What kind of studs to use?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

What kind of studs to use?

As my Sidi Dominators have threaded holes to screw in studs, I was wondering what kind of studs people use (my bike shop doesn't have them). Could use the added traction on those steep, muddy run-ups.

Was contemplating taking a couple off my rugby boots (metal studs)...or would those be too big? Is there a preferred kind?

Every little counts...
    I use rugby studs most times, but it has been raining for 3 days here...the Sidi Spikes go on before the weekend. Get them.

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunout
    I use rugby studs most times, but it has been raining for 3 days here...the Sidi Spikes go on before the weekend. Get them.
    I bought the Sidi spikes and then took about 1/3 of their length off with a Dremmel. They work great now. I've tried soccer cleats and they suck, imho. Fo the cheapskate, buy some threaded rod the right diameter and pitch and a couple bolts and make your own.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripped
    I bought the Sidi spikes and then took about 1/3 of their length off with a Dremmel. They work great now. I've tried soccer cleats and they suck, imho. Fo the cheapskate, buy some threaded rod the right diameter and pitch and a couple bolts and make your own.
    So why take any of the length off. I thought that the entire length worked fine last weekend. Why would shorter be better? I was still able to get on and off my bike fine without my spikes getting in the way.

I am not disagreeing with you, just would like to know your thinking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Soccer cleats for dry weather and Sidi spikes for wet conditions. The long sidi spikes can lead to a lot of mud buildup behind them, which can make it harder to clip into some pedals, depending on how you clip in.