stupid question re handlebar: lareger size? smae size?
    blame me for missed rides

Question stupid question re handlebar: lareger size? smae size?

here's a stupid question: on a cross bike should i get a handlebar one size bigger than my road bar or the same size? seems like a larger size would help steering in the rough. thanks.

jhr
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

bar size

I think most people either go one size larger or use the same size bars on their cross bike. I don't know anyone who says go smaller.

jhr

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I dont subscribe to the theory that wider bars assist with steering control in CX, I try to emulate my road position as much as possible since I like most ride the road bike more often. Do find one with a flat top section, modern bars with a steep drop are not comfortable for cross, since most tricky sections are covered with your hands on the tops. (I refer to racing here, if you mainly commute/ride CX for fun 1 size wider will give you even more room on the tops.

Not Banned
    Wider also opens lungs up for easier breathing which is also very welcome in cx racing. The aerodynamic loss isn't much of a factor. Wider bars also tend to make the bike a tad more stable as you have a longer swing ratio, I run wide bars on both as my shoulders are quite wide so my bars are usually 46 C_C on my roadies and 48 on my crossers. I'm quite happy with the set up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    Wider also opens lungs up for easier breathing which is also very welcome in cx racing.
    Cant argue with the theory on this one, but I ride just as hard in crits etc so I dont think its really an issue, besides you spend plenty of time off the bike.

[/QUOTE]The aerodynamic loss isn't much of a factor.[/QUOTE]
    Not an issue at all, you are lucky to travel @ 15mph average.

[/QUOTE] Wider bars also tend to make the bike a tad more stable as you have a longer swing ratio.[/QUOTE]
    Again cant argue the theory on this but I recently switched from 58cm wide bars to 52cm on my full sus MTB and cannot notice ANY difference at all and I tried!

I really think its wise to stick to what you know and trust on the road and replicate on your CX bike. Many times I hear people changing crank lengths and stems etc just because they now own a cross rig. You will be pleasently surprised if you replicate just how "natural" your CX feels and works. And thats what its all about right?

Not Banned

replication

if I replicated my road stretch on a cx bike I'd kill myself on some of the technical descents out here. I think my back would also be screaming for mercy about lap 3. All good points though, you can start at that position and then modify (flip stem etc..) until you are happy. my overall diff (TT and Stem is about 1-2cm) shorter (and higher) than my roadie. This works for me and is not suggested nor a rule for all.