Salsa rings vs SRAM chain

Aug 2003

Salsa rings vs SRAM chain

I replaced my triple Shimano LX rings with a Salsa 36/48 set. I also replaced the chain with a SRAM ?. The cassette is new also. I could not apply any pressure when in the small ring. The chain skipped. I am hoping that a few miles will wear this problem out.

Any similar experiences?

More Cowbell!

Different but Similar

Quote Originally Posted by ORdirtydown
    I replaced my triple Shimano LX rings with a Salsa 36/48 set. I also replaced the chain with a SRAM? The cassette is new also. I could not apply any pressure when in the small ring. The chain skipped. I am hoping that a few miles will wear this problem out.
    I replaced my worn Shimano 39 with a new Shimano 39 but didn't replace the chain. I couldn't get the chain to drop on the 39 for crap. I replaced the worn chain (Shimano) with a new SRAM. Initially I had some issues, but in no time it was dropping on the 39 fine. I would imagine that your issues will iron out soon -- just spend a lot of time on the small ring to wear it in a little.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ORdirtydown
    I replaced my triple Shimano LX rings with a Salsa 36/48 set. I also replaced the chain with a SRAM ?. The cassette is new also. I could not apply any pressure when in the small ring. The chain skipped. I am hoping that a few miles will wear this problem out.

Any similar experiences?
    Skipped in the back or the front? If the back, you sure you got the derailleur adjusted right? I had something of the same problem last night on my night ride. Turns out the wrench that turned the barrel adjusters wasn't cailbrated right...

Mike
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MShaw
    Skipped in the back or the front? If the back, you sure you got the derailleur adjusted right? I had something of the same problem last night on my night ride. Turns out the wrench that turned the barrel adjusters wasn't cailbrated right...

Mike
    After we replaced the cassette and made some adjustments to the derailleur and hanger, the wrench and a friend watched closely as I was able to replicate the problem immediately in the parking lot. That is how we determined it was the small front ring. No problem with the large ring.