New FR and VR Models - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post
    Any opinions on this "new" line or the latest and greatest? They have been out for a while with a lot of people saying they would check one out or get one when available; has anyone? I am considering one and looking for real world thoughts and opinions. Thanks.
    They are nice bikes for sure and if you go to Piermont Bikes eBay store you can probably get one at a HUGE discount right now. I just bought a Focus Cayo Disc from them for an incredible price. A number of people like the 35mmish tire clearance and ride quality of the VR.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    My LBS, which usually pushes Specialized pretty hard, told me to take a look at Felt because they "finally got their act together." I did, and I like what I see. I was looking at getting a Tarmac, but am reconsidering the FR and maybe even the VR. My first bike was a Felt and there is a special place in my heart for smaller brands not many outsiders have heard of. I also, on a whim, thought about a gravel bike (even though I have never ridden on gravel and don't even know where a gravel route is around me) because of the versatility. Well, maybe a gravel bike isn't 98% of a road bike as thought, but the VR might be 98% of a gravel bike.

I also have never raced. I do like to go fast, but who doesn't. I ride for enjoyment and fitness. I enjoy doing longer rides with friends or organized rides (ie centuries).

A few questions:

1) I am kind of put off by the external cable routing on the FR line. Should I be?
    2) I also, for no good reason, can't help but think of an endurance bike as a lesser bike. Should I?
    3) Do they come with a carbon cockpit like I think the description says (their new site has a bunch of mistakes)?
    4) The Reynolds wheels - AR29 vs AR41 (as in the wheels on the VR vs FR). Is there any aero benefit to a 29mm deep wheel?
    4a) I weigh 220ish. I can't seem to find weight limits for the wheels or bikes. Are there any?

Thanks!! I will check out that site too.
    Last edited by lightning33; 06-15-2019 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Misspelings

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    My LBS, whi h usually pushes Specialized pretty hard, told me to take a look at Felt because they "finally got their act together." I did, and I like what I see. I was looking at getting a Tarmac, but am reconsidering the FR and maybe even the VR. My first bike was a Felt and there is a special place in my heart for smaller brands not many outsiders have heard of. I also, on a whim, thought about a gravel bike (even though I have never ridden on gravel and don't even know where gravel route is around me) because of the versatility. Well, maybe a gravel bike isn't 98% of a road bike as thought, but the VR might be 98% of a gravel bike?

A few questions:

1) I am kind of put off by the external cable routing on the FR line. Should I be?
    2) I also, for no good reason, can't help but think of an endurance bike as a lesser bike. Should I?
    3) Do they come with a carbon cockpit like I think the description says (their new site has a bunch of mistakes)?
    4) The Reynolds wheels - AR29 vs AR41 (as in the wheels on the VR vs FR). Is there any aero benefit to a 29mm deep wheel?
    4a) I weigh 220ish. I can't seem to find weight limits for the wheels or bikes. Are there any?

Thanks!! I will check out that site too.
    Whew, these are some heavy questions that many cyclists debate, but I will do my best here and give you my thoughts. These are really just my preferences though and there really arenít any objectively right or wrong answers on most of this stuff. Next post will contain answers. Need to open my laptop though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    You are the man! I have paralysis through analysis (or however that goes) right now and am just stuck. Little things that I didn't think matter suddenly are make-it-or-break-it things...until they aren't again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    A VR is definitely in the light gravel category if you throw a pair of 33mm-35mm tires on it. Not pure gravel, but you can ride some decent stuff on it for sure. FR is more of a pure race bike, VR is a solid endurance road bike.

1. External cable routing doesn't really have a performance downside. Some cyclists love it for the simplicity of routing externally and repairs. I don't like the look either, so I don't go with it. One way to have your cake and eat it to is to go electronic on those bikes. External routing also tends to be a bit less aero if you care.

2. Most of us are probably better off on an race oriented endurance bike instead of a race bike with a bunch of spacers and a bad fit. Endurance bikes have come a long way and many are raced in Spring Classics today, so depending on what your cycling goals are, they could very well be the perfect choice.

3. I have no idea, just check the spec with the retailer before you buy.

4. You probably get a little aero from a 29mm, but most brands and cyclists tend to start thinking aero at 30mm and above, particularly 35-55mm. Most would acknowledge there is often a tradeoff for aero on the weight and wind catching side of things though, so keep in mind your goals, weather, and intended use.

5. Felt used to have the weights on their site, but ask the retailer to double check that for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    You are the man! I have paralysis through analysis (or however that goes) right now and am just stuck. Little things that I didn't think matter suddenly are make-it-or-break-it things...until they aren't again.
    No problem at all. Gravel bikes are great by the way, if you aren't primarily into pure road events, fast group rides/races, and lots of climbing, etc. Keep reminding yourself, it all comes down to your preferences and intended use. There are no right answers with this stuff for the most part. It's all about what's right for you given how you ride. Depending on your budget, you might be able to pick up one of each from Piermont, given how low some of their prices are to be honest.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 06-15-2019 at 07:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    A VR is definitely in the light gravel category if you throw a pair of 33mm-35mm tires on it. Not pure gravel, but you can ride some decent stuff on it for sure. FR is more of a pure race bike, VR is a solid endurance road bike.

1. External cable routing doesn't really have a performance downside. Some cyclists love it for the simplicity of routing externally and repairs. I don't like the look either, so I don't go with it. One way to have your cake and eat it to is to go electronic on those bikes. External routing also tends to be a bit less aero if you care. I mean, I "care" about aero, but it shouldn't matter to me and change anything for me. I do like the aesthetic of internally routed cables though. Di2 is nice, but spendy. I also keep thinking I am going to snag a cable on something.

2. Most of us are probably better off on an race oriented endurance bike instead of a race bike with a bunch of spacers and a bad fit. Endurance bikes have come a long way and many are raced in Spring Classics today, so depending on what your cycling goals are, they could very well be the perfect choice. Would the VR fall into the category? I currently ride a Cervelo S1 (alu aero bike from 2010). I ride with all the spacers (roughly 27.5mm of them), so you are probably right.

3. I have no idea, just check the spec with the retailer before you buy. They reference a carbon cockpit in the description, but the individual parts get no description and references to them being carbon is left out of the tech specs. Figured you might know.

4. You probably get a little aero from a 29mm, but most brands and cyclists tend to start thinking aero at 30mm and above, particularly 35-55mm. Most would acknowledge there is often a tradeoff for aero on the weight and wind catching side of things though, so keep in mind your goals, weather, and intended use. Fair enough. I would for sure prefer the AR41, but the VR, which I am leaning towards, comes with the AR29. Way better than my current Shimano R500 box rims though...

5. Felt used to have the weights on their site, but ask the retailer to double check that for you.
    I see the weights, but no weight limits listed or referenced anywhere.

Thanks for taking the time. I take it you ride a Felt bike? What is your steed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Oh and I suffer from the same "condition" and test rides usually help me sort things out a bunch. I can't stay stuck in my head. I have to get out and feel the differences between the bikes. I have also reached a point where I don't believe most of this stuff matters all that much anymore. All of these bikes are so similar and most can be made to ride really well with a little effort. I don't stress it as much now and really kind of focus on best fit for my body and best value for my dollar. It's the training and riding that make the biggest difference in my opinion now. Just get a bike you can afford and like in the category that works best for you given what you like to do I say (endurance, race, aero, gravel, cyclocross, mtb, etc.). Then ride the snot out of it, rinse and repeat every freaking day you can. Ride with people you like, ride with people that are faster than you, challenge yourself, take breaks and go on a mellow cruise sometimes, find new routes, ride to new places, and have as much fun as you possibly can. That's what matters to me now honestly. Bikes are just the means. Get a solid one you like and don't look back. Focus on the riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Oh and if you are truly looking for aero on an endurance platform, I would say check out the new Roubaix. Itís actually more aero than the new tarmac. Rides like a race bike too. The Canyon Endurace is nice too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I actually wasnít looking for an endurance bike (actually trying to steer AWAY from them) until i was told to scope out Felt again. Now that i have, i find...

1) it is a but cheaper
    2) it has internal cabling
    3) might fit the extremely part time graveler

I think, as suggested, test rides are next...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I see the weights, but no weight limits listed or referenced anywhere.

Thanks for taking the time. I take it you ride a Felt bike? What is your steed?
    First road bike was a Felt F85 around 2011. Tried lots of different stuff since then. Recently went to an endurance oriented Trek Domane, but got the bug for a change and bought a new Focus Cayo Disc a few weeks ago that I plan to build up as a pure road and climbing bike. I hope to add a true gravel bike that can handle a bit of single track and/or a MTB to that sometime within the next year or so and call it a day. I like the new Santa Cruz Stigmata on the gravel side and the Santa Cruz Hightower on the MTB side.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    It be marketing or a non-factor, but i also like the idea of TeXtreme

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It be marketing or a non-factor, but i also like the idea of TeXtreme
    Yeah, it sounds interesting, but I am not convinced it makes much difference in feel or performance out on the road. A test ride should help clarify.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    My fit has a somewhat big saddle-bar drop. I wonder if i can get enough seat post with the VR to make my fit close.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    My fit has a somewhat big saddle-bar drop. I wonder if i can get enough seat post with the VR to make my fit close.
    Not sure, that may be tougher with the geometry though. Thereís nothing wrong with getting a race bike too if thatís what you prefer. You also donít have to limit yourself to Specialized and Felt just because thatís what one shop recommends. Shop around, take some test rides, get what you like. Itís your money and your bike. Post pics of what you get. Hope you find something that makes you happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The new Giant Defy is another one that is both race oriented and endurance based. Trek makes a more comfortable race bike in the Edmonda too with its H2 fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    No no i know. I had it narrowed to a Tarmac, done decision. Then i found Felt again.

I think the FR has way better geo for me. I need to wrap my head around the external cables. For some reason, it just makes me scratch my head

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    No no i know. I had it narrowed to a Tarmac, done decision. Then i found Felt again.

I think the FR has way better geo for me. I need to wrap my head around the external cables. For some reason, it just makes me scratch my head
    Yeah, I passed on the Focus Izalco Max due in large part to external cable routing. I get it. It sounds like a Felt FR and Specialized Tarmac test ride session could be just what the doctor ordered. Will probably help you sort it all out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12