Lance and Testosterone
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Wheelsucker
    Reputation: Wheelsuker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    30

    Lance and Testosterone

    I would love to hear a response from a Doctor on this question. Since LA essentially lost at least one, if not BOTH of his testis, does he take Testosterone? If so, wouldn't this give him a HUGE step up on his competition, essentially an approved steroid user????

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    11,561
    I'm not a doctor but this issue has been covered before, and the answer is Lance lost one testicle and still has the other, and that one is just as good as two since the one that is left ramps up production and you end up with your normal testosterone levels again. So no need to take testosterone replacement, and even if he did it's not certain that it would offer any advantage to endurance performance especially as he would be taking physiological levels not the supra-physiological levels that even bodybuilders/weightlifters take to produce their freakish muscle gains.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mellowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    309
    I've heard this one before. However, the testicle still in him is sterile. His children were made possible from withdrawls for the sperm bank he made deposites too before chemo. Why should we assume a sterile testicle still produces testosterone.

    As for performance enhancer, is it not on the banned list?

  4. #4
    I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Reputation: Sintesi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4,302
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowman
    I've heard this one before. However, the testicle still in him is sterile. His children were made possible from withdrawls for the sperm bank he made deposites too before chemo. Why should we assume a sterile testicle still produces testosterone.

    As for performance enhancer, is it not on the banned list?
    Assuming you're correct, I imagine there's a medical sanction that allows him to take a supplement and also set parameters to prevent any advantage if there would be one. He's been tested over a hundred times, if he had testosterone coming out his ears I'd think someone would have said something, don't you?

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    11,561
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowman
    I've heard this one before. However, the testicle still in him is sterile. His children were made possible from withdrawls for the sperm bank he made deposites too before chemo. Why should we assume a sterile testicle still produces testosterone.

    As for performance enhancer, is it not on the banned list?
    Do sperm production and testosterone production have anything to do with one another? The latter is a hormone derived from cholesterol, who's production (I believe) is mainly regulated by centrally released hormones from the pituitary of the brain. Sperm is something completely different.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mellowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry
    Do sperm production and testosterone production have anything to do with one another? The latter is a hormone derived from cholesterol, who's production (I believe) is mainly regulated by centrally released hormones from the pituitary of the brain. Sperm is something completely different.
    Actually I believe they do have something to do with each other. They are both produced in the testicles and after all testosterone is responsible for males developing into males. Futhermore, low sperm counts have been linked to low testosterone levels.

    Also, I don't believe the pituitary is involved here but the hypothalmus which has functions in regulating indirectly many hormones. Not sure about that cholesterol bit either, but cholesterol is a type of fat and lots of stuff are made from that. So I wouldn't be surprised if all hormones are derived from fat.

    But to get back to my point, the organ clearly is not functioning correctly so why should we assume it still produces testosterone. Testosterone is produced in the tissue around where sperm is produced.

    Sinetsi, I'm sure there have to be some controls but who is to say what a persons exact level should be. I think it is just big range. Not that I think this is his secret to success but on the other hand if he had very low to no testosterone production then that might seriously effect his tour performance.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jaldridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowman
    Also, I don't believe the pituitary is involved here but the hypothalmus which has functions in regulating indirectly many hormones. Not sure about that cholesterol bit either, but cholesterol is a type of fat and lots of stuff are made from that. So I wouldn't be surprised if all hormones are derived from fat.

    But to get back to my point, the organ clearly is not functioning correctly so why should we assume it still produces testosterone. Testosterone is produced in the tissue around where sperm is produced.
    Both the hypothalamus (via LHRF) and the pituitary gland (via LH) are involved in the regulation of testosterone production by the Leydig cells of the testes.

    Cholesterol is the biochemical precursor to testosterone. It's not a fat, but rather a fat-related molecule.

    Testicular damage from chemotherapy and radiation therapy often results in diminished testosterone production that may be either temporary or permanent.
    Jim, road mostly / fun & fitness
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Trek Pilot 5.2; Airborne Thunderbolt; Specialized Allez Comp Cro-Moly; Bianchi Boardwalk

  8. #8
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,473
    Please drop this issue...It's been beaten to death. LANCE DOES NOT TAKE TESTOSTERONE. He does not need to. If he lost both(he didn't), he would have to.

    I've had one for 11 years after having the other removed becasue of cancer. I went through 6 weeks of radiation in that direct area. My body still produces plenty of testesterone......

    Am I sterile? probably. I never bothered to get checked since we already had our kids.

    testosterone is not a problem with one testicle......
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    Wheelsucker
    Reputation: Wheelsuker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    30

    No Testo!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Please drop this issue...It's been beaten to death. LANCE DOES NOT TAKE TESTOSTERONE. He does not need to. If he lost both(he didn't), he would have to.

    I've had one for 11 years after having the other removed becasue of cancer. I went through 6 weeks of radiation in that direct area. My body still produces plenty of testesterone......

    Am I sterile? probably. I never bothered to get checked since we already had our kids.

    testosterone is not a problem with one testicle......
    Thanks for the clear clarification. I didn't mean to imply anything, but my brother, who is an MD, was asking me, and as much as I know about cycling and LA< I didn't have a clear answer or explanation. Your answer is the most solidifying.

    S

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.