Would you recommend disc brakes?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Would you recommend disc brakes?

Iím looking to build up or buy a foul weather bike.
    Iím a commuter in SE Pennsylvania.My trip covers between 20-40 mi. and I ride thru anything but ice and snow storms.( maybe studded tires but that will be a diffrent thread)
    I used to commute most days on my hardtail but after 5 years the mountain bike just isnít doing it for me anymore.
    Iím seriously considering a cross bike and was wondering if having disc brakes would be a smart move.
    What do you think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I had the Avids on my cross bike and found that they stop very well and don't require a lot of maintenence. Note that you may well need to consider only a 135 size rear spacing, as it is difficult to find 130 hubs with mounts for the rotors. I removed mine due to weight and UCI restrictions, I'd be happy to sell them to you rather than mess with ebay, --i am at [email protected] John Roden

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

disc brakes for cross

Thanks for the reply and the offer. First I have to get the bike. Still looking for the right one that I wonít have to put a lot of money into for upgrades.
    BTW what frame are you on?
    I was thinking Redline w/ the Velomax wheels.
    Frame choices seem pretty limited in my price range.
    How much harder do the discs make getting the wheels off? Iíve heard this can be a problem.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    isn't the redline the one with the 130 spacing? If so, I really have to wonder about the wisdom of owning something like that, given the near total lack of 130 disk hubs, but maybe I'm wrong about it.

In answer to your question, I think they do not make taking the wheel off a problem at all, if the weight and occasional dragging were solved, I'd road race on them, they are a great stopping brake in all weather. They are sensitive to getting grease and oil on the pads and rotors, so maybe the oil from the road and diesel might give you some problems, I don't know. My bike is the Giant with the 135 rear spacing, it is a perfectly good bike.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by xdisc
    Iím looking to build up or buy a foul weather bike.
    Iím a commuter in SE Pennsylvania.My trip covers between 20-40 mi. and I ride thru anything but ice and snow storms.( maybe studded tires but that will be a diffrent thread)
    I used to commute most days on my hardtail but after 5 years the mountain bike just isnít doing it for me anymore.
    Iím seriously considering a cross bike and was wondering if having disc brakes would be a smart move.
    What do you think?
    For your intended use, I'd go discs. For racing cross, stick with cantis.

I loved my Avid discs on my last mtn bike! Wet, dry didn't matter. Stopping was the same in any condition.

Try saying THAT with a rim brake!

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think there are still issues with disc brakes that need to be worked out. Rim brakes work fine for most applications.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames...ase/index.html