Spend my money: Scott Addict CX or new Stigmata frame and carbon tubulars?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Spend my money: Scott Addict CX or new Stigmata frame and carbon tubulars?

I'm trying to decide where to spend my money for next season.

Choice one is a Scott Addict CX complete bike, 17 or so pounds w/ ultegra components and ksyrium clincher wheelset.

Choice two is to upgrade my frame to a Stigmata, get a new crank set and buy new deep dish carbon tubular wheels. I currently have an 07 JtS w/ 105 drivetrain and upgraded fsa stem, bars, seatpost, etc. and ec70x tubular wheels.

My goal is to start finishing in the top 5 of our local A races next season, last year I was consistently top 10. Which would make me faster? (I'm also trying to improve though training as well...)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Just my .02 cents..

Okay, I'm gonna lay it out to you like this.. I've been riding for 22 years, racing most of that time.. Training helps so much more than all that crap combined.. I'd say upgrade the JTS to DA, forget the wheels, stay with what you got or get a back up set of like DT240 hubs on Reflex rims.. I guarantee you, like totally guarantee you, you take two bikes, with different wheels and you'll do the same.. As a matter of fact, I would think (I'm no engineer) that those deep dish wheels take more effort to get going than the wheelset I'm talking about just due to rim wt.. Call me crazy, but that's just been my experience.. I'm 38, ride a cannondale cross frame with Easton fork, DA and DA hubs on Reflex rims.. You could get more wheelsets for different surfaces and save that dough for a coach or something that will help you with your training.. I've ridden some of the best stuff out there and I do just as well with my "simple" set up as with the "bling" set up... All I did was blow a lot of cash thinking I was going to get better..

(If you ride a lot in deep mud then I can see the need maybe for the wheels, but other than that...)
    Get this thing off my head!!!!!
    www.augustacrosscoalition.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosovich
    Okay, I'm gonna lay it out to you like this.. I've been riding for 22 years, racing most of that time.. Training helps so much more than all that crap combined.. I'd say upgrade the JTS to DA, forget the wheels, stay with what you got or get a back up set of like DT240 hubs on Reflex rims.. I guarantee you, like totally guarantee you, you take two bikes, with different wheels and you'll do the same.. As a matter of fact, I would think (I'm no engineer) that those deep dish wheels take more effort to get going than the wheelset I'm talking about just due to rim wt.. Call me crazy, but that's just been my experience.. I'm 38, ride a cannondale cross frame with Easton fork, DA and DA hubs on Reflex rims.. You could get more wheelsets for different surfaces and save that dough for a coach or something that will help you with your training.. I've ridden some of the best stuff out there and I do just as well with my "simple" set up as with the "bling" set up... All I did was blow a lot of cash thinking I was going to get better..

(If you ride a lot in deep mud then I can see the need maybe for the wheels, but other than that...)
    Mosovich pretty much covered everything. Well said, I agree.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    i wouldnt recommend buying anything named "stigmata."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

love mine

really happy with both my stigmatas - low bb turns and handles awesome - light too -

Not Banned

training helps alot

and I agree it is #1
    to me #2 was a pit bike, many races I still finished top 10 because I had a back up when a mechanical happened. Because of that I was on the podium at seasons end. Had those races been DNFs I would most likely have not accumulated any points, thus finished lower overall. In one race, I was in the lead group out of the gates. Flatted while leading the race, lost about 7-8 places riding the flat back to the pit, switched bikes and battled back to 5th.
    to me 2 cheaper bikes is eleventy times better than one blingy
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the advice. I'm working on the training part, racing road and mountain this time of year, hopefully transitioning to cross specific stuff in August. Seems a second tubular wheelset would be the first priority, but a blingy deep dish set may not be necessary. Both options will give me a second cross bike, so I've got that covered.

Does anyone feel that a powermeter significantly improves their training? I'm pretty disciplined with my training and I've always thought it a little unnecessary. Recently a few friends have started training with powermeters and those that were faster than me before their powermeters are still faster and those that were slower are still slower. I haven't bought into it yet. Anyone found otherwise?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    i love my stigmata and basic tubulars and that i can bang the hell out of them without any fear. i would put your time into training and your money into a bike fitting or coach/training program or just more race fees as part of your training. i did the same course on three different bikes last year and didn't notice any difference in performance (although i had the most fun on the stigmata, but that is mental). i've never used a backup bike but can see why that would be beneficial for long-term series standings.
    if you do go with the fancy new carbon wheels try for some of the new wider width rims-- that seems to make a lot of sense for cross.