Building a basic fixie...finding a frame, cost, etc.
    RoadBikeReview Member

Building a basic fixie...finding a frame, cost, etc.

I want to build a basic ss/fixie and am wondering what it will take? I have been trying to find a decent frame with horizontal drops. I've looked at e-bay and seen piece of crap frames going for $300 plus. I realize at that point I'm better off getting a Fuji Track or a Raleigh Rush Hour, both of which run @ $500-600. More than I really want to spend.

So, where do you find a decent frame?

What else do I need to get?

Where do I go to get it?

I've read the Sheldon Brown info on building--anything else I should be considering or reading?
    DFL>DNF>DNS

By the time you get home you won't remember why you didn't want to get off the couch.
    ---Val Garou

Life Coach
    Where to look:

E-bay, with a jaudiced eye.

Yard sales, swapmeets, goodwill-styled stores. You can find something horizontal drops for $10 if you're in the right place at the right time. It depends on what you mean by decent, but if you're not trying to find a track style frame (like the Fuji & Rush Hour) many very good bikes with horizontal dropouts are dumped every year because "they're old and cluttering up the garage".

What else you need:

The frame you end up with, and whether you decide to go ss, fixed, or flipflop, will tell you if you need to put together a new rear wheel or if you can repurpose one you have.

You'll need most of the usual susupects: bars, stem, seatpost, headset, bb, crank, saddle, levers, calipersl, pedals, tires, etc.. Again, the frame/bike you buy will tell you if you need things like axel spacers, single-ring chainbolts, a freewheel or a cog, cassette spacers, etc.

Really, hunt for a frame that truly pops for you and then come on back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Complete bikes are often better values on E-Bay.

If you get a complete bike paradise may be yours for the price of the bike and a cog.

Frames frequently cost almost as much as complete bikes and can be the first step in a very poor value if you don't have boxes of parts in your basement to complete the build.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

I'm not like anyone else
    Quote Originally Posted by FishrCutB8
    I want to build a basic ss/fixie and am wondering what it will take? I have been trying to find a decent frame with horizontal drops. I've looked at e-bay and seen piece of crap frames going for $300 plus. I realize at that point I'm better off getting a Fuji Track or a Raleigh Rush Hour, both of which run @ $500-600. More than I really want to spend.

So, where do you find a decent frame?

What else do I need to get?

Where do I go to get it?

I've read the Sheldon Brown info on building--anything else I should be considering or reading?
    Also check your local thrift stores and the Salvation Army. I've found lots of nice bikes that will suit your purpose for only a few bucks. Last year, I scored a Schwinn Paramount for $15. I constantly see nice bikes but I don't have the room for any more right now.

Definately, check it out.

Good luck!
    I love my coonhound!

Jul 2005
    I also watched eBay for a while. Even if you find a decent bike for a reasonable price you have to tack on another $40 to $75 or more for shipping. No thanks. Just keep your eyes open. Tell everyone one you know, not just cyclists, that you are looking for an "old 10 speed" someone has one in their garage. That's what I was doing and finally last weekend my girlfriend's 7 year old son called me and said they just drove by a bike for sale at a roadside flea market. I went and picked up an older Schwinn World Sport in excellent condition, horizontal drop-outs, and stock Sugino cranks for $25. I've stripped it, ground off all the braze-ons, derailleur haner, etc and in the process of painting it. So, I guess what I'm saying is just keep loking, cuz when you least expect it you'll find it.

Jan 2005
    Leave Ebay out the Idea. Go to a few of your local shops. Busy ones. Ask them to call you next time they get an old roadie in thats not worth fixing in your size. Thats how i've set all my friends up. I charged a case of beer for a frame lol.
    "To be a rock, and not roll" - Robert Plant

Done with winter.
    If your city or one near you has an active craigslist be sure to check that out daily... the listings are free so you'll get some inexpensive options there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the advice, fellas. Very much appreciated--I will start opening my eyes a little more locally. I found a couple of Craigs list bikes. Anybody know if people ship, or is that not how it works?
    DFL>DNF>DNS

By the time you get home you won't remember why you didn't want to get off the couch.
    ---Val Garou

Done with winter.
    Thanks for the advice, fellas. Very much appreciated--I will start opening my eyes a little more locally. I found a couple of Craigs list bikes. Anybody know if people ship, or is that not how it works?
    No, usually people use CL like any local classifieds... you go and pick it up or meet at an arrange place. That's why it's broken down by area/city.

Non non normal
    Go to the Trexlertown Swap Meet on Oct 1.

What size are you looking for?
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm looking for a 56cm...Trexlertown looks awesome, but I'm taking my wife camping for the first time...on her birthday. Not sure how that would go over if I bagged out and went ot buy a bike instead... :-O
    DFL>DNF>DNS

---Val Garou

Non non normal
    I'm looking for a 56cm...Trexlertown looks awesome, but I'm taking my wife camping for the first time...on her birthday. Not sure how that would go over if I bagged out and went ot buy a bike instead... :-O
    Oh, you know exactly how it would go over. Have a nice time cooking dogs over the fire.

I will keep an eye out for a 56 in my travels.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    "Dog makes a mighty fine meal."

(Name that film)
    DFL>DNF>DNS

---Val Garou

The Gimlet Eye
    "Dog makes a mighty fine meal."

(Name that film)
    The Patriot

What do I win?

RoadBikeReview Member
    A Gimlet. Extra cold.
    DFL>DNF>DNS

---Val Garou

Apr 2003
    I find that Ebay can often be an easier way to find what you are looking for. If your of average build and don't mind a cheap frame then its probably not hard to find a bike at a thrift store or yard sale. I want 62-63cm road bike with clearence for fat tires and fenders and can take a rack. Because of the number of bikes on Ebay I have a much better chance of finding a match. Craigslist in Cleveland has about 3 bikes a month so its really not a viable alternative.
    And deals can be found on Ebay. I got a complete Trek 400 that looked like it had barely been used for $130 delivered. Maybe its not a $10 Paramount but I still think its a good value.
    Craig

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sah-weet. I thought I had a peugeot from a fellow club member, but it turned out to be a 61 and I need a 56...the search continues. Thank you, fellow knights, for your strength, courage and encouragement as I seek the Fixie Grail.
    DFL>DNF>DNS

---Val Garou