Sizing Ridley X-Fire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Sizing Ridley X-Fire

I'm looking to purchase a Ridley X-Fire but don't know what size to get.
    I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I ride a 54 cm road bike.
    I measured my road bike and it seems to match best with a 50 cm.
    But to go down two sizes seems crazy. Was thinking the 52 cm would fit but the stand over is higher. With the 50 I'm just concerned that the TT being too short and feeling tight on the bike.

veldrijder
    Nov 2007
    The 54 has a 545 mm top tube and the 52 a 535 mm TT. You didn't explcitly say, but if your "size" 54 road bike has a 54 cm top tube then I'd say take your pick of those two sizes depending how your road bike fits you. Choose the one that lets you run a 100-110 mm stem, IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    The stand over is crazy high. If you have a local dealer, I'd go try them first. I was needing to go down two sizes and then the top tube was too short. Someone will come on here and say stand over doesn't matter, and maybe on a pure road bike I'd agree with them, but I didn't want a cross bike I couldn't jump up and remount easily and I wanted some clearance when standing.

Certified Bike *****
    Aug 2008
    I am also 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam and was in your same shoes 2 months ago. I went with the 50cm ridley x-fire even though I normally ride a 54 cm road bike. My cycling coach had fit me to several bikes and I took his word on getting a 50cm.

I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY DECISION.

The bike feels the same as my road bike when I use a 100mm stem and a thomson setback seatpost. The bike is TALL so a 52 would have punched my nuts as the 50cm is already tight.

I do not have any toe overlap either. Which I thought I would certainly have on such as "small sized" frame. I also have a size 42 shoe which may help a bit.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Quote Originally Posted by theartofbike
    I'm looking to purchase a Ridley X-Fire but don't know what size to get.
    I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I ride a 54 cm road bike.
    I measured my road bike and it seems to match best with a 50 cm.
    But to go down two sizes seems crazy. Was thinking the 52 cm would fit but the stand over is higher. With the 50 I'm just concerned that the TT being too short and feeling tight on the bike.
    Go with a 52

I had the same predicament when I was deciding. I am 5'11" and ride a 56 road bike, the "expert" recomended me the 52. It was too small. I could make it fit with a long stem and a 32mm seatback post, but it wasn't good.

I bought a size 54 and this fits right. ( even though I just replaced the 110mm stem by a 130mm stem to have the same reach as my road bike).

I think I could fit in the 56 but then the standover would be too high, the 54 is the good compromise for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I ride 56cm Ridley's (X-Fire and CrossBow) and generally 58cm on the road (Felt FC, Kuota Kebel) or 60cm (Trek Madone).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

More Info.....

Still don't know which to go with? 50 or 52? worried about being too tight in the Top Tube Length.

Road Bike

Center BB top TT 478

EFF TT Length 545

Stand over 761

Ridley 50cm

Center BB top TT 540
    Center to Center 500

EFF TT Length 530

Stand over 800

Ridley 52cm

Center BB top TT 560
    Center to Center 520

EFF TT Length 535

Stand over 820

Road has a 110 stem.

5’ 8” with 30” inseam

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I am the same size as you and for the last 2 seasons raced a 52 X-fire. My advice would be to ignore standover and focus on TT length. I like to have 100mm or shorter stem on my cross bike, so I keep the TT length the same as my road bike, but use a 10mm shorter zero degree rise stem.. I have also ridden on and been comfortable with the 54. Based on your numbers the cockpit on the 50 will likely feel too short.

veldrijder
    Nov 2007
    No question, get the 52 and run a 110 stem like your road bike. When is the last time you "stood over" your bike except on the start line?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Absolutely fit to the top tube. I am even shorter (29" inseam), which means I cannot 'stand over' any production 'cross bike I have seen, unless it has a sloping TT (bad for shouldering, esp. in small frames). I don't have a lot of seatpost showing, which looks a little odd next to most gangly racer's bikes, but I have had no probs with the tight TT clearance while racing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am about the same size and I bought a 50 cm Xbow. It is a smaller size than my road bike, but CX is a different animal than riding on the road. You may want a more upright position on a CX bike. I would go with the 50 CM and you can always get a longer stem. I think you may get away with not being able to stand over a road bike, but you may be happy to be able to stand over a cross bike. It will depend on what you plan to do with this bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Ridleys size out CRAZY BIG. I'm 6'1" and ride a 54cm Ridley cross bike. Go to a race and seek out guys Ridleys. The majority of them are all riding frames that are too big. Look for the slammed posts and short stems.

If you're 5'8", go with the smaller of the two choices. It's easier to make a small bike ride big than vice versa.

I just built a 50cm for a client that's 5'7" and VERY long legged. It fits her perfectly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

hummmm?

So I was ready to ice my balls and go with the 52, but the last two posts having me thinking again. I guess I need to do some more measuring, don't really have the opportunity to seek another 52 or 50 Ridley. Friend has a 56 and rides a 56 road bike but the geometry changes with the larger sizes. I have a mountain bike that's a little too small and have toe over lap and all, so worried about the small cockpit. I am going to use it for some commuting as well as a little racing and riding fire roads and fields. I did sit on a Redline 52 and a Cannondale 54.. the 52 looked small but sitting on it felt good. The Cannondale was too big. Going back to the tape measure.

veldrijder
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    Ridleys size out CRAZY BIG. I'm 6'1" and ride a 54cm Ridley cross bike.
    This makes no sense. I'm 5'11" and can easily ride a 58 X-Fire with lots of seatpost and a 110mm stem (my large Blue Norcross has almost identical geometry).

Ridleys do not size big, they size like cross bikes. If you don't like level top tubes and race oriented geometry, buy a hybrid.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    jmote I am 5'11" and I am on a 54 too,

a 58 would be way too large. even a road 58 is big for me.
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

veldrijder
    Nov 2007

Wink

What is your saddle height BB to top? Mine is 800 mm, 175 mm cranks.

Not the greatest photo, but see below for me on my Norcross, 58 top tube (I'm in white and green). The only difference in geometry between that bike and a 58 X-Fire is a slight slope to the top tube and 20mm shorter headtube (which I've made up for with spacers). On an X-Fire everything would be the same except 20mm less spacers for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hucken The Fard Up !
    you have long legs, that explains it. I am on the short side

I use 745mm BB to top-center of saddle ( 770 to seatbone point ), 172.5 cranks

last season I was using a 110mm 6°stem but this year switched to a 130mm 17° stem and the fit is much better.
    Last edited by Salsa_Lover; 09-12-2010 at 04:31 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Yep...on a 54 and a medium Helium.
    Seat height is 79cm and I run 175mm cranks.

The 56cm X-Fire rode like a dump truck. My Salsa LC is a 54cm w/a 55cm TT. My Jericho is a 55cm w/a 55cm TT. All run 120mm stems and Deda deep bars. Thomson layback posts all around as well.

A 58cm Ridley cx would be waaay too big...

Here's the Salsa...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I ride a 54 on the road and a 52 X-Fire for CX. I'm 5-8' with a 31 inseam. 110 stem. Fits great.

that ain't chamois cream
    Ridley sizing is goofy. Consider going down even two sizes. I ride a Medium Excalibur as my road bike (56 cm TT), but have a 52 cm Crossbow w/ a 110 stem. It fits perfectly and is very nimble.
    One Less Fixie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I'm 6'3 with long legs and ride a 56cm crossbow. Insane i know. Ridley's are basically women's fit bikes, shorter top tubes and longer seat tubes. just what i need. I LOVE how this bike fits me. I hate the feeling of trying to make a "normal" geometry with a TT thats too long for me work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I am 6'2'' with really long legs too. I am seriously considering a x-fire right now

I have a 56cm specy tricross sport right now that fits alright. I have never ridden a ridley, so I wouldnt know how they fit and there isn't a dealer in MI to try one...

Any suggestions?

Frites en Mayo Velo Club
    Read this goofy article over at VN....if you want to be more confused

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...ike-fit_136539

Best bet, go to the races and find someone with a Ridley like someone else stated
    blog.fritesenmayo.com
    The time has come...HUP HUP HUP

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Ridley bases their bike sizes on seat-tube center-to-center, while most other companies base them on center-to-top.

Is that so difficult to understand? Just look at their geometry charts FFS.

They even give sizing recommendations, if a geometry chart is too difficult to understand.
    http://data.ridley-bikes.com/sizes/sizes2011-en.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I recently bought an X-Fire. I ride a 56cm C'dale on the road and had a 55cm Bianchi CX. I assumed a 54cm X-Fire would be right, based on the sizing charts, It probably would have been okay but, when I sat on the 52cm, it seemed to fit better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast