SRAM road/cross hydro brakes announced 4 days ago
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    943

    SRAM road/cross hydro brakes announced 4 days ago

    and I'm the first to post about it. Kinda surprising. I would have thought we'd have seen a discussion in here already.
    SRAM launches 11-speed road, hydraulic disc and rim brakes | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    84
    Those groupsets look SICK. I would love to have one.

    The hydraulic rim brakes are looking like a really cool option. Does anybody else actually make something like that?
    Disregard women.
    Acquire bicycles.

  3. #3
    done
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by bylerj1 View Post
    Does anybody else actually make something like that?
    Magura has had hyldraulic rim brakes out for a year or so. Marketed for time trial use, though I think they also have a steer tube-mounted cable-to-hydraulic converter for regular road bikes.

    I like what SRAM has been doing. The Red/XX1 equipped Giant looks pretty slick. Will be even more excited when these features start trickling down to Force or Rival, though I'm not expecting that any time soon.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    943
    Actually, Magura has been making a hydraulic rim brake for decades. They were the drool worthy brakes to have in the early '90s for the mtb scene before disc brakes came out. The only place you still see that brake now is on trials bicycles.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: AJ88V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    453
    Better with no cables involved. Here's a cool article:
    First Ride Review: SRAM Red 22 Groupset | Cyclingnews.com

  6. #6
    I'm slow
    Reputation: tpgrole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    Actually, Magura has been making a hydraulic rim brake for decades. They were the drool worthy brakes to have in the early '90s for the mtb scene before disc brakes came out. The only place you still see that brake now is on trials bicycles.
    I still have a set of Raceline D brakes on my old MTB I built about 1996. It's currently a single speed, using an old XTR derailleur as a chain tensioner. I still think the brakes work great.

  7. #7
    FTR
    FTR is offline
    Burn baby, burn.
    Reputation: FTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by bylerj1 View Post
    Those groupsets look SICK. I would love to have one.

    The hydraulic rim brakes are looking like a really cool option. Does anybody else actually make something like that?
    Can someone please explain what additional benefit a hydro rim brake brings over cable? I really cannot work it out.
    And as others have noted Magura and others have had this option for years but they have pretty much gone the way of the dodo.

  8. #8
    A Story of Love
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    35,207
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    and I'm the first to post about it.
    In the CX forum, yeah. But we've talking about it in Components/Wrenching for a week now.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

    Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

    Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.


  9. #9
    A Story of Love
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    35,207
    Quote Originally Posted by FTR View Post
    Can someone please explain what additional benefit a hydro rim brake brings over cable? I really cannot work it out.
    Modulation. Less hand pressure needed. They can charge more $$$ for it.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

    Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

    Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.


  10. #10
    FTR
    FTR is offline
    Burn baby, burn.
    Reputation: FTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Modulation. Less hand pressure needed. They can charge more $$$ for it.
    I will grant you option 3.
    The rest = hype.
    How much less hand pressure than 1 finger braking do you need?
    Mind control??
    Last edited by FTR; 04-19-2013 at 11:18 PM.

  11. #11
    A Story of Love
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    35,207
    Quote Originally Posted by FTR View Post
    I will grant you option 3.
    The rest = hype.
    How much less hand pressure than 1 finger breaking do you need?
    Mind control??
    My braking isn't 1 finger. But I am heavier than most. And some of the descents are fairly long and steep around here. So I think it's more a case of YMMV.

    That said, I still don't feel the burning need to run out and buy anything hydro or road disc. It's interesting stuff, but nothing vital (for me).

    But we're gonna keep hearing about it, because the industry is going to push it hard, unless or until most riders reject it.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

    Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

    Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.


  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by FTR View Post
    I will grant you option 3.
    The rest = hype.
    How much less hand pressure than 1 finger braking do you need?
    Mind control??
    Have you ridden an mtb with decent hydro discs? In my experience it's really nice compared to cable actuated rim brakes and the first 2 are not just hype. Maybe I notice it more because I'm still running traditional rim brakes on my mtb and when I swap out rides with my buddies, the brakes are what I notice most (been doing that a lot lately since I'm finally gonna get a new mtb to replace my 10 year old C-dale Jekyll).
    Last edited by CBus660R; 04-20-2013 at 05:00 AM.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    They can charge more $$$ for it.
    Is it really that much more than some of the traditional rim brake options from TRP, etc...? I know the mech disc stuff is fairly cheap compared to what SRAM has announced for their hydro stuff, but I don't see the mech disc being a viable comparison, it was mostly a stop gap measure by people who wanted disc on the road/cross bike now and didn't want to wait for the hydro systems to arrive.

  14. #14
    FTR
    FTR is offline
    Burn baby, burn.
    Reputation: FTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    Have you ridden an mtb with decent hydro discs? In my experience it's really nice compared to cable actuated rim brakes and the first 2 are not just hype. Maybe I notice it more because I'm still running traditional rim brakes on my mtb and when I swap out rides with my buddies, the brakes are what I notice most (been doing that a lot lately since I'm finally gonna get a new mtb to replace my 10 year old C-dale Jekyll).
    Yep, I have.
    But we are not talking about discs here, we are talking about why hydro RIM brakes.

  15. #15
    A Story of Love
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    35,207
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    Is it really that much more than some of the traditional rim brake options from TRP, etc...?
    TRP is a boutique brake manufacturer. SRAM isn't.

    But they'd like to charge those kind of prices, sure. Why not?
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

    Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

    Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.


  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by FTR View Post
    Yep, I have.
    But we are not talking about discs here, we are talking about why hydro RIM brakes.
    Well, I thought we were discussing hydro in general, not just hydro rim brakes.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    TRP is a boutique brake manufacturer. SRAM isn't.

    But they'd like to charge those kind of prices, sure. Why not?
    I was just using TRP as a reference point. For the same price, you get boutique cable operated rim brakes or hydro disc brakes from a Tier 1 supplier. If you're happy with price point rim brakes (105, Rival, or similar), then either option won't appeal to you. If you want to jump on the disc bandwagon for road/CX, then SRAM is the first to offer a hydro option that is similar to what people have paid for boutique cable brakes.

  18. #18
    A Story of Love
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    35,207
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    I was just using TRP as a reference point. For the same price, you get boutique cable operated rim brakes or hydro disc brakes from a Tier 1 supplier. If you're happy with price point rim brakes (105, Rival, or similar), then either option won't appeal to you. If you want to jump on the disc bandwagon for road/CX, then SRAM is the first to offer a hydro option that is similar to what people have paid for boutique cable brakes.
    I think we see SRAM's strategy similarly.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

    Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

    Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.


  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I think we see SRAM's strategy similarly.
    I think so. It'll be interesting to see how Shimano responds and what SRAM offers next year.

  20. #20
    flinty-eyed moderator
    Reputation: Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,890
    The most interesting thing is the mix and match option- put a disc fork and wheel up front for the hydro disc front and use a hydro rim rear = easy retro fit for old cool custom frames. On some of the classic epic gravel race/rides I have done out here, brakes have been a major limiter for me- even with a mini-v front I never seem to have enough power or leverage for the 15% long descents- especially on bumpy dirt roads. I am closely watching this group. The one concern is that the brakes are crap like the last crop of avid hydros
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

  21. #21
    FTR
    FTR is offline
    Burn baby, burn.
    Reputation: FTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,497
    Wrong thread.

Similar Threads

  1. First Pro on Hydro Disc brakes?
    By Kuna in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM
  2. Road caliper brakes for cross?
    By 1nf0s3c in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM
  3. Road brakes that can accomadate 'cross tires
    By SamDC in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 05:25 PM
  4. Best Brakes for Cross and Road
    By rallyrabbit in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 06:03 PM
  5. Converting Cross Bike to Road Brakes
    By ebnash in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.