An affordable rear wheel?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

An affordable rear wheel?

I am looking for an affordable rear wheel for a fixed gear road bike. I am going to take on an old road bike over the winter to turn into a fixed, but I can't find any reasonable prices of rear wheels. I don't want to pay 100 bucks when the whole bike cost me 50. where should I look? I am going to use this to ride to school (2.2 miles) and back so I don't need anything fancy. Thanks

-Beau

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by links0311
    I am looking for an affordable rear wheel for a fixed gear road bike. I am going to take on an old road bike over the winter to turn into a fixed, but I can't find any reasonable prices of rear wheels. I don't want to pay 100 bucks when the whole bike cost me 50. where should I look? I am going to use this to ride to school (2.2 miles) and back so I don't need anything fancy. Thanks

-Beau

youll get varying opinions on whether it's a wise idea, but if I were trying to build a cheap fixed gear to ride 4.4 miles a day, I'd probably loc-tite a cog onto a freewheel hub. youd want to run frt/rear brakes and be careful with it but ou wouldnt be the first person to do so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    It will primarily be used as a commuter to school and back, a round trip of about 5 miles. But I would like to take it out for rides when ever I feel the urge. I've heard back things about your loc tite idea. I'll keep looking for an inexpensive rear wheel. Thanks for the reply.

-Links

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by links0311
    It will primarily be used as a commuter to school and back, a round trip of about 5 miles. But I would like to take it out for rides when ever I feel the urge. I've heard back things about your loc tite idea. I'll keep looking for an inexpensive rear wheel. Thanks for the reply.

-Links
    It might be difficult finding a rear fixed specific wheel for much less than $100. One of the cheapest fixed/ track rear hubs is the Suzue Basic and it retails for $35.95 just for the hub. You will need to add spokes and rim(unless you have a donor), and the cost of a wheelbuild.

It might be worth your while the try a freewheel hub and thread on a loctited(sp) cog. You can find a used donor wheel dirt cheap. As long as you run front and rear brakes, you should be OK.

I can ride my fixed without applying any rear pressure so I wouldn't have any fear of the cog unscrewing but this method takes a lot of fun out of the fixed experience..Part of the fun of riding fixed is controlling the speed with just crank pressure
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Cannot bench own weight
    I'm ordering a set of wheels built on high flange Phil Wood hubs. It's fixed/free combo. Ended up costing $575 for the wheelset

The hubs were just too nice looking and I've heard a lot of good about them. I better enjoy this fixed thing!
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

Jun 2006

Keep me in mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende
    I'm ordering a set of wheels built on high flange Phil Wood hubs. It's fixed/free combo. Ended up costing $575 for the wheelset

The hubs were just too nice looking and I've heard a lot of good about them. I better enjoy this fixed thing!

Iiiiiif you don't "enjoy this fixed thing" let me know, eh? Phil Wood high flanges for a fixie? A used set isn't worth much anyway...

BozemanboB

Jul 2006
    I had a similar situation and did this:

Nashbar flip/flop hub with two lockrings included 29.95
    32 dt14 spoke with nipples 16.00
    weinmann 27" rim from LBS 12.00
    LBS final truing 10.00
    Total 67.95
    I laced the wheel up my self using Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding page and than asked my LBS to check my work. He said I was 95% there and charged me $10.00 for the final tweek. So far no problems and a lot of fun.
    Skull