What about Vanilla?
    More Cowbell!

What about Vanilla?

So I have this quandry. A guy is selling his Vanilla 'cross bike and it's a perfect fit for me. Its got a painted matching Alpha Q and the original steel fork. It has a painted matching stem. Its a Vanilla!

Of course, if I bought it, I'd have to figure out what to do with my other two cross bikes. I have a "pit bike" Redline that I use to commute with and a nice Merckx Alu-cross with a Wound-Up fork that is my main race ride. I think I'd have to sell the Merckx (frame and fork) since I'd never ride it. I certainly have to keep my commuter.

I really like my Merckx but I've lusted after a Vanilla for a couple of years now. And here is this one with NO wait -- Sacha is running over a year wait list now.

What would you do?
    Pro rep, yo!

Done with winter.
    I'd buy the Vanilla and put it on my wall, but that's me. Do you have a chance to ride it? I'd say test ride it and see if it's really an improvement over your Merckx.

I'd hate to race a Vanilla and crash it or something but if it feels better in a race situation, I'd get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Buy the vanilla

You have to buy the vanilla. I would race it, I know a person who races a vanilla single speed cross bike and loves it. Sacha makes these bikes to be riden so I would go for it. If I could I would keep the Meryx as well as a pit bike and use the redline only as a commutter.

If you don't get the vanilla and its about a 52cm message me, I'd be interested in a vanilla cross rig if you want to put me in touch.

-Scott B

RoadBikeReview Member

Vanilla!!!

I love his bikes. It's at the top of my dream builds. Is it lugged? That would be seal the deal for sure if it was me...

Dec 2002
    I would pass it up, and offer it to my buddy cycloscott instead.

Are you nuts?! Buy it.

But if you do decide to pass, what size is it?

I am not aero

Works of art!

His bikes are works of art on wheels. If I could afford it, I would buy it even if it wasn't my size just so I could look at it!

bak

Quote Originally Posted by Gripped
    So I have this quandry. A guy is selling his Vanilla 'cross bike and it's a perfect fit for me. Its got a painted matching Alpha Q and the original steel fork. It has a painted matching stem. Its a Vanilla!

Of course, if I bought it, I'd have to figure out what to do with my other two cross bikes. I have a "pit bike" Redline that I use to commute with and a nice Merckx Alu-cross with a Wound-Up fork that is my main race ride. I think I'd have to sell the Merckx (frame and fork) since I'd never ride it. I certainly have to keep my commuter.

I really like my Merckx but I've lusted after a Vanilla for a couple of years now. And here is this one with NO wait -- Sacha is running over a year wait list now.

What would you do?

Not Banned

inquiring minds wanna know

if ya ain't buying hook a feller up! anyhow hmmmm personally swanky euro Al race rig and boutique US steel is a mighty fine pairing. BUY DAMMIT unless it's MY SIZE.

More Cowbell!

More info ...

Pictures here: http://www.vanillabicycles.com/bikes...e_a/index.html

Its 54cm st, 54.5 tt. Just what I would want. Originally the bike was as pictured. Last year, the owner got Sacha to add canti posts and had an Alpha Q painted to match. He's willing to sell in a couple of different configurations ... The full bike comes with Campy Chorus, FSA K-Force compact crank & integrated bb, Am Classic micro disc hubs to Velocity Aerohead rims, Paul cantis AND Avid mech discs.

I'm going to set up a time to go ride it. Yes, I do want it ... perhaps irrationally. This would be my 40th birthday present. However, I was also considering getting a tandem so as to be able to get the missus out -- which would mean more riding for me.

Oh yeah, and a couple of pics from Mt. St. Helens from work (yesterday evening)...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pro rep, yo!

Commuter

You HAVE to buy that bike. I have been looking at that bike over and over again since Sacha posted it on his site. Sell the Redline. Sell the Merckx . Buy a cheap commuter of eBay like a $100 hybrid. Maybe sell your first born child... Just get it ;)
    You can call me "MTP" if my full screen name grosses you out.

RoadBikeReview Member

That bike!?

Why are you even talking to us?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

"rational" has nothing to do with it.

really now... the title of your post should have been "Who wants my Merckx?"

Nice shots of the mountain, by the way. I'm glad we're not seeing any ash up here in Seattle.

Not Banned

funny

at all of us drooling over these rigs. we all must be luddites as I'm sure she's quite costly
    (but she'll last a lifetime) and none of us balk at the price. then again he already has a pit bike.

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    at all of us drooling over these rigs. we all must be luddites as I'm sure she's quite costly
    (but she'll last a lifetime) and none of us balk at the price. then again he already has a pit bike.
    Yes, quite the contrast with the discussion regarding the X-Night, huh? The seler wants less than the sale price for the X-Night frameset for the complete bike with Campy Chorus and the FSA compact carbon crank.

I'm taking it for a test spin this Saturday. There is another guy interested who contacted him before I did so things are kind of up in the air. I'd really like the complete bike but financially, that might be a little difficult.
    Pro rep, yo!