Shimano Hydraulic ST-RS685 or Sram Hydraulic
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Shimano Hydraulic ST-RS685 or Sram Hydraulic

I can find very brief reviews of each individually, but I thought by now there would be some written up comparison of the two, but can't find anything online. Anyone else have something? Trying to decide which route to go on my next build (doing 2x11) and the only really difference I see is that I can build the Sram and use their WiFli and can get a larger Cassette then compared with Shimano. Also I noticed that a lot of the 2015 stock cross bikes are using Sram.
    Unicycles are for clowns

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    If I'm judging based on my LBS' technicians' experiences with MTB brake bleeding, .... they loathe SRAM hydraulics for this reason.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    My only experience with SRAM discs are the Rival Hydros on my BSB. Both front and rear make a scraping and high-pitched squeal like nails on a chalkboard.

The Shimano XTs on my mountain bike are almost completely quiet with resin pads and even with metallics don't sound as cheap as the SRAMs.

I'd go with Shimano's engineering over SRAM when it comes to hydro disc brakes. On the other hand, I prefer the more positive tactile feel of SRAM Doubletap shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Shimano.... Great product.....
    Get this thing off my head!!!!!
    www.augustacrosscoalition.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    i got both sram 22 red hydro (ie road hydro) - and the shimano

both are very good, i cant see any big diff in performance between them.
    older avid brakes have nothing in common with sram red hydro.

too many anti-sram bois around forums. you can't go wrong with either on road.

ps: sram hydro+centerline actually makes less noise (basically none) than the shimanos with the ice tech xt rotors (but they aint bad either)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermustard View Post
    too many anti-sram bois around forums. you can't go wrong with either on road.
    SRAM hydraulic recall and how they handled it did not do anyone any favors. They pissed off customers, stores and manufacturers who basically could not sell their bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuna View Post
    I can find very brief reviews of each individually, but I thought by now there would be some written up comparison of the two, but can't find anything online. Anyone else have something? Trying to decide which route to go on my next build (doing 2x11) and the only really difference I see is that I can build the Sram and use their WiFli and can get a larger Cassette then compared with Shimano. Also I noticed that a lot of the 2015 stock cross bikes are using Sram.
    Shimano makes a mid-cage rear dérailleur that'll handle a 32t cog. Just like WiFli

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I've got the Shimano 685's with an 11-32 cassette. Used to ride Red 22 hydro. It isn't close. The Shimano brakes are way better. On my 2x11 I'd without question go Shimano.

On my 1x11 CX race bike, I'd go SRAM because the 1x with the clutch is really, really good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Shimano hydros are far superior.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lee View Post
    SRAM hydraulic recall and how they handled it did not do anyone any favors. They pissed off customers, stores and manufacturers who basically could not sell their bikes.
    Not to mention I know of a few people where the LBS basically declining to put the refreshed brakes and calipers on. They told a friend of mine that they "don't have time for the next 3 months" to do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousalex View Post
    Not to mention I know of a few people where the LBS basically declining to put the refreshed brakes and calipers on. They told a friend of mine that they "don't have time for the next 3 months" to do it.
    Your BS meter needs recalibrating. No way a shop refused to install the new brakes, unless they'd written off ever doing business with SRAM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Your BS meter needs recalibrating. No way a shop refused to install the new brakes, unless they'd written off ever doing business with SRAM.
    I didn't say they didn't say they wouldn't do it, they said they didn't have time. I.e. they didn't give a **** likely because SRAM wasn't compensating them enough to do the swap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousalex View Post
    I didn't say they didn't say they wouldn't do it, they said they didn't have time. I.e. they didn't give a **** likely because SRAM wasn't compensating them enough to do the swap.
    Yeah, 'cause they didn't want a satisfied customer, either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Yeah, 'cause they didn't want a satisfied customer, either.
    The money was already spent. Do I really need to point you to all the "my LBS doesn't care about me threads". There are plenty of LBSes out there that don't really care once they have the money. Especially ones that are chains with multiple locations (like the one in question). Anyways, it's the internet, believe what you want to believe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Shops got more than fairly reimbursed to complete the warranty Hydro work...Why again would they not want to do it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post
    Shops got more than fairly reimbursed to complete the warranty Hydro work...Why again would they not want to do it?
    Do you have a figure on how much SRAM actually would pay them? This same shop charges $50 labor to install a new GXP bottom bracket. That's like what, 15 minutes of work? Redoing all the cables and housing plus bleeding the brakes takes a whole lot longer than that. Not to mention she was talking to the the mechanics that get paid the same whether they do work or hang around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Some LBS are d-bags. Most aren't.

If a mechanic gives you a line of BS like that (especially at a large chain store)... it's time to speak with someone higher up and tell them how dissatisfied you are. Likely, they'll get you in much sooner.

Another reason (if possible) to support a smaller LBS that actually gives a crap about their customer base.