Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Is that the name of the book? Because I cannot find it anywhere. Who is the author?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    here you go. This is the second edition. My list came from 1st edition so not sure how it differs (if any)

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0979275148

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Great, thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Great job! That is quite an accomplishment.

The book seems to have been written by someone who is California-centric, because there are more than seven climbs in CO that would rank in the top 100, unless the person writing the book was simply looking at profiles and not actually riding the climbs. The altitude and road surface make a huge difference. Mount Evans and Pike's Peak don't look that hard on paper, but once you are over 10,000 feet, everything changes. Also, I assume these are all paved climbs? If you include dirt, there are definitely more climbs in CO and several in Utah that would make the cut. Some of the toughest climbs in CO are actually somewhat obscure, and might not be included, like Golden Gate Canyon to Panorama Point via Mountain Base Road, Grand Mesa from the north, Squaw/Juniper Pass westbound, and Magnolia Road from Boulder to the Eldora Ski Resort. In Utah, Geyser Pass from Moab is 6500 feet of almost continuous vertical in 24 miles. The last few miles are on a dirt road, but it looks better than the White Mountain "road" in CA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Great job! That is quite an accomplishment.

The book seems to have been written by someone who is California-centric, because there are more than seven climbs in CO that would rank in the top 100, unless the person writing the book was simply looking at profiles and not actually riding the climbs.The altitude and road surface make a huge difference.
    Thanks. His book is based on numbers. He explains the formulas in the intro. He has two top 100 lists, one with & one without altitude compensation so that does account for thin air. Almost all of them are 100% paved but a select few have short dirt sections (Washington, Figuroa, Wildrose etc). Both North & South Grand Mesa are in his original list. I remember doing them both...a tough day! Personally I don't think its California-centric. The Sierra is massive & holds lots of steep roads. The San Bernardino Mountains are no slouch either, & don't forget the CA coastal ranges, Death Valley, Mt. Shasta etc. I agree CO paved climbs are big, however most of them are well engineered roads & have shallow grades (except East Portal & the top of Evans). No doubt there's lots of climbs with longer dirt sections that are wicked tough, but I guess he had to draw the line at some point since the publication is aimed at road cycling. If not Mauna Kea would likely be #1 with 14,000' of continuous up from sea to summit, with 9,500' on the road & 4,500' on dirt. Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Onto something slightly different - I found this little monster near Griffith Park in SoCal this weekend (Fargo st). Book says 33% & 1/10 of a mile. Taking this straight on got my heart rate to near 200 at the top. My poor steel frame didn't appreciate the low speed mashing either

America's 100 hardest climbs-image.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    33%

holysh!t.

Sometimes I hit these little burgs (much like your picture, but sometimes on pave/cobbles) over here in Belgium that say 20 up to 25% (have never seen any higher, yet) and I am furiously getting into the 39-28 while hoping I don't lose speed, or that my tires don't break from under me. Otherwise it's over, either falling and/or walking or both.

But 33%? I don't care if it is asphalted, that is a nut buster. For some reason, your picture looks famous to me, like it is a Youtube video, where riders in SoCal gather to ride and/or race up over it. I could've sworn I saw something like that some years ago on Youtube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    yeah after more internet digging it turns out they do an annual hill climb event on Fargo St.

I was just thinking what a pain in the ass it must have been to pave this thing. You'd think the wet concrete/asphalt would just slither down the hill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I'm impressed. That's quite the accomplishment.

There are a couple of competitions held on Fargo Street every year. The local hipsters have a fixie only competition. If you plan on competing on a fixie, make sure you prepare properly, i.e., wax your handlebar mustache (a regular non-waxed mustache is acceptable if you have a full on beard), wear skinny jeans (stretch jeans highly recommended), have a pre-ride drink of 100% certified humane (the kind that's not tested on farmers) organic fair trade coffee, repeatedly yell, "Starbucks is corporate!" while making your way up (apologies to Portlandia), etc.
    Last edited by leathernek; 03-15-2015 at 11:37 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Farva, that's just an awesome accomplishment. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to be able to do even a dozen of those rides!
    Can I ask you what bike you're riding and basically how you had the time to do all the rides? Are you retired? I dream of traveling to many of those places and riding. I have a Ritchey Breakaway and want to use it in my travels. I'm tied down with work now, but in a few years who knows!
    Thanks for the post and keep 'em coming. Great stuff!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Congrats OP! That's a hell of an accomplisment!

I hope the book gets updated now Pikes Peak is open to bikes, by my reckoning, it's the toughest paved climb in NA, only the volcanoes have it beat by numbers. It averages 6.4 and hits 18% in spots. Still relatively unknown.

Not my website....
    Northeastcycling.com - Favorite Hillclimbs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Laughing thinking about the hipster fixie guys riding over to Fargo st on mellow roads in a ridiculously low single gear. Fargo is a cool little challenge though. I like how you have to nut up & attack it or suffer the consequences

thanks for the kind words Burgrat. I used a steel ritchey breakaway for almost all the rides in the book. I work for an airline & would try to get trips w/overnights near the rides I wanted to do. Many were still too far from our hotels so I ended up renting cars frequently. My rental car expenses were well over $5000 by the time I'd finished all 100. Still worth it. I've probably spent that much in coffee in the same time span

This was a great project for me. It took me to places I'd never ridden & I loved the mystery of not knowing what was around the next corner. In hindsight the only thing I'd do different is try harder to find a buddy to come along. I probably rode 85% of them solo & there were some lonely miles in there (death valley, southern NM, Nevada etc.)

Here's my trusty rig atop Mt. Wilson in SoCal.
    2008 steel breakaway w/sram rival

America's 100 hardest climbs-ritchey.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    What an awesome list!

Congrats, that's a ton of work.

I agree with summiting mauna kea. I've done many tough/long climbs over the years and that was absolutely brutal on a road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was wondering how you were able to do that much traveling to the climbs. Good job taking advantage of your airline job to get to so many places. Keep us posted of any new adventures.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    One of them (Alba Road, near Santa Cruz) is right where I live. I am scared to go down it, even in a car. (18% grade and terrible pavement).

Congrats on this and the other 99! I think I have done about 3 others.
    I used to ride Santa Cruz Mountains back in the day when I was in college (1975 to 80). Some of the cyclists called themselves the Davenport Whalers in those days. I know where Alba road is but I do not think I ever rode it. I used to go up Empire Grade at the University and over to the coast a lot but I cannot recall going further into the mountains to Alba Rd. Maybe if the Mountain Charlie Century back then went that way but I cannot recall. Anyway it's a beautiful place to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    I was wondering how you were able to do that much traveling to the climbs.
    Well 52 of the top 100 are in California. I was able to snag a lot of them overnighting in Ontario, Fresno, Bakersfield, Sacramento, etc. The Eastern Sierra & Death Valley hold about 20 of them alone & they were a little bit more of a pain to get to. For those I packed up my car & road tripped from SLC, knocking them all out in 2 five day trips. Fortunately once you get there, they are all in close proximity so it goes fairly quick. For the east coast ones, I just flew out the day before, rented a car, camped in the woods, did a ride or two, then flew back. I don't think I was gone more than 2-3 days for any of those.

Pretty sure someone with extensive time off could knock all of them out in one long summer trip. Get a camper van, a few friends, & a sh*t load of mix tapes. What a great adventure that would be.

WITHND
    Feb 2014
    Worlds Steepest residential street

Baldwin Street

Dunedin New Zeeland 35%

http://youtu.be/7_oW-ybRQ88

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    California is the cyclist's dream! From anywhere in the state it's easy to access tons of great bike climbs. Here's one that's pretty challenging. Not the hardest in Death Valley- but the gradient and heat certainly make it a feat!
    https://bit.ly/2LVcrcO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    9 mile grade. That one is in the mouth of the Owen's valley North of Majave right? Back side goes into Sherman Pass climb? Thanks for the pics. Remember enjoying that climb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    9 mile grade. That one is in the mouth of the Owen's valley North of Majave right? Back side goes into Sherman Pass climb? Thanks for the pics. Remember enjoying that climb
    Farva, have you ever taken on the Flagstaff climb in Boulder, CO? It's the big item on my list for this year and would love to hear your thoughts on what o expect if you have ridden it.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Farva, have you ever taken on the Flagstaff climb in Boulder, CO? It's the big item on my list for this year and would love to hear your thoughts on what o expect if you have ridden it.
    yes I've ridden it a few times. Nice switchbacks on lower portion, reasonable grade except near top which is pretty steep for 1/2 mile or so. If you are from out of town the thin air maybe a challenge on final headwall. Lots of local heros will likely join or pass you.
    Last edited by farva; 06-21-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Master debator.
    What an awesome achievement, lots of sweat dripping on that top tube no doubt. I've only ever done Powder River from Buffalo to Ten Sleep in WY on that list. Honorable mention would be from Teton Village to the top via Summit rd and back down on my mountain bike, 4,100 feet in 7.3 miles.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    yes I've ridden it a few times. Nice switchbacks on lower portion, reasonable grade except near top which is pretty steep for 1/2 mile or so. If you are from out of town the thin air maybe a challenge on final headwall. Lots of local heros will likely join or pass you.
    I remember that climb! I did it years ago when I was on tour with a band. We started from NYC so by the time we got to CO, I was ready for some time on a bike. Being from the East Coast, it was a challenge, but luckily we had been in CO for a week or so, so at least I was somewhat acclimated.

It was late October and I remember by the time I got to the top there were snow flurries - It was definitely one of my all time favorite times on a bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12