Post your De Rosa here! - Page 25
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 232425
    RoadBikeReview Member
    My Primato EL OS that I picked up last year. Sadly, I don't have a lot of saddle time on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I also have a pearl 35th anniversary edition with the pantographed Delta brakes, stem, and complete C record grupo. That bike will probably only be sold by when I die. Lorrie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beautiful color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Here is my new baby. I bought the frame in pretty poor condition to build up as an everyday ride because I still haven't recovered from watching some numbnut tip my new Battaglin over at a coffee stop. bult with a secod hand Chorus 11 speed gruppo and a bunch of bits sitting in cupboards in my garage - Richey bar/stem, Deda seat post, tatty Fizik saddle and a fairly worn set of Fulcrum Racing Zeros. tips the scales at about 18kg and rides beautifully.

The only problem I have is I have no idea what model or year the frame is. Has a paint scheme like a Casanova, but no name stickers. Has external rear brake cable whilst the Casanova had internal. Tubing is Columbus Genius vs Casanova being Columbus Brain. interestingly, also only has one set of bosses for bidon cage. Whatever it is, I like it and she is my favorite ride, but if anyone can shed some light on the model I would be most grateful.

Near Rotorua in New Zealand
    IMG_3393.jpg

In Perth, Western Australia
    IMG_3189.jpg

At home also in Perth with the rest of my Italian family
    IMG_3109.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beautiful bike in a beautiful place! I bet it climbs like a bandit with those gears.

I lost contact with the yearly model changes 10 years ago, but would guess this one was made somewhere between 1995 and 2015. Genius was an earlier favorite before Brain tubing--I think. So that would be maybe early '00s.

The fully sloping fork crown, chromed fork at the bottom, chromed chain stay--classic robust DeRosa, but making its own stylistic statement. Put light 28C tires on it> gravel bike. Very nice set-up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Beautiful bike in a beautiful place! I bet it climbs like a bandit with those gears.

I lost contact with the yearly model changes 10 years ago, but would guess this one was made somewhere between 1995 and 2015. Genius was an earlier favorite before Brain tubing--I think. So that would be maybe early '00s.

The fully sloping fork crown, chromed fork at the bottom, chromed chain stay--classic robust DeRosa, but making its own stylistic statement. Put light 28C tires on it> gravel bike. Very nice set-up!
    Thanks. It does upset me when I see how shabby the paint work really is. She has not been treasured as she should have been. Anyway, she is getting plenty of loving now. I am torn between a respray and just accepting the patina of her hard former life.
    I am sure it would climb very well with a bigger engine on board. I really need a compact chainset when the road tilts upward though. At the moment I have a full 53 tooth chainset and 12-27 cassette fitted which is great for the flat lands where I live, but I was just about OK on the few hills I rode in NZ.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
    Thanks. It does upset me when I see how shabby the paint work really is. She has not been treasured as she should have been. Anyway, she is getting plenty of loving now. I am torn between a respray and just accepting the patina of her hard former life.
    I am sure it would climb very well with a bigger engine on board. I really need a compact chainset when the road tilts upward though. At the moment I have a full 53 tooth chainset and 12-27 cassette fitted which is great for the flat lands where I live, but I was just about OK on the few hills I rode in NZ.
    Surprised to read your finding on the paint work. The Italians had a terrible reputation for lousy paint up until the mid-80s. They didn't put on enough coats to protect from abrasions. The paint would crack. And only one coat of clear over the decals, so you could see the decal seam and they'd partially peel off. The pros changed bikes every year, so they didn't care.

The burgeoning American market pretty much drove the Italians to add some paint and clear coat that would last a lifetime. The '84 "Professional" pictured above has so much clear coat, there's no seam around the decals. The Columbus SL sticker is half peeled off from being clipped in the stand, but the paint underneath is flawless. Several abrasions on the non-chromed left chain stay show a nice thick white primer. Never had a problem with rust anywhere except the brake cable braze ons along the top tube from sweat.

Do you suppose a nice swabbing with auto detailer might brighten up the frame? Or did DeRosa return to the old ways?

Have to agree, lower gearing would be preferable for rider pushing into the 60s. 50/34 and 13-28 would be just fine climbing out of the Potomac River valley in the Washington area. Such a great climbing bike! Inspires confidence in every stroke. Every time I think, "Oh sh!t! I'm screwed!!" The voice of Ugo comes forth like a soliloquy in a Verdi opera, "You'll make it, my son! Don't worry. "
    Last edited by Fredrico; 12-20-2018 at 10:26 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Surprised to read your finding on the paint work. The Italians had a terrible reputation for lousy paint up until the mid-80s.
    The actual paint work is fine. The only decal is the Columbus Genius one. All other lettering is all painted on. I suspect she has had a few encounters with other objects. Worst damage is a big scrape about 8" long down the non-drive chain stay along the outer ridge of the diamond shape and the top tube where I suspect it has been carried on a car rack and the brake cable has rubbed a fair bit away down to bare metal. There are the usual chips and scrapes to add to those and no rust visible externally, although I get a few dribbles of rusty muck after a wet ride so inside might need a dose of something to stop that.

Do you suppose a nice swabbing with auto detailer might brighten up the frame? Or did DeRosa return to the old ways?
    I did give it a good cut and polish and then a wax when I first got the frame. The good paint appreciated it and a few minor blemishes were improved, but the bad stuff is down to the chrome and won't be coming back without some more paint sadly. I do have a tame auto spray painter who does bikes on the side. Really good quality work on everything from Specialized McLarens down to kids' balance bikes.

"You'll make it, my son! Don't worry.

"

The intent is similar to what I might think to myself at times, but the choice of words is slightly different! mine would be interspersed with some choice Australian vernacular.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 232425