I love to climb!

Cycling cleanest sport

Just read an article on Cycling Weekly wherein the MPCC claims that the fight against doping has now made cycling one of the cleaner sports, with 12 other sports ranked worse for doping.

Not really news... the other sports have always been dirtier than cycling. It just makes more news because cycling fans care. American football fans? They could care less if the players are doped to the gills with steroids. They just want to see some "hard hits!"

The news I often read in the cycling publications often make out like cycling is the only sport with a doping problem, but of course the are cheaters in every sport. Who would think there aren't? Most sports sweep it all under the rug, test very little, and if someone does get caught, the punishment is non-existent or incredibly minor. Are there any other sports that will give you a four year ban for a first offense? Most sports won't give a 4 game ban! No punishment means they'll have a lot more athletes doping.

At least cycling tries or gives the appearance of trying to curtail doping.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    Just read an article on Cycling Weekly wherein the MPCC claims that the fight against doping has now made cycling one of the cleaner sports, with 12 other sports ranked worse for doping.

Not really news... the other sports have always been dirtier than cycling. It just makes more news because cycling fans care. American football fans? They could care less if the players are doped to the gills with steroids. They just want to see some "hard hits!"

The news I often read in the cycling publications often make out like cycling is the only sport with a doping problem, but of course the are cheaters in every sport. Who would think there aren't? Most sports sweep it all under the rug, test very little, and if someone does get caught, the punishment is non-existent or incredibly minor. Are there any other sports that will give you a four year ban for a first offense? Most sports won't give a 4 game ban! No punishment means they'll have a lot more athletes doping.

At least cycling tries or gives the appearance of trying to curtail doping.
    Good points... Sports with players unions offer, maybe unintentionally, maybe not, an extra layer of protection. Not just on a positive test, but right down to dictating the testing policy. All done through the CBA, so leagues are complicit, heck, they are fine with it, owners donít care about doping. Lance did irreparable damage to cycling... But other sports have their busted cheaters. Lance just took it to another level...
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

flinty-eyed moderator
    T-e-n-n-i-s
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Curling or BMX probably has the most dope.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think to a point sports like the NFL are more worried about illegal drugs than performance enhancing drugs.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Is this the article the op is referring to? https://www.mpcc.fr/index.php/en/new...gures-for-2019

From the article:
    The one actual trend we can identify is that cycling is getting further away from the top of our doping cases classification. Though, cycling fans must mitigate their satisfaction: this is not due to a drop in doping cases, but mainly caused by this new transparency granted by the federations.

Yay.

The Slow One.
    A look at the sanctions page on the USADA website bears this out. Riders are still getting busted, but so are a lot of other athletes in other sports as their sanctioning bodies get more serious about catching the dopers- at least to the level they deem sufficient to tamp down the "outrage" among those that support them. Sports are only as clean as we allow them to be.

I have no illusions that cycling is clean. I do have hope that it is "cleaner" than it once was, but they're still out there looking for any edge they think they can get away with. In some cases that's equipment/kit, in some cases that's buying the best domestiques, in some cases that's support staff and logistics support, and in a lot of cases it's muddling in the gray areas of legality or outright stepping over the line. Whatever it takes.

When I see a rider get busted for something minor, with a modest sanction, the jaded side of me wonders if they don't breathe a sigh of relief that they weren't popped for something more damning. The methods and substances used today make the stuff Postal did seem almost quaint in its simplicity. Sooner or later the drug testers are going to catch up, we'll have a string of busts leading to a doping ring, and the cycle will begin again. That's how it's been since Festina, and I don't see any break in the trend.