Zwift cheating costs British rider
    Neophyte

Zwift cheating costs British rider

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/...-cheating.html

10/08 Edit to add some details for those who don't want to bother with link:

-Cameron Jeffers is the rider that got in trouble

-Stripped of British Virtual Racing championship and banned from racing (virtual and real) for 6 months and fined

-Yes, he's also a real racer, rides for Saint Piran

-What he actually got in trouble for: He cheated in his method to obtain the upgraded virtual bike that he Zwift raced with by using simulator to rack up the time/miles/climbing/etc required to unlock the bike
    Last edited by jetdog9; 1 Week Ago at 10:42 AM.

Pack Fodder.
    Thing is, if he had've just entered the Everest challenge and rode normally, he would have likely had the vertical to earn the bike legitimately.

Let's be honest, there are more ways to cheat at virtual racing than there are in actual racing. This isn't even close to the level of what happens in just about every Zwift race across the categories. Some get caught, but a lot don't.

I've liked Zwift since it was in beta and I primarily rode with Blue Man Group on Jarvis, but it will never replace the real world for me.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    People will cheat at anything, no matter how pathetic. Even video games.

The funny part is British Cycling evidently made up a rule to charge him with--because what he did was not in the rule book.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    People will cheat at anything, no matter how pathetic. Even video games.
    "Especially" video games. People have been cheating in video games since they have existed.

Any time the client hardware and software is in the clients hands, cheating is going to happen. There doesn't even really have to be motivation for it.

As far as the e-sports stuff, the sanctioned championship events happened in a venue where the hardware (computer and trainer) was provided to them. Everyone was on the same 'real world' hardware and it had all been calibrated prior to their event, and the competitors had to weigh in.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    "Especially" video games. People have been cheating in video games since they have existed.

Any time the client hardware and software is in the clients hands, cheating is going to happen. There doesn't even really have to be motivation for it.

As far as the e-sports stuff, the sanctioned championship events happened in a venue where the hardware (computer and trainer) was provided to them. Everyone was on the same 'real world' hardware and it had all been calibrated prior to their event, and the competitors had to weigh in.
    Cheating in video games that matter not IRL, nor were intended to, is one thing But cheating on a platform intended to make people fitter (Zwift etc) by falsifying results is another.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Pack Fodder.
    I remember watching videos on YouTube of a couple Asian guys on a couch with a DeWalt drill and a speed sensor giggling as they took jersey after jersey. Or adding a couple magnets to your wheel. Or choosing a dumb trainer with favorable (wildly inaccurate or easily manipulated) Zwift Power characteristics. Or weight-doping. Or any number of other methods to cook the books and get a performance advantage.

It's been happening on Zwift for as long as the platform has existed. Some people are looking for status as a cyclist they haven't earned, so are looking to mess with people just for kicks. It only affects you if you place importance on the endeavor and have some stake in the outcome. So, in that regard it's like IRL racing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I remember watching videos on YouTube of a couple Asian guys on a couch with a DeWalt drill and a speed sensor giggling as they took jersey after jersey. Or adding a couple magnets to your wheel. Or choosing a dumb trainer with favorable (wildly inaccurate or easily manipulated) Zwift Power characteristics. Or weight-doping. Or any number of other methods to cook the books and get a performance advantage.

It's been happening on Zwift for as long as the platform has existed. Some people are looking for status as a cyclist they haven't earned, so are looking to mess with people just for kicks. It only affects you if you place importance on the endeavor and have some stake in the outcome. So, in that regard it's like IRL racing.
    I am with this ^^^. I get why itís inappropriate, but I also kind of donít care. I mostly feel bad for him that it means that much to him really. Itís weird.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...