What to eat the night before a century??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

What to eat the night before a century??

Hey everyone,

I have my first century coming up in 10 days. Its a very mild century with only about 3000' of elevation and looks like good weather. I feel like I am plenty ready for it due to riding quite a bit since the first of the year.

My only question is - what do I eat the night before??? Of course I have heard the age old term of "carb loading" but is that still the norm? Is that something you want to actually do? I will most likely be eating out because I will be staying at a hotel near the start.

Any tips on what to eat?? Thanks in advance for the info/help

Big is relative
    I like pizza or some pasta the night before. Don't try anything new, don't feel like you have to eat a lot. Just remember to eat hourly on the ride and keep a few gels or clif blok type stuff in your jersey for the inbetween hungries.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stay away from alcohol, greasy foods & fatty red meat. Watch out for spicy foods. Chicken(no skin) or fish with rice or pasta works for me. For breakfast I eat something like an egg on an english muffin, a small bowl of cereal w/fruit and maybe a PBJ at least 3hrs before the start. Start hydrating and "carb loading" 3-4 days before the ride. This is just what I do, ymmv. Eating out shouldn't be a problem. Just tell the waiter what's going on and he/she will probably be happy to work with you. once again YMMV! Oh yeah, have fun!
    `The Corkscrew was a great overtaking spot!ī smirked the World Championship leader. `Sometimes itīs possible to make a mistake there, but the gravel had good grip!ī

I ride in circles..
    Get a nice carb filled meal with some lean protein 2 nights before the ride. The night before eat a balanced meal with some carbs. Something easy to digest that doesn't leave you feeling bloated. Drink extra water for a few days prior as well. This way when you roll up to start you're lean, mean, and ready to rock.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with everything already said. Spicy food and garlic have a much different effect on your stomach the night before a long ride. Maybe it's nerves or just more activity but you don't want stomach problems. My nutritionist says that eat a normal well balanced meal. The morning of top off your tank with some carbs. I'm sure there will be plenty of food if it's a supported ride. You won't have to worry much. Just try to take in some calories at each stop. If you don't feel like eating, drink the calories in your water.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I have my on bike nutrition down pretty good, but just wasn't too sure about pre ride stuff. Im sure I'll be able to find some good balanced food around the hotel. Im super excited for my first century. This will hopefully get me ready for STP in July and Levi's Gran Fondo in October.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I eat whatever I want.
    A mountain biker who doesn't ride road has no legs
    A road biker who doesn't ride mountain has no soul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I wouldnt' deviate from your normal diet. It's more important that you take on liquid carbs and have some cliffbars or some other source of calories while you're riding.

You're not going to affect your storage of glycogen in your liver that much the night before you ride. So just eat stuff that burns clean and is easy to digest. No sense in starting your ride off feeling bloated.

I would recommed using sun block if you live in a sunny area as burnt skin has a way of running you down over time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Not sure how, but Ihavnt really thought of sunscreen haha. I will definitely be wearing some though. I burn super easy and the weather for the ride is looking sunny and nice. Thanks for all the tips guys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    Drink extra water for a few days prior as well.
    This is good advice. Be well hydrated at the start. It's fairly easy to stay hydrated if you start out hydrated. It's very hard to get hydrated if you start out behind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For meals the day pre-event:
    - reduce fat, protein, and fibrous carbohydrate intake
    - increase starchy carbohyrdate intake (preferably rice, not pasta or bread. rice is gluten free, and gluten is associated with inflammation moreso. When you do a long ride you get inflammation, no matter how well trained).
    - increase electrolyte fluid intake before and between meals. When you reduce fibrous carbs, you will reduce gut peristalsis. However, you still want to try to void your bowels before the ride. The additional fluid will help. The additional salt will help retain the fluid rather than pee-ing it off.
    - avoid all alcohol for at least 3 days before.
    - most important thing is to stay relaxed and get a good night's sleep for two nights before.

Event Day
    - 1.5-2 hours pre event, 500-750 mls of fluid before breakfast, then a meal of starchy carbs and protein. (cereal and egg on toast; 2 egg omelette on 2 toast; 1-2 eggs and 1-2 cups rice; 100g tuna and 1-2 cups rice). More than 500-600 Cals will weigh heavily.
    - give yourself an enema if you don't have the urge to defecate.
    - 250mls electrolyte in the 15 mins before event start.
    - drink an electrolyte solution on the ride; depending on weather, 600-1000mls per hour. You want to take a gram of carb per kg of bodyweight per hour. This will replace around 2/3s of energy expenditure, which is generally enough to stop bonking in events up to 6 hours.
    i.e.
    bodywt 80kg * 4 Cals/g = 320 Cals per hour.
    average energy expenditure at 28kph minus drafting effect = 500 Cals.
    If taking closer to 1 L of electrolyte, that will provide most of the 1g/kg. If less,complement with medium chain triglycerides found in gels and pastes. Smaller satchels contain 25 grams = 100 Cals.

Alan Lim makes up slices/balls of cooked egg and rice in alfoil. 1 egg and 1/2 cup of rice with soy sauce and a little vegetable matter (180 Cals per ball). 1 every 1.5-2.5 hours.

- if hot, dowse yourself in water. very important to keep your core body temp down. higher body temp will result in blood shunted from muscles to skin, and lead to fatigure much earlier.

The goal is to have optimal glycogen storage, interstitial and joint hydration, with minimal intestinal weight. Taking excessive solids during the ride will shunt fluid from muscles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by winstonw
    For meals the day pre-event:
    - reduce fat, protein, and fibrous carbohydrate intake
    - increase starchy carbohyrdate intake (preferably rice, not pasta or bread. rice is gluten free, and gluten is associated with inflammation moreso. When you do a long ride you get inflammation, no matter how well trained).

Event Day
    - 1.5-2 hours pre event, 500-750 mls of fluid before breakfast, then a meal of starchy carbs and protein. (cereal and egg on toast; 2 egg omelette on 2 toast; 1-2 eggs and 1-2 cups rice; 100g tuna and 1-2 cups rice). More than 500-600 Cals will weigh heavily.
    - 250mls electrolyte in the 15 mins before event start.
    - drink an electrolyte solution on the ride; depending on weather, 600-1000mls per hour. .
    This is crazy. The man is going out for a 100 mile ride and even if it were a race i wouldn't go through all this. You gotta be able to read your body.

As for the reduction in fat and protein I would agree as they can slow the bowel movements. At the same time I wouldn't veer too far off course from your normal diet because that can also plug you up. I still eat a big bowl of lentles/wild rice/100% whole wheat pasta/olive oil just about everyday and that's loaded with fiber and I can set my watch to my bowel movements. The most important thing is to eat small meals and leave a little hungry so you avoid bloating come race day.

Giving yourself an enema shouldn't be done unless you have chronic constipation. I wouldn't get into the a habit of doing it and I most certainly wouldn't do it just because there's a race. Honestly I bring toilet paper with me and if the race is out in the middle of nowhere and there's no restroom or portapotty I just go in the bushes before the race. I'm sure the locals don't appreciate it though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    each to their own heath. elite athletes have been doing enemas pre-event for decades. it is quick and is no big deal once you learn how to do it right, and removes the doubt of wondering when the urge will strike during the ride.

Cat 6
    lol, no.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Everyone is different... Do not try anything new the night before your ride, eat things that you know won't bother you or send you running to the toilet. I would go for healthy proteins and good carbs... Stay away from fried/greasy junk. If you like to carb up, do it at lunch the day before, not so much at the dinner the night before.
    Dan L.
    2011 Specialized Tarmac Expert SL3

Just Discovered
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic510
    Hey everyone,

I have my first century coming up in 10 days.

Any tips on what to eat?? Thanks in advance for the info/help
    During these next 9 days I would be getting good sleep / rest ...and making certain that you're hydrated 100%. It's the length of time in the saddle you've previously trained at that will get you through a century ride. The rule of thumb is if you're able to ride 50, you can double that distance for an event without much difficulty. Just have rest and be hydrated [prior and during the event].

You've outlined training for this event. Boosted333 is pretty much dead on. Remember that the "day after" the century to ride a few miles to get the leg muscles in a suppleness. Your recovery will be better if you ride a little the "day after."

Good luck.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys. I am about to chow down on oven roasted chicken (boneless, skinless), mixed veggies, sauteed in a bit of water and EVOO, and brown rice. Nice balance, and of course been drinking plenty of water today and the last week pretty much. Figure this wil be a good start and a decent bfast in the morning pre-ride.

Again, thanks for all the help. I think Ill hold off on the enema though haha.

Man, I'm Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Dinner.

Best most complete answer so far.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Dan L.
    2011 Specialized Tarmac Expert SL3

Large blurry non-mythical
    Jalepeno poppers washed down with cheap tequila.
    "The mouse with the overbite explained/how the rabbits were ensnared/ and the skinny scanty sylph/ trashed the apothecary diplomat/ inside the three-eyed monkey/ within inches of his toaster-oven life."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Finished the century. It went good, spent a total of 5:55 on the bike. Longer than I thought and or wanted to, but I was happy for my first 100+ ride. Lots of headwinds and was solo without a wheel to hop onto for awhile. Average speed was I think 16.9mph. Also wanted that higher, but gives me something to improve on.

Again, thanks for all the info, Hope it helps future people looking for the same info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by winstonw
    Ummmm....come again?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Have lots of sex. Celebrate with a good sandwich on wheat bread. Skip the enema.

Wanna go for a ride?
    Quote Originally Posted by gaspi101
    Have lots of sex. Celebrate with a good sandwich on wheat bread. Skip the enema.
    Unless the enema is part of the sex. It's not my thing, but some people are freaky that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast