Charging Di2 while riding?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Charging Di2 while riding?

I'm doing a non stop Ultra race at the end of August, it is looking like about 50 hours of riding, possibly a few hours more or less (depending on wind and weather). I don't expect it to be more than 60. I have Ultegra Di2 from the year 2015 and I am concerned that the battery might not last the duration of the event. I am sure that others have had this problem before? What solutions have people come up with? I was thinking I could plug a portable charger into the charging port / plug, after plugging the initial one into the dock below the stem.

Cheers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I got 4-6 months of riding out of one full charge on my first gen Di2. I would think if you were fully charged at the start, YGTG! ...and I live in hills and shift a LOT!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bring an extra battery for it and do a quick swap would be a potential solution. I'd track hours riding before you lose your front DR to decide if you are going to need to worry about it though.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I have no idea if the shifters will work while charging the battery, but it can't be too hard to test it if you really want to know.

I've certainly never ridden anything close to 50 hours in a single ride, but according to Strava I have 175 hours this year shared across two bikes, and neither has been charged in that time.

Also Di2 charges really quickly. If you are concerned about the battery not lasting the duration, just plug it in for the duration of your bio breaks and it should be plenty of power for your ride.

Lastly, just in case you weren't aware, you can check your battery level on your Wahoo it Garmin head unit if you have a D-Fly paired.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Lastly, just in case you weren't aware, you can check your battery level on your Wahoo it Garmin head unit if you have a D-Fly paired.
    Now that is FUNNY!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Just in case someone comes along down the road and finds this thread, the answer is definitively *YES".

I just tested this in the work stand. You can still use your Di2 shifters while the battery is charging (the derailleurs move and the charge light remains lighted).

Go get yer charge on...
    Last edited by Finx; 08-07-2019 at 09:08 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    I'm doing a non stop Ultra race at the end of August, it is looking like about 50 hours of riding, possibly a few hours more or less (depending on wind and weather). I don't expect it to be more than 60. I have Ultegra Di2 from the year 2015 and I am concerned that the battery might not last the duration of the event. I am sure that others have had this problem before? What solutions have people come up with? I was thinking I could plug a portable charger into the charging port / plug, after plugging the initial one into the dock below the stem.

Cheers.
    I easily got 100 hours out of my Di2 without needing to charge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, haven't gone anywhere near e-drive trains yet, but had no idea the battery duration was that long. Consider me impressed! Nice work, Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Wow, haven't gone anywhere near e-drive trains yet, but had no idea the battery duration was that long. Consider me impressed! Nice work, Shimano.
    It's not really the drivetrain (chain, cassette, chainrings). It's just the shifting that's motorized by di2.