True Temper Alpha Q brake bosses too long?
    RoadBikeReview Member

True Temper Alpha Q brake bosses too long?

I finally stripped my brakes (XTR V-brakes with Dia-Compe 287V levers) from my SS cross bike and installed a set of Campy Record carbon brake levers and some NOS Shimano XT II (m732) brakes.

First, I'd forgotten how fun (sarcasm) cantis are to set-up....other than my V's on my 'cross bike, I've been using discs on my MTB for 6+ yrs. But, after much frustration, O *think* I finally got them installed right....the first ride will be the true test.

Second, I noticed that on the front (the rear is fine), there is some play in the right/left brake on the Alpha Q cross fork brake bosses. Not much, but enough that it *might* cause a problem with vibrations, etc. In comparing the front and rear bosses, there is about a 1mm difference.

I managed to find a set of old Magura washers which have a slice removed from one edge....this allows the XT internal spring to still reach the boss hole (normal washers would block access to the 3 holes in the boss), but the washer is too thick and just allows the spring to pop-out of the boss hole. Also, when tightening-up the brake boss bolts, the too-thick washer allows the internals to be compressed such that there is too much friction and the brake does not return to it's natural position.

So, I'm off to the hardware store today to find a washer that will be thin enough (~1mm) to allow the spring to stay in the boss hole and allow full and unrestricted tightening of the brake boss bolts without squishing the internals.

Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues?

Ride Hard,
    Mike B.
    http://www.one-speed.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

no problem here

I use Pauls brakes,tho.

Dan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I am not too familiar with XT cantis' but some are front/rear specific as bosses on the front are usually longer than the rear (more strenght required??)

I know its a pain in the ass but try switching the brakes around, usually cures the problem.

Feb 2003
    I ran old school xtr canties with my alpha last year and had the same problem. I very carefully filled the posts down just by a mill and a half or so, chased the threads and was off too the races. If you don't like the idea of filling your $600 fork try alloy chainring spacers the come in all shapes and sizes.

good luck

Cogsi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cogsi
    I ran old school xtr canties with my alpha last year and had the same problem. I very carefully filled the posts down just by a mill and a half or so, chased the threads and was off too the races. If you don't like the idea of filling your $600 fork try alloy chainring spacers the come in all shapes and sizes.

good luck

Cogsi
    Thanks...I'll give the chainring spacers a shot tonight.

Ride Hard,
    Mike B.
    http://www.one-speed.com