Endurance Ride - Pinarello Prince ?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017

Endurance Ride - Pinarello Prince ?

Hello all,

I have been looking for the right endurance bike for me for quite some time, and I think I have finally settled on the 2020 Pina Prince. While not full endurance like a Domane or Roubaix, I found this geometry to be nice for me.

Does anyone own a Pinarello Prince that can comment on the endurance side in terms of being comfortable over longer rides (50-100 miles), and how it reacts to rougher roads? My test ride from the store is never any more than 4 miles at most, so I am unable to judge this part of the experience.

I mainly ride ~ 40 miles on weekends and then participate in events that go from 50 - 100 miles. While not as comfortable and smooth as a Roubaix would be, I am hoping the Prince can hold its own over longer distances without discomfort.

Thanks for any input you can give me!

Side notes: I am considering tearing off the wheels day 1 and replacing both the wheelset and cassette with a 28mm 11/32 option rather than the 25mm 11/28 it comes with. That may be the only thing I dislike out of the box with this bike. Also, my second choice in the running is the BMC Roadmachine, while I love the ride, the road fatigue is noticeable only after 5 miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I have a bike that is based off of the prince, it rides nice, I like it.
    You said you were going to put a 32 cassette on it.... I would check this carefully. Most bikes will not run a 32 cassette, I am thinking of getting another bike because of this issue I have with my pino di2.
    BANNED

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Most bikes will not run a 32 cassette, I am thinking of getting another bike because of this issue I have with my pino di2.
    With the right derailleur, Ďmostí bikes will run a 40 or more!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    With the right derailleur, Ďmostí bikes will run a 40 or more!
    That is not true. Almost all road bikes will not, because they are not built with the 'right derailleur'.
    .... and specifically the Shimano Ultegra R8000 only goes up to 32 that I can find.
    BANNED

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I am running the new Ultegra with a 40, no problems. You can always replace the derailleur.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You can always replace the derailleur.
    No you can't, I can't find a long cage Di2 10 spd.

edit: Sorry, I had a terrible headache all day yesterday. Please don't say 'always'.
    Last edited by duriel; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:00 AM.
    BANNED

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Ok, you can Ďalwaysí replace the shifter and derailleur, itís not the bike thatís limiting you, (as you asserted) but the components. Make sense?
    Maybe itís just semantics?
    Last edited by rideit; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:04 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Ok, you can Ďalwaysí replace the shifter and derailleur, itís not the bike thatís limiting you, (as you asserted) but the components. Make sense?
    Maybe itís just semantics?
    You can always replace the FD/RD, WHEELS, CABLES, CASSETTE, ... BIKE. What is your point?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    He said it's a 2020 model, it's surely going to have a drive train that will accommodate an 11/30 and probably 11/32 or maybe 11/34.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Most bikes will not run a 32 cassette
    Just reading this thread and I think this was the point of contention and/or confusion.

A ďbikeĒ is obviously a combination of frameset + wheelset + groupset + finishing kit (like bars, stem, seatpost, saddle, pedals, tires, etc.).

If one refers to the ďbikeĒ one either refers to the entire package, or perhaps to the one core element of the package Ė the frameset. For example, I ride a Canyon Endurace disc. I have changed the groupset, the wheelset, the bars, the pedals, the saddle, and the tires Ė but itís still a canyon Endurace because thatís the frameset.

If you want to run a 32 cassette on a bike that didnít come with one, then you obviously plan to modify the original bike, and specifically to modify part of the groupset.

To say that the ďbikeĒ can NOT be modified in that way is to suggest that something beyond the groupset makes it impossible to make that modification. I think most people would read durielís original statement the way rideit read it, as suggesting that the 32 cassette was somehow incompatible with the frameset.

And thatís not true: there is nothing about the frameset that prevents running a 32 cassette. To run a 32 cassette you need a RD that will work with a cassette that big, so to upgrade the cassette you MIGHT also have to upgrade the RD. (As rideit points out, most 2019 bikes will have an RD that can run a 32 cassette, so no RD upgrade will be needed.)

In an extreme case, changing the RD might also require you to change the shifters; this is RARE, but it looks like it would apply to durielís case since he runs older di2. But thatís not going to be true for very many people at all, and even for them itís not the frameset that prevents them from running a 32, itís the older di2 groupset.

The vast vast majority of framesets can run a 32, and most groupsets can accommodate a 32 with just an RD upgrade.

Durielís problem is that his older 10s Di2 groupset prevents him from running a 32 without upgrading both the RD and his shifters (and maybe the FD too), but this problem does not apply to the OP, it does not apply to anyone running most mechanical groupsets, and it does not apply to anyone running 11s electronic groupsets.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Exactly.
    Forgive me for being a tad...pedantic, perhaps?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    My comment was to 'enlighten', and suggested to be aware of issues when changing things.
    I did check which cassette came with the bike and it was not a 30, 32, 34 or 40.... and just mentioned in passing that it is something to 'look' into before a big bike purchase.
    For others to state that it's going to be ok, may be true and probably is in this case.
    But.... do you know for a fact that it is for that bike?
    I don't think you did the research or am I stating that you should. The purchaser should.
    If that is a problem so be it, I'll accept that. .... but using 'always' is not good.
    BANNED

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You always says things like that.