Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2829303132 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Your Cross Rigs: Post em up!

Great looking Crux.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Van Dessel Ful Tilt Boogie

Wanting to have a disc bike as my cross primary and on the recommendation of a good friend, I just built this:

2015 Van Dessel FTB
    58cm
    15mm through axle fork
    ST-685 hydro disc (Ultegra-ish)
    Wheelset - 142mm through axle
    -Light-bicycle 27mm carbon tubs, 28H
    -3x, DT Revo
    -Challenge Grifo Team Edition
    Ultegra 6800 RD
    Ultegra 11-32 cassette
    XTR 180mm, FC-M980 compact cranks
    Wheels Mfg BB30/PF30 enduro bearing adapter kit
    Raceface 42T guard
    Raceface 42T ring
    K-Edge XL single ring guide
    Crank Candy 11
    Stem FSA SLK, carbon plate
    Post FSA SLK carbon
    Bars FSA Energy, alloy

18.0 lbs as shown. Pretty easy to get it down to into the low 16's in a smaller size for a lighter, smaller rider by running 2x 24h, carbon bars, Egg beaters and a lighter saddle, guard and a few other bits.

Backup bike is a 2010 Carbon Crux with 10s D/A cable which rides much harder. The FTB is surreally smooth and compliant over washboard and pock marked singletrack. A bit less snappy accelerating on pavement than the Crux but I'll happily make that trade off for the Buick LeSabre shock absorption. Brakes are amazing, not a hint of chatter anywhere and nearly one finger lock up with OEM organics. I suspect swithing to the metallic pads would make it one finger like the XTR race discs on my XC bike.

That Giant 1.0 just above this post was my first choice but they sold out before I could get my hands on one. No regrets getting the FTB.

www.949Racing.com
    (what I do when I'm not riding)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio700 View Post
    Wanting to have a disc bike as my cross primary and on the recommendation of a good friend, I just built this:

2015 Van Dessel FTB
    58cm
    15mm through axle fork
    ST-685 hydro disc (Ultegra-ish)
    Wheelset - 142mm through axle
    -Light-bicycle 27mm carbon tubs, 28H
    -3x, DT Revo
    -Challenge Grifo Team Edition
    Ultegra 6800 RD
    Ultegra 11-32 cassette
    XTR 180mm, FC-M980 compact cranks
    Wheels Mfg BB30/PF30 enduro bearing adapter kit
    Raceface 42T guard
    Raceface 42T ring
    K-Edge XL single ring guide
    Crank Candy 11
    Stem FSA SLK, carbon plate
    Post FSA SLK carbon
    Bars FSA Energy, alloy

18.0 lbs as shown. Pretty easy to get it down to into the low 16's in a smaller size for a lighter, smaller rider by running 2x 24h, carbon bars, Egg beaters and a lighter saddle, guard and a few other bits.

Backup bike is a 2010 Carbon Crux with 10s D/A cable which rides much harder. The FTB is surreally smooth and compliant over washboard and pock marked singletrack. A bit less snappy accelerating on pavement than the Crux but I'll happily make that trade off for the Buick LeSabre shock absorption. Brakes are amazing, not a hint of chatter anywhere and nearly one finger lock up with OEM organics. I suspect swithing to the metallic pads would make it one finger like the XTR race discs on my XC bike.

That Giant 1.0 just above this post was my first choice but they sold out before I could get my hands on one. No regrets getting the FTB.

Way to keep the weight down, my Giant with Shimano XT pedals came in at a whopping 20.3 lbs. I was a bit shocked actually but chalking it up to the hydro disc brakes and schwalbe tires. I may look for a lighter wheelset and call it a day. My old TCX Advanced SL frame that I built up with some new and used parts (including an older drive train Shimano 105 5600) only weighed 19.5 lbs with the same pedals and some older aksium rims. I still love the new bike though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by m3ta1head View Post

Nice, how do you like those X'Plor's? I am considering those or the LAS for a second set of tires that I can slap on when I'm riding crushed limestone/pavement trails and pavement. I have Schwalbe Super Swans on my current rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MGear4817 View Post
    Nice, how do you like those X'Plor's? I am considering those or the LAS for a second set of tires that I can slap on when I'm riding crushed limestone/pavement trails and pavement. I have Schwalbe Super Swans on my current rims.
    They are pretty awesome. Fast and smooth on pavement & gravel, and capable enough in mud and grass. They're not as good as a dedicated cross tire for racing, but for riding in mixed terrain they really do the trick. My rides on them have been 50% pavement, 50% fireroad/singletrack and they hold up fantastically. I've been running them at about 40psi for mixed riding which gives lots of grip off road, and 70psi for road only and they essentially feel like big slicks thanks to the smooth, hard center tread. The LAS is much less of an all around tire-they would be great off road but not as fast on pavement as the USH (plus I imagine the tread on the LAS would wear pretty quickly on the road).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by m3ta1head View Post
    They are pretty awesome. Fast and smooth on pavement & gravel, and capable enough in mud and grass. They're not as good as a dedicated cross tire for racing, but for riding in mixed terrain they really do the trick. My rides on them have been 50% pavement, 50% fireroad/singletrack and they hold up fantastically. I've been running them at about 40psi for mixed riding which gives lots of grip off road, and 70psi for road only and they essentially feel like big slicks thanks to the smooth, hard center tread. The LAS is much less of an all around tire-they would be great off road but not as fast on pavement as the USH (plus I imagine the tread on the LAS would wear pretty quickly on the road).
    I have the LAS on my old TCX and they were pretty awesome, but the lack of any type of flat protection concerned me as I did get a puncture flat on a recent ride. Put about 600 miles on them so far and they look new still but I am seeing this one and have a new TCX that I'm getting a second set of rims for the type of riding you're doing and I'm thinking the X'Plor USH would be a better choice. I think they weigh about the same and would, as you mentioned, roll a little faster on pavement and hard crushed limestone paths which is where I'll be riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those Giant TCX's are beautiful

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I can't speak for long term durability and flat protection but so far, the USH has held up well for me. From what I understand the 60tpi version is heavier & less supple, but more durable and resistant to cuts compared to the 120tpi version. For the type of riding you'll be doing I don't think you'll have any issues. Out of curiosity, did you narrow down the culprit for the puncture you got on the LAS?

RoadBikeReview Member

Your Cross Rigs: Post em up!

My brand new Jake The Snake...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417905798.763291.jpg

Just got it earlier in my what ended up being a 57 hour work week, so not even a chance to ride it yet. Got tomorrow (Sunday) off, so going to hit up the local gravel rail trail to set seat height and such. Next weekend should be a bit longer, so try for a bit of real dirt on the tires then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Had my 2014 Marin Cortina CX for about a month now and love it!!!! Only thing I might change is go with hydraulic brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Flanders Blade disc 3.0, sram cx1, iron cross pro wheelset, xg tnt tyres.

flanders blade.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Really like that Flanders Blade. Did you buy as frame only or complete bike? Ta

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I custom built it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Agree, nice Flanders. How do you like the brakes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    That pic is actually about 5 -6 months ago when I had the TRP HY-RD brakes on just while I was waiting on the new Sram Hydro brakes. My last bike was cantilever and as a lot of my cx riding more mtb type loops I was getting a bit of arm pump trying to slow down but on the flanders with the sram hydro I never get that now, always a consistent smooth lever feel and a lot easier to slow down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    IMG_2953.JPGswiss cross 1x10 next cranks, dura ace wheels, xtr pedals, trp9 brakes, katie crompton bars, dura ace drive train, sammy slick tyres, ritchey carbon stem, seatpost, flite saddle. choice allrounder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Decided to sell my old TCX and replace it with this. Then I got a second set of rims (carbon) to mount some Clemente X'Plor USH 120tpi tires on for hard pack and pavement rides and lower weight. Stock is 20.7lbs, with the carbon rims, 19lbs. Not as light as I would have liked but that's got to be the weight penalty of disc brakes which, compared to my canti's on the old TCX, are well worth it.
    The second pic (sorry for the quality) is with the carbon rims mounted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    S-Work Crux Disc, COBL GOBL-R, S-Works Finishing Kit, Rival Wheels, SRAM CX1

IMG_20141213_131850.jpg

S-Works Tarmac SL3
    Those Crux'es are extremely good looking bikes. Specialized has one of, if not the best looking aero bike in the Venge, and the same for cross bikes in the Crux. All my opinion of course, but they race bikes that look like race bikes.

[email protected] [email protected]@rd
    Apr 2010

RoadBikeReview Member
    Felt Breed with Hope Pro2-Major Toms
    FeltBreed.jpg
    I'd rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
    -Refused

Kaizen
    My custom built, Cannondale CAADX. Weighs in at 17.8lbs...

IMG_4833.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs up

Picked this demo bike up at the LBS, great condition. Picture is from the maiden voyage when morning temperature was -1 degrees F with snow packed roads. The front tire that came with it was swapped for a studded snow tire before the ride which worked fine, no crashes! Crockett.jpg
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Singlespeeder
    Jan 2007
    2015 SuperX with 2005 equippment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    New rig for a new year, a Niner RLT 9. One shakedown ride so far and I'm impressed.

20150222_140547.jpg

Migrated parts off the old build to the new frameset. Wheels are off my 9'r until I get a dedicated set built up. Bar tape is temp, want to try a few color options before making a final decision. Crank will likely go soon as well. It's 6800 mechanical build with TRP Hy/Rd brakes.
    I know the pic is from the 'wrong side' but the crank is boring and this is the way I park it in the office, ready to roll out the door.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2829303132 ... LastLast