Race Reports 11/18, 11/19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    More Cowbell!

Post 'em if ya gots 'em.

I'm heading into my first double race weekend ... well ... ever. Maybe I'll be recovered late in the week ...
    Pro rep, yo!

Game on, b*tches!
    Ok. That makes me feel better. Next weekend is my 1st double, and I'm a noob. I'm attempting to see if I can be the worst CX racer in PA and MD, all in 1 weekend....
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Nov 2006
    its 10:38.

im just waking up, going to get some food and then do a nice easy spin to loosen up for tmrw.......

and all of you bast'ds are racing right now. in fact some of you are done.....

im so jealeous

how did it go?

PJB
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    I did my first back to back race last weekend. I felt pretty good on Sun, I placed the same both Sat. and Sun. What made it kinda tough, were the guys who raced on Sun but not on Sat. All in all it was a blast, on Mon I was a little tired, but I recovered well and did not need any time off and I'm looking forward to racing on Sun.
    Ride till it hurts... then ride some more

RoadBikeReview Member

I can't wait to hear all of the stories from the GP.

Gripped, I figured I would get this started. You want to make it a sticky?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I raced in Louisville CO race today. I wasn't really in the mood for racing but I went anyway. Raced with the 3's. I don't think I warmed up enough, but the biggest problem was that my head wasn't in the race. I started pretty close to the back and a few people passed me in the first half. Then I passed a few people. I would have liked the course a lot more if it was smoother. I'm waiting for a rainy weekend. I miss racing in the mud. I feel like my strength is in the bad conditions.

The couple of days that I've spent on skis hasn't helped me stay focused on CX, but that's OK. I'm ready for the snow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Usgp, 45+

I raced at the GP in Steilacoom today, in the 45+ race at 1pm.
    The weather was dry and maybe 50F. No mud. In fact I don't need to wash my bike at all. Such a change from the last two weeks!

There were no call-ups for my class, which was a mix of Cat 1,2, and 3. I'm a 3, and had never raced with the big boys before. Actually there were call-ups, in order of registration. So I found myself in the front row, next to Dan Norton and Randy Iddings, who finished 4th and 1st. I was thinking "What am I doing up here with the fast guys?", but I wasn't complaining. I knew it wouldn't last, of course.

The course was nice. Some pavement, some wide trails, some level grass, and that long, long runup. There were basically no technically difficult places, and the course was pretty smooth in most places. I used the Michelin muds again, and they were good, but I probably could have used the Jets as well on this surface.
    There weren't too many opportunities to recover - lots of time on the gas.

I whined in this forum a few weeks ago about my position on the bike. A couple of people suggested that I get a proper bike fit, and I did that last Tuesday. I felt some clear improvement from that. In short, my seat is farther back, and my feet farther forward (cleats moved back). I feel like I'm engaging my glutes now instead of relying mostly on my quads, so I've got more power, and this was a good day to have some power. I still ended up 20th of 35, so it's not night and day, but I felt good all day, and my average heart rate over the race is up, which I take as a sign that I was backing off less. My legs feel pleasantly worked, but not overworked in one area like before.

I also felt good about being able to run up that long run up each time, which I couldn't do when I raced here in October. I managed to pass a few guys here. This was the most popular place for spectators, and it was cool to hear the cheers.

After my race I ate some food and watched the Elites race.

First picture is the 'Knapp-time' run-up - lap 2 of men's elites. The leaders already had a small gap on this large group.
    Second pic is a minute or two later in the course, as we hairpinned thru some old maple trees.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by erikbrooks; 11-18-2006 at 10:59 PM.

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    I can't wait to hear all of the stories from the GP.
    Let me just say that it was a whuppin'. I had a great time tough.

Some highlights ...

* Hooking a ride with Terry (kajukembo). Great company.
    * Meeting Anthony and Dave (giovani sartori, DPCX)
    * The course. A+ and fast. What a run-up!
    * The weather. Couldn't have been better. It was a no bike wash race.

Some lowlights
    * Biffing on the barriers on lap 2 (what's up with me and barriers this year?)
    * The crappy music the junior contingent was blasting in the parking lot

Holy crapiola, it was fast. I was 55th out of 70 starters and 63 finishers. Let me just say that it was totally worth it hands down. Fans crowded the top on the run-up cheering and ringing cow bells. It made me want to go harder every lap -- so I wouldn't dissappoint. It was just awsome.

I think I started fourth row and it was the offical roadbikereview.com row since it contained me, kajukembo, giovani sartori, and MCBR (Martin).
    Pro rep, yo!

Daylight Fading

Sol, I was wondering where you'd gone.

I hadn't seen any postings recently. Lowell was a fun course. Maybe next year.

BT
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did Lowell last year and really enjoyed it. You're right it is a fun course. Cleaning the cinders off the bike afterwards was a pain though.

Game on, b*tches!
    Well if you like the mud, you should have been at EVo Cross outside of Philly today. Flat as a pancake course which would have been superfast under normal circumstances but we recieved buckets of rain this week and it was a friggin bog. There was mud almost everywhere. No place to take a break. 2 sets of barriers the first of which you had to run for about 30-40 yards before it since riding was too slow. Lots of areas where it was best to run. I picked up my bike to cross the barriers and it felt like it must've weighed about 90 lbs. If had been just mud, that would have been one thing, but it was a friggin hay field and the mud and grass started to make little bird houses around the tires, seatpost; everywhere. I had a nice little weave of it around my front wheel. The challenge wasn't where you'd plave but did you have it in you to finish. I did the men's B masters. 29th out of 35. Had I known I was on the last lap I may not have stopped to clean my wheels out, costing me a couple of places. Worst of all, NO FRIGGIN HOSES TO CLEAN THE BIKES, soooooooo, we trotted off to the pond nearby and baptised the bikes (and us) in it. Fun times. Kinda like doing squats for a 1/2 hr, non stop.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Daylight Fading

Lowell, MA

Really fun course. It was my first Master's A/B race. The start was slow for me. I just have the horsepower and huztpa to make my way up a field like that. I narrowly missed two accidents early on. Followed George from Nault's for the first 3 laps (man can he pick some good lines) but lost him on the big hill. I have a triple front and really love using it for those types of climbs. I used it a good bit at Southington too. Interestingly, when I bought my cross bike I sort of frowned at the triple front. Now I don't know what I'd do without it. Well, I guess I do know, I'd be running a lot more.

Zanc, John, CrossWorkOrange and The Mayor. Check your e-mail for the photos that I sent along.

BT
    Team NHCC

RoadBikeReview Member

Slick Willy -- Lowell, Mass

Master's 35+ A:

Got a front row position for the start, but the official didn't have a whistle, and called the start from the other side of the field, so my side went when we saw the other side take off.

The course went around a cinder track, up a little set of concrete stairs, up a hill, back down the hill, zig-zig back up the hill, then lots and lots of hairpins to make our way back down the hill to a 10 second flat section, into some woods for more technical stuff, out of the woods to the barriers, then back to the cinder track. All in all about 6 1/2 - 7 min lap. This was probably the most technical course so far this year -- there were barely any sections you could just crank it on, and you always had to be thinking ahead because just a moment of inattention and something tricky was upon you.

As we started onto the track I was in the top 15, and moved into the top 10 as we went up the hill the first time. Passed a few more guys as we made our way back up the hill, and finally was in the top 5. We had a bit of a gap, and once I realized some of the guys were a little blown from the starting effort I went to the front to make it harder. Pretty soon it was just me and another guy, and that's the way it stayed the rest of the race. We rode together pretty steady, and our gap increased a little each lap. A few laps in I went down on one of the technical downhills, and chased for about 3/4 of the lap to make it back up to my partner. On the last lap he nailed it just before the barriers, and I didn't respond in time, giving him a gap that he held through the cinder track to the finish. Last week I was first, this week second, the best two weeks I've ever had in about 12 years of cyclocrossing.
    Last edited by jmeerse; 11-20-2006 at 03:10 AM.

Daylight Fading

Another killer result

What team do you ride for? I may have a photo or two of you. Is your team kit yellow and green?

BT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Eyebob,
    I ride for Hurricane Mountain Multisport, a shop out of North Conway, NH (though they're closing at the end of the year, so I'll have to find a new team). It's a yellow and green kit. Thanks.

Nov 2006

lowell, mass - mens B (3/4)

did my first b-race at lowell today. i was signed up for C's....but when we got there we found out that C's was full for day-of reg.....and we had convinced one of our friends to try cross for the first time. i didnt want to make him drive all the way for nothing, so i convinced the promoter to let him take my number and i would race in b's (since he wasnt a master and there was no way he was gonna do a 3/4 race). on the bright side i felt so sick all morning (i ate a banana, coffee, and 2/3 of a bagel and was near puking a few times on the drive).....but not racing till 1230 meant i could relax, get some more food in me and enjoy the morning.

course description - start on dirt, onto the cinder track, 3 steps, small little climb, down, big climb, a little non-technical narrow patch through the woods, switchback, grassy area, switchback around a picnic table, into a descent that had 2 tricky turns (the latter of which many ppl went down in the races i watched because it was torn up), into a fast 90 degree loose dirt turn, flat grassy section, into the woods, a few turns on a dirt path, 2 switchbacks, barriers, then grass onto the track.....all in all a very very fun course

so b's......were alot of fun. i lined up 2nd row (only 2 rows at the start) not having an delusions of grandeur, missed my pedals and was about 2/3 of the way back going into the stairs.....what a friggen clusterf*ck........got through there alive, and found myself about last wheel of the continuios line (with a few guys already dropped off).....so for so good. coming into the hill, i dumped it down, but my rd wasnt working so my granny was a 38-23, not bad, but it would have been nice to use the 25. i powered up the climb, passed a few guys who were running and others who were riding, and settled into about what i think must have been 25th or so wheel. i rode the top part of the course, really suprised at how much quicker ppl took corners and already feeling a bit tired....i survived the fisrt lap fine.

lap 2 - sketchy descent, and skidded my front wheel at the muddy part at the bottom (which i did every lap) and then hammered the flat section to close the gap i lost. was fine through the woods, and on the switchback before the one with the tree that went to the barriers i pulled out of my pedals and rode into the woods. lost 3 spots there, but was fine. came around and saw 5 to go and was like.....oh crap, this is gonna be bad.

on lap 3 i pulled out of my pedal on the uphill and had to run the last 10 feet but didnt loose any spots. later on lap three, i somehow forgot to get a hand on the top tube at the barriers and procedded to lift my front wheel from the bars, only to have the rear slam the barriers, fly up, come down, do it again, i drop my bike, and stumble, pick it up sort of dazed, and proceed to ride right into the course tape and take down a stake....a very embarrassing moment as a bunch of my friends were there and have photo evidence - zanc, you may have seen that since i think you (or some other hup-ers) were camped out just past the barriers during most of the race

laps 4/5 went fine, i was tired and dazed and really out of it at the top of the climb, but thats a good thing.

lap 6 i fell on the turn before the super slow turn on the sketchy descent, lost a spot which i never made up, but at that point i was stoked to be finishing alive

i was 27 of 38 finishers, who knows how many starters

my thoughst about racing B's (after my best ever finish was 31 in c's at noho) is that frigggg....these guys are fast. really fast. they corner fast, they dont have as much time to recover, and they are fast. however, i learned a ton about how fast i could corner (read i was skidding either the front or rear tire on nearly every 90degree or switchback, b ut that may have been my tire pressure) but still in some control. and i learned alot about what it takes to race B's......i cant imagine an elite race.. zank, others, you guys could do pretty solid in b's if your all doing muchbetter than me in c's.....plus late start times rock. and now im really super motiviated to train and get faster. plus i think i mauy have been the only 1st year riding 19 yr old in b's....all you darn old guys with your experience and such

sry for such a long report and terrible grammer/typing

edit - i spied someone riding for "team rbr" in either a c or masters race....who were you....
    Last edited by allons-y; 11-19-2006 at 07:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

USGP Steilacoom, Masters 1/2/3

Quote Originally Posted by Gripped
    I think I started fourth row and it was the offical roadbikereview.com row since it contained me, kajukembo, giovani sartori, and MCBR (Martin).
    I was in that row too, one over from you. Where’s the love man?

Ok, here is the short & not so sweet race report.

As we approached the run-up on the first lap I was sitting mid to 3/4 pack when all of a sudden, CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK!!! While I was down shifting the chain jumped over the 26 & into the spokes, breaking two, heavily tweaking my wheel & bending the crap out of the rear derailleur. The chain even slipped out of the cage & was routed over the little loop thingy. For a brief moment I was pedaling fixed. I skidded to a stop, checked over the bike (while the whole freakin field went by) & headed out on my run. Luckily from the top of the run-up to the start of the downhill wasn’t as far as the old course.

Once on the downhill I coasted until I came to the flat spot near the ruins (an old blown out building). I stopped for a brief moment & got the chain routed the right way but was only able to soft pedal the rest of the way to the pits. Once there, I grabbed my B bike & was off to chase down anyone I could. I managed to pick off several 45+ guys & could see a friend of mine way ahead of me. If it hadn't been for the crowd cheering me on the run-up I may have pulled the plug early.

Through the pits finishing up lap 4 of 5, I yelled at my crew to see how close the leaders were. Everyone yelled back that they were nowhere near & to keep going. Oh well, one more time up the hill will be good training I thought.

On the last lap I spotted three guys ahead of me on the run-up so kicked it up a notch. I got pretty close to them by the top but bobbled my remount. I slowly bridged up to them by the final corner to the finishing straight. We all wound it up from 100 yards out but the best I could manage was 3rd out of 4 in the sprint. No big deal though, they were from the 45+ category & I was only sprinting for pride. Well, later I looked at the results & found out that two of them WERE from the 35+ 1/2/3's. I wish I had known this before, maybe I could have dug deeper & cracked the top 60.LOL.

With the time I lost on the first lap I guess it was a small moral victory that I didn’t get lapped.

For the next several hours I debated on whether or not to race in PDX on Sunday. Josh (Wunlap) convinced me to just do it. I got home, grabbed a shiny Dura Ace rear derailleur off my road bike along with a new hanger & I was in business. However, I woke Sunday morning with a swollen soar throat & voice that sounded like Barry White (I had been fighting something all week). With the forecast for 30mph winds, heavy rain & 6+ hours in the car, my decision was easy. Live to fight another day. Hope you all had fun in P-Town.

cheers,
    DP

P.S. I had a good time letting Wunlap crash at my pad all weekend. Nothing more fun that geekin out with another bike junkie! Oh, & his Rock Lobsters are pretty damn sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DPCX; 11-19-2006 at 05:50 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DPCX
    Hope you all had fun in P-Town.

cheers,
    DP

we had a great time although I pedaled squares and tripped all over the course. I've had 8 good races, 3 great races and 2 bad ones. I may have heard Giovani saying that today's race was the most fun ever. However, I may have been a lactate induced fog and been hearing voices.

i stayed around and watched Tim Johnson display his superior technical skills and crack the twin towers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kajukembo
    we had a great time although I pedaled squares and tripped all over the course. I've had 8 good races, 3 great races and 2 bad ones. I may have heard Giovani saying that today's race was the most fun ever. However, I may have been a lactate induced fog and been hearing voices.

i stayed around and watched Tim Johnson display his superior technical skills and crack the twin towers.
    Sounds like i missed out. I just got off the phone with my good buddies Sean & Queen Ann herself, just wondering why I went MIA today. hack, hack, cough, cough....I probably made the right decision.

Curious, was your last row start at StarCrossed your other bad race? I'll put in a good word for you next year & get you up front.

DP

RoadBikeReview Member
    Saturday was bad. I was in the lead group of 4 when I flatted 40 minutes in. After 4 wheel changes I dropped out of the points, got grumpy and dropped out. 2nd place in the Series won, and I lost my series lead. I drank lots of beer and didn't think about cycling.

Today: Tough, tight course. I didn't start well, but battled back to 2nd. Near blackout level the last 3 laps. The new series leader was a no show, so I took back the series lead with 2 races to go. It's gonna be close.

RoadBikeReview Member

GGP SF - Likely done for the season

The SF GGP race course was much faster than usual. Some nice setups on downhill so you could just open it up. No grueling run ups though, so you had to use the flat sections and minor hills to pass.

On the 2nd lap, on the short barrier run up before the finish I was approaching the barrier when I planted my right foot and heard/felt a pop in my calf. Like a small balloon popping. I knew it was bad but I tried to remount to see if I could nut up and finish. Nope. Man, that sucked. I'm supposed to play golf on Turkey Day too. Hopefully, a lot of ice and ibuprofen will get me there...

RoadBikeReview Member

albion thrills cyclo-cross. bolton, ontario

venue: albion hills conservation area. my first visit so i didn't know what to expect. not as many hills as the name might suggest. nearly root-free eastern woodlands. no sand. another event scheduled for this weekend had canceled on short notice and the folks at albion hills were able to put together a great event over the course of about two weeks. bravo. maybe not the most natural cyclocross course. part of the course included a trip through some sort of trailer camper graveyard. but the chicanes! the spirals! really rewards the true 'crosser. my group (master men 40+) started with the mini-me's (kids on the cusp of adolesence). i was surprised at how long they were able to hang onto the opening charge. the course also included a narrow bridge which featured two way race traffic. only added to the excitement.
    costs: $25 (CAN) entry fee.
    freebies: excellent home-made chili. hot dogs. hamburgers.
    weather: temperatures above freezing, a little windy, overcast, the slightest bit of snow.
    results: 13th out of 30 finishers in the master male BCD (40+) race. 6 min 35 sec back.
    numbers:
    laps: 6
    average lap time: 9min25sec
    average wattage: 232. a real grinder. in the little ring quite a bit. my guess for the leader of my group's avg wattage is 262.
    peak wattage: 763
    avg. speed: 19.7 km/hr
    peak velocity: 42 km/hr
    finishing time: 56min 35sec (official)
    avg cadence 69 rpm
    calories spent on the bike: 792
    calories burned per minute: 13.99
    avg heart rate: 153 beats per minute (what a loafer!)
    time heart rate was >173b/m: 26 secs
    for 55 min 14 secs, the heart rate was between 155 and 172.
    rider weight: 80 kg
    body fat: 14.2%
    BMI: 24.1 kg/m2
    tyres: michelin muddy 2's. three bar.
    pre-race meal: pancakes, orange juice and coffee from mickey D's
    number of dogs at the park: 4. one chesapeake bay retriever and three labs. two yellows and a dark one. not sure if it was black or chocolate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velociped jones
    venue: albion hills conservation area. my first visit so i didn't know what to expect. not as many hills as the name might suggest. nearly root-free eastern woodlands. no sand. another event scheduled for this weekend had canceled on short notice and the folks at albion hills were able to put together a great event over the course of about two weeks. bravo. maybe not the most natural cyclocross course. part of the course included a trip through some sort of trailer camper graveyard. but the chicanes! the spirals! really rewards the true 'crosser. my group (master men 40+) started with the mini-me's (kids on the cusp of adolesence). i was surprised at how long they were able to hang onto the opening charge. the course also included a narrow bridge which featured two way race traffic. only added to the excitement.
    costs: $25 (CAN) entry fee.
    freebies: excellent home-made chili. hot dogs. hamburgers.
    weather: temperatures above freezing, a little windy, overcast, the slightest bit of snow.
    results: 13th out of 30 finishers in the master male BCD (40+) race. 6 min 35 sec back.
    numbers:
    laps: 6
    average lap time: 9min25sec
    average wattage: 232. a real grinder. in the little ring quite a bit. my guess for the leader of my group's avg wattage is 262.
    peak wattage: 763
    avg. speed: 19.7 km/hr
    peak velocity: 42 km/hr
    finishing time: 56min 35sec (official)
    avg cadence 69 rpm
    calories spent on the bike: 792
    calories burned per minute: 13.99
    avg heart rate: 153 beats per minute (what a loafer!)
    time heart rate was >173b/m: 26 secs
    for 55 min 14 secs, the heart rate was between 155 and 172.
    rider weight: 80 kg
    body fat: 14.2%
    BMI: 24.1 kg/m2
    tyres: michelin muddy 2's. three bar.
    pre-race meal: pancakes, orange juice and coffee from mickey D's
    number of dogs at the park: 4. one chesapeake bay retriever and three labs. two yellows and a dark one. not sure if it was black or chocolate.
    But did ya have fun is my question

aka Zoo
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by erikbrooks
    First picture is the 'Knapp-time' run-up - lap 2 of men's elites. The leaders already had a small gap on this large group.
    Wow, think I just found my new wallpaper, that looks fun
    2005 Orbea Lobular 100 - 2005 Hot Tubes Carbon - 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc - 2007 Kona Major Jake

RoadBikeReview Member

Plymouth and Lowell

Well, It was another great New England weekend for cross. Plymouth is a classic, maybe even consdiered the birth place of North American cross, thanks to Paul Curley. Lowell is fast becoming a classic thanks to Doc Hollywood and the rest of the BRC gang, who put on a fantastic race.

Both courses are fun, fast and test your fitness. The cat 4 fields were huge! 60-ish on Saturday and 70-ish on Sunday. Who says people start staying indoors once the time changes?

Both races were kind of a blur for me. and I rode alone for most of both of them. At Plymouth, there were 2 guys off the front and a group of 5 that I just couldn't hang with. There were sections I would get close to catching them, and then they would gap me on the grind up from the steep ride up through the start/finish to the top of the course. I would spend the rest of the lap trying to get back on. No dice, no upgrade points. Had to settle for 8th.

Lowell was a little better. Had a great start with my teammate, Yash, and rode the first lap hovering around 8th or 9th. It was all single file and I think everyone was hurting pretty good. I picked a few people off as they let gaps open. I would jump past them and across the gap to tag onto the back of the group. Eventually, things got sorted out though and I was riding alone in 6th for the last two laps. I almost caught the guy in 5th as we went over the hurdles and onto the track. But he had more gas in the drag race. It was a good battle and I picked up 1 upgrade point with my 6th place finish. 2 down, 13 points to go. It is going to be tough to get my cat 3 upgrade by the end of the year, but I have 5 more races to get it done. Then, lots of fun at Nationals getting stompted by the 30-34 and the B Men Under 35 fields!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast