So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

My 2005 Giant TCX

This is my baby. I built it up in late September. It is a dream to ride!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by unlsax; 11-24-2004 at 04:16 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Empella!

Okay, I am pretty excited about this bike!

I like the handling and lightness very much. And the tires (tufo tubular clinchers)!

cya

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-empella1.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-empella2.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-empella3.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    deteled
    Last edited by Tak962; 04-05-2015 at 05:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarp
    Okay, I am pretty excited about this bike!

I like the handling and lightness very much. And the tires (tufo tubular clinchers)!

cya

Rick
    What Tufos are those? They look like Prestige but in blue. I've never seen them in anything but red.

RoadBikeReview Member

answers

Thanks, Tak962.

The "Empella" size is 59 but the seat tube is 55 ctc and the top tube is 56 ctc (at least that's what the spec. listed; I have not measured it).

The Tufos are elite 30's.

I purchased the frame/fork and tires from cyclocrossworld.com

Rick

RoadBikeReview Member

Your specs?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarp
    Thanks, Tak962.

The "Empella" size is 59 but the seat tube is 55 ctc and the top tube is 56 ctc (at least that's what the spec. listed; I have not measured it).

The Tufos are elite 30's.

I purchased the frame/fork and tires from cyclocrossworld.com

Rick

How tall are you, your inseam etc. I had a 58 that was too small and sold it, but was thinking of going to the 59 later. How much does it weigh?
    Get this thing off my head!!!!!
    www.augustacrosscoalition.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member

fit / weight

I'm 5 ft. 11 inches. Inseam about 34 inches (87cm).

It weights 19 lbs. as shown in the pics. (pedals included)

If I could ride up to the level of the bike, I would be golden.

later!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Just finished building my first CX bike and took it for a ride tonight:

It's a crappy pic but the sun had just set and I didn't want to take a picture of it in my garage.

More pics here: https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/XR800

I took it for a nice little singletrack / asphalt loop. There was some steep stuff so I tried dismounts, throwing it over my shoulder, running, remounts. Wow, that is going to take some practice. I am running gears that mimic what I see other people running: 39-48 front, 13-26 rear. Tires are 700x35c Maxxis Locust CX clinchers that I was running at about 52psi. Man, I was stuck in the 39, mostly on the easiest four cogs in the back! I am not slow on the road, I ride a lot. I don't see how and if I'll ever use that 48. Maybe I should go with a lower small ring? More PSI? I will build some sew-ups and run those for races. I am eager to try some.

The brakes were not spectacular at all. In fact I wonder if the Campagnolo dual-pivots on my road bike stop better. They are SRP Mr. Grumpy calipers with Ritchey pads. I got them on ebay. I wonder if my straddle cable angles are right? What do you think?

The Cannondale is a 58cm '99 XR800 with Kinesis 1" Al fork. I normally ride a 60cm, and I kinda wonder if I shouldn't have gotten a 60cm frame. A run down of the parts:

headset: cane creek
    bars: modolo x-tenos 44cm
    stem: ritchey comp 130mm
    saddle: selle san marco concor light
    pedals: time atac carbon/steel
    brakes: srp mr. grumpy w/ ritchey pads
    derailleurs: campagnolo centaur 10spd
    cranks: cannondale coda 175mm 39t/48t
    cassette: campagnolo veloce 13-26 10spd
    chain: ird
    shifters/levers: campagnolo centaur 10spd
    wheels: campagnolo centaur, 32-hole, cxp-33 rims, 3x 14-15-14 spokes, brass nipples (beater training wheels)
    tires/tubes: maxxis 700x35c Locust CX clincher / Ritchey 700c 35-40c

It's a pretty budget bike. I am looking forward to riding it more and racing. I may race San Mateo on Sunday in the men's Cs.

Morgan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

My Axis

Quote Originally Posted by Kram59
    I keep hearing of all these cross bikes here, but, sadly, few pics. Show us what you've got!
    I'll post my POS later......
    Just got her a couple of weeks ago. Put on some 28's, shortened the stem and threw on a bottle of Chianti. Great ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-bianchichianti.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unlsax
    This is my baby. I built it up in late September. It is a dream to ride!!!
    Are you racing that thing with a DA10 53/39 crank? I don't know if you've seen Kabush's setup - DA9 w/ Zipp Pave rims. Yours has a bit more money invested in the gruppo.

RoadBikeReview Member

My new ALAN

Here's my new ALAN X-40, just in time for the last race in Ga., but the whole NC winter series! My other ALAN Ultral is on Ebay by the way! Super bike and just as the aluminum, super solid!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-img_4789.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    here's my ride. just installed the spengle 3spoke carbon wheels, which is a true sin for me weight-weenie. but they look so cool and make for a very comfortable and also fast ride once the wheel got going....

for int. races i still use my american classic wheelset though. it's about 1200g lighter!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-seite-8-12-04-klein.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    deteled
    Last edited by Tak962; 04-05-2015 at 05:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak962
    What kind of chain guide is that? Where did you get that? Can you take a close up pic?

it's a modified DMR chainguide for dirt bikes and dual bikes

after building several chainguide devices that have never worked properly (most of our local CX races here are rather rough, more like MTB races, with fast descends and roots all over the place. most guys even compete with their MTBs) i decided to get this DMR guide, replaced the steel back plate with one made from 3mm alloy, and it's great no more chains dropping off.

will post a pic as soon as i'm back home

RoadBikeReview Member

My new ALAN

My new ALAN X40.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-img_4789.jpg  

the other white meat

Yet another Surly

Sold my LeMond frame and built up this schweet Surly. Took 'er out on a nice 40 miler today of pavement and dirt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dsc00021.jpg  
    your signature here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Manitou HT singlespeed

Here's my frankencrosser... I had an old Manitou HT frame, and a wheelset with an eccentric eno from my road fixie. Found an old Onza HOLA v brake for the rear, canti for the front, slapped on a cross fork and some Nitto dirt drops and... voila! I think it turned out pretty cool. I'll probably have to change the freewheel to an 18 from a 16 for serious climbing.
    -Sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-manitou-side.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-manitou-front-copy.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    My latest ebay impulse buy. I've always wanted a Steelman but it was in rougher condition that I would have liked (some surface rust, frozen stem, etc.) but it's cleaning up nicely. I't came with 8 spd Chorus and I'll keep all the parts but will ditch the Dirtdrops (doesn't work well with Ergo for me).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-steelman.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JTS628
    My latest ebay impulse buy. I've always wanted a Steelman but it was in rougher condition that I would have liked (some surface rust, frozen stem, etc.) but it's cleaning up nicely. I't came with 8 spd Chorus and I'll keep all the parts but will ditch the Dirtdrops (doesn't work well with Ergo for me).
    Whoa!! I remember that frame. One of the bike magazines, Mountain Bike I believe, wrote a big article on cross, and that frame was what the author built up to go race. He wrote all about it: it had that stem and those handlebars, and the Campy stuff, and I think he said he tried it built up with a cross-specific RockShox suspension fork too. The article was my first introduction to cyclocross.

Alex

Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by noavg55
    Sh** Wrong Pic
    Is that one of those NYC Bikes cross/commuter frames?

If so, what size is that?
    You can call me "MTP" if my full screen name grosses you out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

SOMA Double Cross

Steel frame/fork
    MA2 Rims/105 hubs
    Dura Ace brifters
    Deore XT Rear der, 105 front
    Salsa bars
    XT canti's
    WTB saddle

oh, and about 10 lbs of Portland mud...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-alp-bike-sm.jpg  

semi-evolved simian

SS/Fixie Crosscheck

Here she is in winter commuting mode:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-crosscheck-014.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-crosscheck-012.jpg  

Hill repeats, meh

A red Redline

I keep hearing of all these cross bikes here, but, sadly, few pics. Show us what you've got!
    I picked up the frame a few weeks ago and recently finished the build with mostly old parts and a few new ones. I use it for a winter road bike/commuter.

NOS 1997 Redline cross frame
    2000/2001 105/Ultegra stuff
    Chris King headset
    Empella Frogglegs cantis
    Hugi 240 hubs w/CXP 33 rims
    Ritchey Pro stem and WCS Speedmax tires
    Salsa bars and skewers
    Selle Italia saddle
    Planet Bike fenders
    Time ATAC pedals
    Thomson post (not in photo)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-cats-red-look-013.jpg  
    Last edited by Major Kong; 01-15-2005 at 08:53 PM. Reason: forgot pedals
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room." -- President Merkin Muffley (Peter Sellers) in Dr. Strangelove

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    So, any more ti cross bikes out there that haven't been shown off yet. Come on, don't be ashamed...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003

Here Goes....

Never had any luck posting photos here (ha! not that luck's got anything to do with it!). Just downloaded some new photo editing software so now I can finally resize my pictures to within the uploadable size limits here......

Anyway, this is an Cannondale 'Cross I picked up last year for a few hundred bucks. Was in pretty decent shape when I got it, but I stripped it down and refinished it. Looked like a brand new bike when it was done. I've got some very nice bikes but this is one of my absolute favorites. Just feels good....

Here's a couple pics from today's ride. Temps in the teens. A bit chilly! But had a good ride. Nice sunset too.

I hope these pics actually did upload.... Here goes....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-109_0988-2-.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-109_0986-2-.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    My winter bike!

and the same bike in the summer ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ik hou van Ridley...

That's a damn nice bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    hope this works!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-pc080059.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Diamant

Well here is a picture of my trusty all steal cross bike that I bought at Micheal Barry Sr. shop (father of Micheal Barry of the Discovery Channel Team). Its about 8-10years old and has served me very well over the years. It ,as you can see, has all sorts of odds and ends for componentry but all are in good working order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-im000750.jpg  
    SixaCross

Tell them I hate them

Hey, how'd you do that?

[QUOTE=racerx]Ok, look closely and you will see it started off its life as a hardtail Mtn Hiwassee. With a little work and tons of fun, I built my favorite bike I have in my stable.

-Litespeed Hiwassee (I call it the undefinedundefinedMutant.undefined

-Stem 3T Mutant 100
    -Bars Coda spec 44's
    -Shifting Ultegra
    -Braking Avid's V-Brakes with an adapter to provide sufficient pull from road levers to v-brakes. Tricky to set up, but stops on a dime.

Could you pass on how you got the v-brakes to work with the drop bars? That would be a big help!
    "Do I know what rhetorical means?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

My Cannondale Contribution...

I just picked it up 2 days ago. Thanks to my work schedule I was able to take it out for a ride tonight, just before sunset. Stock 2005 Cannondale Cyclocross, 54cm. Look pedals are temporary for now. I will have to wait a few weeks for some 959's and SPD shoes. But right now both my 'cross bike and my road bike have the same pedal setup.

-Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dsc00894-medium-.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dsc00895-medium-.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dsc00896-medium-.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dsc00897-medium-.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dsc00898-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Kenright; 02-10-2005 at 06:03 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My first cross bike.
    C-dale 2005 in 52 cm
    Ultegra Group with Specialties TA rings, Empenella Brakes, Salsa levers, PD-959's
    only bad part are the wheels, but they work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dscn0195.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dscn0197.jpg  

Cubicle Fugitive
    Double Cross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dc01.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dc02.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dc03.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PerM
    My winter bike!
    PerM (or anyone): I like your fender setup- what kind of bolt-on fender mounts are you using? Does that Ridley have regular fender mounts at the seat stay and chain stay bridges? Thanks.

Commuter
    Nice IRD.

Too bad they dropped the CX frame from their 05 line up. I was planning on getting one later this year.
    You can call me "MTP" if my full screen name grosses you out.

RoadBikeReview Member

Hey CZAR..

Quote Originally Posted by czardonic
    Double Cross
    ...what kind of thumbie mounts are those?? They're very cool!

Cubicle Fugitive
    They are Kelly Take-Offs: http://www.kellybike.com/2nd_xtra_takeoff.html Kind of an aquired taste, but they work great for me.

RoadBikeReview Member

Redline Conquest

Redline Conquest Cyclocross Bicycle

Frame: Redline Conquest 49cm
    Fork: Alpha Q Carbon Cross
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Bottom Bracket: FSA Platinum
    Crankset: FSA Energy Aluminum 172.5mm
    Chainrings: TA 42T SINGLE RING
    Chainguard: Cyclocrossworld Wetzikon, Deda Fang Dog
    Rear Derailleur: Campy Veloce 10
    Chain: Campy Record C10
    Stem: Ritchey WCS 120mm, +/-6 degree
    Bar: Ritchey WCS Road Classic 43cm (center to center)
    Bar Tape: Easton
    Shifters: Campy Record Carbon Ergo 10
    Brakes: Paul Neo Retro
    Brake Hanger: IRD Long Cable
    Seatpost: Ritchey WCS
    Saddle: Selle San Marco Era Ti
    Wheels: Mavic Ksyrium Elite
    Cassette: Campy Centaur 13-26T
    Pedals: Time ATAC
    Tires: Nokian Ravagozzi Cross S 700 x 30
    Tubes: Performance Butyl presta
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-126-2606b_img.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member

I think I just saw this bike on Ebay...

Why are you selling it? I'm thinking about bidding.

wil
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Here's mine

Here's my 2004 Kona Jake....

Is not a clown car

New year? time for a new bike!

Just finished up my Kelly CX. Its mostly set up w/Campy Daytona, with XTR cranks and Seatpin, Spooky brakes, and Mavic/Sachs front hub(depends onthe wheelset) Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but the virgin ride will be this weekend down in illnoise. Sitting on it and pedalling up and down the street makes it seem to fit really well. Can't wait to get miles on it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dsc03106.jpg   So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-dsc03098.jpg  

kam
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

my ss cx....

steelman eurocross circa '98
    xacd/spicer ti fork
    campy record brake levers
    avid shorty 4 cantis (they suck!!!)
    generic front/eno eccentric rear hubs laced to aeroheads
    kenda kwik 35c tires
    bellap bars, airborne ti post, ritchey stem
    44/22 ss or 44/16 fixed for the road!!!

lotsa sweet bikes in this thread!!!

Get me to In&Out
    Here is the Kona all finished up. I can't believe how hard it is to get the decals to show up. I photo shopped the pictures to death and they still look yellow. In reality the tires, decals, and bar tape are all pretty close to the same color with the decals being a little more yellowish. Here is a parts list:
    2002 Kona Jake the Snake with Easton Ultralite tubing
    Nashbar Carbon fork
    Ultegra shifters and rear derailleur
    105 Front derailleur
    Nashbar compact cranks 50/34
    Woodman carbon seatpost
    3T Zepp stem and bars
    SLR XP saddle
    Avid shorty 4 with Jagwire extreme pads
    Mavic Cosmos wheels with Michelin Sprint tires
    USE ring-o-star headset tensioner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-kona1.jpg  
    Last edited by spookyload; 02-28-2005 at 10:00 PM.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Get me to In&Out
    Picture 2 couldn't get the light right outside either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-kona2.jpg  

Get me to In&Out
    Jake the Snake from the front end. The IRD long drop canti boss is worth every penny I spent from cyclocrossworld. The brakes are so much smoother without the tight bend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-kona3.jpg  

Get me to In&Out
    Here is a closeup of some killer pads. I skipped getting the Shorty 6 pads because I had a set of these Jagwire Extreme pads with holders laying around. Plus I liked the looks of the black better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-kona4.jpg  
    Last edited by spookyload; 02-28-2005 at 09:54 PM. Reason: picture added

Titles=Badges. Badges..!?
    Deleted post.
    Last edited by RandyA; 12-05-2006 at 09:15 AM. Reason: deleted post
    Randy

"What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can." - Henry David Thoreau

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Here's mine

This was my first mountain bike. After about a year it went SS, then rigid. Now it's my crosser. After this weekend its going on commuter duty. Maybe I should think about getting another bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-marlin.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclochip
    Here's my Surly Cross Check. It's pretty much stock, with a few improvements.

I've added 105 / MA3 wheels, Tektro top-mount levers, a Specialized BG saddle, a Salsa Moto-Ace stem, a Schwinn computer ($9.82 at Wal-Mart - 12 functions!) and Ritchey V3 Comp pedals. The tires on there now are Serfas Vida City tires, which are pretty decent on the smoother trails here in the DFW area.
    I've just ordered another set of wheels so I can finally have a dedicated on and off-road set and not have to worry about switching tires ever again.

Note that it's a 42cm frame. Yep, I've got short legs and and a regular torso. When I straddle the frame, I rest on the top tube, even with the frame as small as it is. Perhaps I'm not made for 700c bikes. Ah well. Sooner or later, I'll get a custom frame built.

The second picture... How do you guys like my fit? Nah, that's my total opposite (read - a TALL guy) goofing off on my bike.
    I'm surprising my 4'10" wife with a 42cm Cross Check like yours. What crank did you use including size? Is it a cross crank?

50ft. Queenie

-05 redline

sorry, camphone quality.
    ultegra crank, shifters, derailers, etc.... eggbeaters....chris king....thompson post....ksyrium elites....deda stem/bars...frogleggs

almost done, just needs a cassette & chain (and pump up the tires!!!)

first bike built up "from scratch"....lots of fun...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, everyone. Let's see your 'crossers!-image-291-.jpg  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast