lost 2 spots by not being to get into my pedals for the finish which was just a short distance away. I finished 16th out of 27. I'd like to be able to break into the top half in the next couple of races.

Overall it was a really fun course and another festive atmosphere at West Hill. They even hooked the racers up w/ a free Ibex merino wool skully. Some of my family got to see what cyclocross was all about. It was pretty awesome to have my 5 year old niece ringing the cow bell and yelling "Go Uncle Tom"! Post race recovery meal of homemade sugared donuts and hot apple cider was soo good! Big ups to West Hill Shop. I will definitely be back next year for this race.

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by CrossWorkOrange; 11-13-2006 at 02:28 PM.

aka Zoo
    Apr 2003
    Zank, UNH was definintely a hard race...I was wondering why I didn't see you pass me. I saw you take a good fall in the mud as I passed you on the second lap. Congrat your wife for me!! And Congrats on Sunday!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    NM Cross #6. A Category.
    I suck. I wasn't feeling well, but I'm leading the series so I had to try to salvage what I could. I made the front group of 5, but never settled in, and was dropped. I didn't have it physically today, that part I'm alright with; but I was fighting my bike all day. That's what really hurt me. The course was 80% grass with a bunch of corners, and 2 sandpits (one run, one ride). The course was great, and as a good course should, it punished you for making mistakes. I made a bunch, losing a second in turns here and there. Normally I'm gaining in difficult spots, not losing. It was a good reminder that you have to put it all together in cross. I ended up a fading 5th place probably 45 seconds to a minute down on the winners. I'm still leading the series, but my lead took a significant hit.

Daylight Fading

Mayor,

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    eyebob,
    You would have done better at Putney if you didn't waste all that energy flipping me the bird!
    I regret that I had but only one bird to flip!

BT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast